R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Shiny Box" Ribbon Mic?  (Read 4166 times)

Trumpetman2

"Shiny Box" Ribbon Mic?
« on: February 08, 2006, 02:32:50 PM »

Razz Anyone tried it or own it?  I have the "regular" Nady MS-2 and its ok, but not great.  Is the Luhndal version that SB offers a marked improvement? Shocked

Harry Mooseknuckle

Re: "Shiny Box" Ribbon Mic?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 06:55:52 PM »

Well it just so happens that I got my 2 Shinybox mics this week and so far I'm pretty damned pleased. I got the standard 46 as well as a 46c- which is the 46 with the Cinemag upgrade. I have only had enough time to try them on drums so far, but have had pleasing results. Below is a quick little drum thing with the 46c out about 8' in front of the drums about 4' off the floor. I was using an Ampex 351 as the pre.

compasspnt

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 07:21:20 PM »

Thanks for the samples and the loops, Joe!

Sounds good.

Trumpetman2

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 07:41:21 AM »

I couldn't open/play the file for some reason, but thanks much for replying. Rolling Eyes

Harry Mooseknuckle

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 01:14:55 PM »

Hey have at it Terry, whatever inspires you.
Last night I played with that mic on vocals, electric gtr and acoustic gtr, and once again was amazed at how good it sounded. I gotta say that if someone with a daw was lookin to buy one mic to use for everything, this would be a pretty good way to go. Sounds damn good on everything I've tried it on so far.

mr jason

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 12:28:09 PM »

Hey, would you be able to post clips of both the stock 46 and the 46c, recorded at the same time, in the same place, so that we can compare the two mics?
I got one of those T.bone ribbon mics the other week. The newer, lollipop looking one, rather than the one that's the same as the Shinybox/Nady.. Very dark, but for drummers that like even a slightly ringy kick drum it sounds great in front of the kit. It's not a sound that I can get with any other type of mic, so it's already proved pretty handy.
Anyway, I digress..

NelsonL

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 12:55:15 PM »

mr jason wrote on Mon, 13 February 2006 09:28

Hey, would you be able to post clips of both the stock 46 and the 46c, recorded at the same time, in the same place, so that we can compare the two mics?
I got one of those T.bone ribbon mics the other week. The newer, lollipop looking one, rather than the one that's the same as the Shinybox/Nady.. Very dark, but for drummers that like even a slightly ringy kick drum it sounds great in front of the kit. It's not a sound that I can get with any other type of mic, so it's already proved pretty handy.
Anyway, I digress..

Here are some clips, but they're mostly the 23:

http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9226&hi ghlight=shinybox

http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9168&hi ghlight=shinybox

mr jason

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 01:02:42 PM »

Thanks Rattleyour,
I'd already heard all the samples from the Shinybox website, and couldn't notice much of a difference on the acoustic guitar samples. Maybe I have cloth ears..  Rolling Eyes
I'm interested to hear Harry play some more drums though, using both his 46 anbd 46c, cos it's mainly on drums that I'm currently using the t.bone. Should be interesting.. It's always interesting to hear how you can alter/improve cheap equipment later on, by taking out bits (ie: the SM57 mod, which I did recently), adding bits (the Behringer ECM8000 mod, or turning cheap LDCs into valve mics) or simply changing the transformer, like on these cheap ribbon mics. I'm wondering how easy it is to change the transformer for an idiot like me...?
I fix leads and things like that in my studio and whilst putting on gigs, but that's about the extent of my skills.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 20 queries.