R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sinking my Head  (Read 1090 times)

moogus

Sinking my Head
« on: January 25, 2006, 07:24:48 AM »

I just joined the legion of AEs that have bought a HEDD on spec, based on the seemingly unanimous opinion of the users that post here.  And I couldnt be happier with my decision!

But now I have a question about how to best way to sync it to my audio interfaces.

I have two Layla24s which up until now have been synced via wordclock with the first interface as master.  The HEDD is connected to the SPDIF i/o of the second Layla, and Ive got the sync going like this:

Layla 1, set to internal clock -(wordclock)- HEDD, set to sync from WC -(SPDIF)- Layla 2, set to sync from SPDIF

This setup seems to give me no out of sync pops/clicks and also means recordings made with the HEDD are time accurate with recordings via the Layla's inputs.  

However, Im not sure if syncing the HEDD to the Layla means that its using the Layla'a (no doubt) lower quality clock over its internal clock.  Can anyone tell me what the story with this is?  If this is the case, is there another way I can sync it all up to avoid this problem?

Thanks in advance for your time, patience and considered advice.

Matt R
This supports my pet theory that weird, purple jellyfish are behind everything peculiar that ever happens anywhere.

bobkatz

Re: Sinking my Head
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 10:22:37 PM »

moogus wrote on Wed, 25 January 2006 07:24

I just joined the legion of AEs that have bought a HEDD on spec, based on the seemingly unanimous opinion of the users that post here.  And I couldnt be happier with my decision!

But now I have a question about how to best way to sync it to my audio interfaces.

I have two Layla24s which up until now have been synced via wordclock with the first interface as master.  The HEDD is connected to the SPDIF i/o of the second Layla, and Ive got the sync going like this:

Layla 1, set to internal clock -(wordclock)- HEDD, set to sync from WC -(SPDIF)- Layla 2, set to sync from SPDIF

This setup seems to give me no out of sync pops/clicks and also means recordings made with the HEDD are time accurate with recordings via the Layla's inputs.  

However, Im not sure if syncing the HEDD to the Layla means that its using the Layla'a (no doubt) lower quality clock over its internal clock.  Can anyone tell me what the story with this is?  If this is the case, is there another way I can sync it all up to avoid this problem?

Thanks in advance for your time, patience and considered advice.

Matt R

Dear Matt: You're doing fine. Glad you like the Hedd. As long as you are using it strictly as a D-D (digital) processor, then it doesn't matter the quality of the clock from the Layla as long as you don't get tics or clicks. The only time you need to worry about clock is if you are using the HEDD as your analog insert machine. In that case, it should run in internal sync and be the source of clock for your DAW and for the Layla which should then run on SPDIF sync. It may seem counterintuitive that the source of the clock is in the MIDDLE of the audio chain, but it works..  your clock master does not have to be the same as the origin of the audio.

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

lowland

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 10:43:44 AM »

What Bob said - no problem with all-digital, which I still do from time to time.

I also use the HEDD as my 'analogue insert machine' for which it's very well suited - in fact I think I've just persuaded another ME to buy a HEDD and use it like this.

My usual audio workflow with analogue gear (digital is via AES): DAW->digital processor #1->HEDD DAC->analogue compressor->HEDD ADC->digital processor #2->DAW

My usual clock scheme in that case: HEDD ADC (acting as master clock)->digital processor #2->DAW->digital processor #1->HEDD DAC

Yes, it did seem a bit strange having the clock in the middle somewhere, but it works very well.
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
Essex, UK
www.lowlandmasters.com

moogus

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 09:21:14 AM »

Thanks guys, this is what I first thought.  The HEDD is now the master clock whenever Im using it for AD/DA and its all working nicely.  It turned out the problem was that I had forgotten to set the digital input (on the Layla) that the HEDD was connected to as the timing master in my recording software, hence the time delay when recording with the HEDD.  All fixed now!

BTW Bob, I received your book for christmas (thanks mum) and am really enjoying it.  Though not all of the info is new to me, its still great to read through and fill in the gaps, some of which I didnt know were there!  Especially the digital theory and the cd manufacturing sections.  I will be keeping it on the coffee table in my studio with the pages about cd loudness and your 'real recipe for radio-ready' (among others) flagged and ready to show clients at the flick of the wrist.
Thanks, I will be reccomending it to _everyone_.

Matt
This supports my pet theory that weird, purple jellyfish are behind everything peculiar that ever happens anywhere.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.