R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What's your home stereo like?  (Read 19094 times)

Barish

Re: What's your home stereo like?
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2006, 01:47:17 PM »

Coatbridge (I know, I know... just outside civilization...)

B.

M Ozturk

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2006, 07:43:34 PM »

jimmyjazz wrote on Sun, 22 January 2006 04:10

dcollins wrote on Sat, 21 January 2006 22:10

I will say that the Linn is one of the most poorly-constructed things I've ever seen.  Truly embarrassing.  It sounds ok, I guess, kind of slow and overly full.

Yep.  I actually interviewed (by phone) with Ivor T about a job at Linn after grad school.  Ultimately, the horrid standard of living in Glasgow scared me off, but when I had a chance to really dig into a Linn TT, I was appalled (and glad I didn't head overseas to help engineer the things).  They have predictable resonance issues, etc., but seem to work well in a full-on Linn/Naim system, and less so elsewhere.

Quote:

But that's what I want in a home stereo, every recording appears made by a beautiful genius.  If I want accurate, I'll listen at work.

Pretty much what I said earlier, but better.

Exactly what is wrong with the standard of living in Glasgow? I have lived in this city for 16 years. ive worked in good studios here and ive worked in good studios elswhere. I love Glasgow. If you like music (instead of just Linn who are well reguarded as being good employers and they make very nice studio monitors) you may be surprised to find out exactly who comes from this city. Most of the really great scottish bands Live right here in Glasgow and have not made the tragic move to London. Please dont be hard on a city you have never visited. There are few more welcoming places on the planet than Glasgow and that goes for the rest of Our country also.

jimmyjazz

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2006, 04:14:39 AM »

slartibard wrote on Wed, 08 March 2006 19:43

Please dont be hard on a city you have never visited.

Well, I have visited Glasgow, but that's irrelevant.

I shouldn't have said "horrid" when I was describing the standard of living.  That's not fair.  What I was trying to get at was the relative buying power my engineer's salary would have in Glasgow as opposed to the US (or at least the areas of the US I was considering).

My last name is easy to find . . . I won't post an image, but suffice it to say that between the name and the physical characteristics, you'd (correctly) deduce that I feel right at home in Scotland!

Sahib

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2006, 04:28:44 PM »

I have deleted this post as it was unnecessary.

Cemal

jimmyjazz

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2006, 06:13:47 PM »

Sahib wrote on Thu, 09 March 2006 16:28

You just stay where you are as we wouldn't want to to bring the tone of our city down.

Re-fucking-lax, Cemal.  I already explained what I meant -- I was referring to the salaries Linn's engineers were paid and what type of housing, etc. that would command.  I wasn't saying Glasgow was a dump.

Sahib

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2006, 10:58:59 AM »

Jimmy,

Sorry. I should have read your last post. I didn't mean to go for you. I have edited it as it is unnecessary.

Anyhow, in terms of housing there are dumps same as everywhere. Yes generally the salaries are low comparing to US. House prices rocketed sky high and quite often I wonder how people can afford it. On the other hand the new built are selling like hot cakes and I have no idea who buys them. I am talking about apartments that go for almost half a million dollar.

Next time you are coming over just give us a call. I'll buy the healing drinks.

Cemal

jimmyjazz

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2006, 11:17:09 AM »

Sahib wrote on Fri, 10 March 2006 10:58

Jimmy,

Sorry. I should have read your last post. I didn't mean to go for you. I have edited it as it is unnecessary.

No worries.  I over-reacted, so "my bad" as the kids say.

Quote:

Next time you are coming over just give us a call. I'll buy the healing drinks.

You are so on.  It will be 16 months or so, as the wife and I are planning a European vacation next summer.  This summer is too soon.  Our 2-year-old would have a stroke if we left him with his grandmother.  (I think she'd have a stroke, too.)

I think we'll probably fly in and out of London, but spend most of our time in Scotland (perhaps a week) with a few days spent in Paris, too.  I'm ready to book tickets NOW!

Sahib

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2006, 12:50:30 PM »

jimmyjazz wrote on Fri, 10 March 2006 16:17

You are so on.  It will be 16 months or so, as the wife and I are planning a European vacation next summer.  This summer is too soon.  Our 2-year-old would have a stroke if we left him with his grandmother.  (I think she'd have a stroke, too.)

I have a five year old son and my mother-in-law already gave us an ultimatum that she is too old for this.

Quote:

I think we'll probably fly in and out of London, but spend most of our time in Scotland (perhaps a week) with a few days spent in Paris, too.  I'm ready to book tickets NOW!

Well, it would be my (and Barish's) pleasure to meet you. Just let us know. Do you have relatives here or is it just a visit?

Cemal

jimmyjazz

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2006, 02:11:53 PM »

Sahib wrote on Fri, 10 March 2006 12:50

Do you have relatives here or is it just a visit?

Theoretically, I have relatives in the UK, but I wouldn't know how to find them.  My mom & dad's ancestors both emigrated to what was to become the United States over 300 years ago!  (My last name is Andrews -- MacAndrew(s) is a sept of the Scottish clan "Ross".)

Sahib

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2006, 02:37:06 PM »

Jimmy,

If you really want it then it is really easy. Births deaths and marriages are very well archived here. Put it that way, I was doing a research on a particular Scot who lived between mid 1700 and and beginning of 1800. I was able to get his great grand father's details without any problem. If you want I would be happy to help.

In the mean time you can start here;

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

hdunit

« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2006, 11:52:05 PM »

Rega P3 + RB300 + Elys Cart
Naim CD3
Naim NAC22
Naim NAP120
Linn Sara Isobariks
Naim NACA5 Cable

crm0922

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2006, 07:03:00 PM »

Home:

crappy technics DD table w/ Grado Black cart
NAD PP-2 phono pre
crappy Onkyo CD player -> DAC1 D/A
Jolida JD-502B (60Wx2 w/ JJ KT88's)
Celestion 7's
Mogami wire

Car:

line-out modded factory head-unit 6 disc changer
Sirius Starmate Replay (worst fidelity you can imagine, good ONLY for talk)
Soundstream parametric EQ w/ sub phase
Zapco Z400C4SL balanced input 4x50W amp w/ crossover
Zapco Z200C2SL balanced sub amp bridged to 320x1
Morel 6" woofers
B&G ribbon tweeters w/ custom passive crossover/protection
old-school kicker free-air subs in rear deck
Daxx and Mogami wire

I drive like 2-3 hours a day, so the car system sees the most use, and it sounds amazing, so I thought I'd mention it here.

C

Tim Perry

« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2006, 12:57:19 AM »

B&K ref50 pre/processor
Crown XLS 402 amps
Klipsch THX Ultra 2's
SVS PC-Ultra subwoofer
RANE THX 44 EQ
DBX 231 EQ
Kenwood mega cd changer with digital out
PIII 700 over clocked to 933 for DVD play back scaled to projectors resolution
Optoma DLP projector
DirecTV HDTV receiver
DirecTV TIVO

I don't listen to much music on it, most use is HDTV and DVDs.

onekid

« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2006, 07:18:40 AM »

Thorens TD160 w/modifications suggestions from "The Analog Dept"
Grado Gold, SME 3009 w/modifications suggestions from "The Analog Dept"
Scott 299B fully restored
Philips 963SA SACD player
North Creek Rythm Unlimited Speakers
Silver Sonic cable
Jeffrey Lonigro

jamiehowarth

« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2006, 01:06:56 AM »

Linn Sondek LP12 w Koetsu Black and Mark Levinson (and believe it or not Stanton) phono preamps via Monolithic switch box to to Bel Canto 300 to Infinity Intermezzo 2.6

Accuphase DP70 Cd player AES/EBU modified, or some generic Panasonic DVD-A/SACD player to either

Fireface to Bel Canto 300 to Infinity Intermezzo 2.6
or

ProTools to Tact (no d/a) to Infinity Intermezzo 2.6

Runs gamut from totally old school analog to nothing but numbers out to the speakers. Both have merit. The speed stability of the Linn is outstanding. I'm in the process of modifying it to drive our wow and flutter system directly servoed from the platter, and will be able to totally dewow its output, which should be cool. All the wow that's left will be from the Neumann cutter which should be negligible.
Jamie Howarth
plangent processes
jamie@plangentprocesses.com

"Typically the first reaction to hearing our flutter reduction system is "WOW!" and we say, 'nope, not anymore' ".
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 19 queries.