R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cleaning Pinch Rollers  (Read 16464 times)

perky b

Cleaning Pinch Rollers
« on: January 14, 2006, 07:15:29 PM »

For one thing, thanks so much for hosting this forum. I love your work and approach- and it is very generous of you to share your knowledge.

In a nutshell- is it necessary to use something other than typical 99++% alcohol to clean the pinch roller on a 2" deck? I have heard conflicting reports- such as that rubber-cleaning solvents dry out the pinch roller- etc---and I wonder what you use?

Thanks!

zmix

Re: Cleaning Pinch Rollers
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 08:02:09 PM »

Isopropanol (alchohol) does cause rubber to harden and crack. Naptha (the ingredient in most rubber cleaners) is a good cleaner for pinch rollers, as is -believe it or not- Formula 409 houshold cleaner. Beware that 409 can cause oxidation of untreated aluminum, so do not spray it.

bobkatz

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 08:03:34 PM »

perky b wrote on Sat, 14 January 2006 19:15

For one thing, thanks so much for hosting this forum. I love your work and approach- and it is very generous of you to share your knowledge.

In a nutshell- is it necessary to use something other than typical 99++% alcohol to clean the pinch roller on a 2" deck? I have heard conflicting reports- such as that rubber-cleaning solvents dry out the pinch roller- etc---and I wonder what you use?

Thanks!

Now I am not a chemist, but I do believe that if your pinch roller is the right formula (real rubber?) then you can use isopropryl regularly for at least 32 years without damaging the pinch roller! I add the caveat "right formula" because I am not excluding the possibility that certain types of urethanes might be damaged. I have used 91 through 99% isopropyl alcohol solvent on my Technics pinch rollers since I bought the machine in 1972 or so and the rubber is as supple, soft, compliant as it was when new! Is that evidence or is that evidence?

But as a rule, if your swab comes off black, stop cleaning! It should only be used to remove the brown oxide residue.

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

bushwick

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 09:55:30 PM »

I assume no liabilty on this since there are different types out there but I was told the but the head studer tech at SONY that Fatastic "Orange" cleaner works great and doesn't degrade the rubber. Thats what I use for an occasional cleaning and it works just great.

Best,
j
Joshua Kessler
bushwick  studio
brooklyn, ny
www.bushwickstudio.com

electrical

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 10:26:20 PM »

There are rubber, urethane and neoprene pinch rollers, and each have different sensitivities to chemicals.

Rubber, use naptha (be careful as the rubber will be slightly sticky until the naptha evaporates) or an organic oil, like simple green or orange cleaner.

Neoprene, use alcohol or mild detergent (dish detergent) and water.

Urethane I've heard conflicting stories. Some say use mild detergent, some say alcohol. Don't use an organic solvent like naptha or toluene.
best,

steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electrical dot com
www.electrical.com

bobkatz

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 11:38:51 PM »

electrical wrote on Sat, 14 January 2006 22:26

There are rubber, urethane and neoprene pinch rollers, and each have different sensitivities to chemicals.

Rubber, use naptha (be careful as the rubber will be slightly sticky until the naptha evaporates) or an organic oil, like simple green or orange cleaner.

Neoprene, use alcohol or mild detergent (dish detergent) and water.

Urethane I've heard conflicting stories. Some say use mild detergent, some say alcohol. Don't use an organic solvent like naptha or toluene.

We have to add a fourth category. I had a special pinch roller made for my Studer that's some other incredibly compliant material. I don't remember what it it's named anymore. (Senior moment #233).

The moral of the story?  I guess if you don't know, use distilled water. It would be a real service for someone to tally the types of pinch rollers provided by certain manufacturers and the recommended solvents. My Technics must be Neoprene, it's lasted forever with Isopropyl.

BK

Fletcher

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 11:49:03 AM »

FWIW "Windex" works well in every application with the exception of cleaning heads and removing adhesives.  A bottle of Windex should be able to solve 95% of all your cleaning requirements w/o any worries or stress.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

perky b

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 06:10:44 PM »

Well! Thanks for the great responses. Very helpful. My only question now is what my pinch roller is made of. I have a stock Otari MX 80. FWIW, the goo on the swabs is orange- not black....so that's one
less thing to worry about. Does anyone know what Otari used for its pinch rollers? Thanks!!!!!!

bobkatz

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2006, 09:46:42 PM »

perky b wrote on Sun, 15 January 2006 18:10

Well! Thanks for the great responses. Very helpful. My only question now is what my pinch roller is made of. I have a stock Otari MX 80. FWIW, the goo on the swabs is orange- not black....so that's one
less thing to worry about. Does anyone know what Otari used for its pinch rollers? Thanks!!!!!!

If it's a real genuine Otari (often red colored) pinch roller I'd be very cautious about using strong alcohol or higher volatility solvents. Maybe not even isopropyl.  I'd use Fantastic followed by distilled water to wipe it off. Or that Orange clean stuff.

BK

jetbase

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2006, 11:37:55 PM »

back when i had an otari mx5050 mk III my tech advised me to use warm soapy water & a toothbrush on the pinch roller.

i like the sound of the "windex" method. it reminds me of "my big fat greek wedding".

cheers,
glenn
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

Teddy G.

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2006, 12:13:42 AM »

Used to be able to buy tiny bottles of "Rubber Drive Cleaner"(White label, blue letters?), which cleaned beautifully AND softened-up "hardening" rollers, as well. Though after use I used to go over the rollers with a bit of alcohol, to remove the - rather oily - cleaner itself. Worked great!

Years after I'd used my last reel-to-reel, I pulled the last few drops out of an old bottle in a last-ditch effort to "restore" the hard-as-a-rock, rubber roller on a pin printer. Came up just like new and worked fine 'til I went ink jet, a couple of years later.

Teddy G.

ericswan

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2006, 12:45:35 AM »

I clean the pinch roller on my MX 80 with a small amount dish soap & water and a toothbrush and have never had any problems.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken." Oscar Wilde

Sacred Heart Studio
www.sacredheartstudio.net
www.myspace.com/sacredheartstudio

vernier

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2006, 10:04:39 PM »

Hven't ever cleaned a pinch-roller (been recording since 50's) ...but the Windex idea sounds kinda neat!

Tidewater

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2006, 10:19:03 AM »

GoJo (original, not citrus, or superduper or GoJo 2000!)is a fantastic cleaner, and conditioner.

Windex works great because it's 9000% isopropyl.

M
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 20 queries.