R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remembering the original R-E-P  (Read 1792 times)

brewsbee

Remembering the original R-E-P
« on: May 20, 2004, 06:40:54 PM »

I've been away for a while, and when I came back...whoa!  Rec Pit had gone, and something surprisingly familiar was in its place.

Good ol' R/E/P.  I subscribed back in '74.  My first issue was December, the one with "MERRY XMAS" spelled out on the lit bus assign buttons of the API.

I know that PSW/Live Sound inherited the rights to the logo and the back issue files via the sale by Intertec many years ago.  Hey, any chance we'll see PDFs posted of some of those great old stories?  (Okay, some of them were mine. I don't expect to be paid.)

Couldn't find anything else about this anywhere.  I did a search on Martin Gallay, rest his soul, and it came up empty.  Let's see if we find him now...
Bruce Borgerson
Sound Supervisor, First UMC, Medford, OR
"You can't stand up all by yourself..."

Touchwood Studios

Re: Remembering the original R-E-P
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2004, 01:47:13 AM »

I think I trashed all my old copies of REP years ago. All I can remember about REP is that my sub. was free. I can't even remember what year it swas all over. Does anyone know?

Jules

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2004, 04:05:30 PM »

I LOVED it!

Who else would run a 4 page article that  debated the merits of DIFFERENT toilet paper on NS10's!!!!!

And put a photo of NS10's and different brands of toilet paper... ON THE FRONT COVER!!!!

(I should a saved that edition)

Seriously.. I loved it for the revealing tips and methods in it's superstar interviews..

But I feel we are getting that sort of info here on the net these days....

- It was great

brewsbee

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2004, 06:29:23 PM »

Interesting story there.  Marty Gallay, the founder, sold R-E-P to Intertec Publishing in the late 80's sometime.  They kept long-time editor Mel Lambert, but shifted HQ to Kansas City. The new structure didn't work out.  The magazine started to drift, losing advertisers and readers on the recording side, though a sharp live sound guy, Anthony (Mark) McLean started buidling the live sound end of things.

Anyway, after Intertec sold the mag to some Midwestern outfit, it floundered for a few issues in the early 90's, then ceased publication.  But from the ashes, McLean and a few others started Live Sound International, and they still owned the rights to the R-E-P logo and any copyrighted materials.  (Including my stuff?)

So, R-E-P the mag has been dead for about a decade, I believe.  Did I get that right, Keith?

Note that Intertec later became part of Primedia, the giant that now owns Mix.
Bruce Borgerson
Sound Supervisor, First UMC, Medford, OR
"You can't stand up all by yourself..."

tlubin

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 05:17:18 AM »

This thread is pretty old and I don't know if anyone will read my addition.  

A couple of days ago I was going through a box of things that I've done and came across a few of the RePs.

I thought of Martin and wondering what happened to him after ReP.    The industry never really acknowledged the contribution he made to the independant recording producing community.  I too grew up ready the mag from cover to cover.  I got pretty good at engineering in the late 60s and 70s.  I started writing a few articles, and in 79  Martin flew up to San Fran and asked me to become the Managing Editor.  
I did it for a couple of year, and then wanted to get back into it.  I recall seeing Mel, who was with Studio Sound (the UK mag that I also read cover to cover) and saying that if he wanted to come to LA he would probably be the next Managing editor when I left.  And he was.
I commissioned the article on the toilet paper on the nc-10.

For those of you who might recall me, I now live in Perth Australia.  I don't do sound anyomre, but I miss it.  

All the best to those who remember what was a great magazine.

tom lubin

maxim

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 08:19:37 AM »

so what was the best brand of toilet paper?

Barry Hufker

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2006, 01:18:44 PM »

The toilet paper issue was the April Fools' issue.

For those not knowing the story, this is how I understand it.  Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

So the lenged goes: Bob Clearmountain was mixing a record in a control room with NS10s. At some point the high frequency response of the speaker irritated him.  Not having any other solution, he put toilet paper (whatever was found in the bathroom) over the tweeters in an attempt to tone them down.

Some people visited Bob, or managed to duck their heads in -- whatever -- and notice the TP on the tweeters.  Bob had a hit tune come out of that mix ---  as he does so often out of his mixes anywhere.  But instead of attributing the hit to Bob's talent, the visitors (enventually all kinds of people) attributed the success to TP on the NS10 tweeter.

So, as a gag about what had become something of an industry rage, REP ran an article about the "sonic effects of various kinds of toilet paper" -- two ply, four ply, scented, unscented, etc.

That kind of calmed things down a bit, but as I understand it, the NS10M comes directly out of this toilet paper issue.

So that is how I understand the tale.  Maybe someone knows more correctly.

Barry
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 20 queries.