R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DBX 1046 or Presonus CL44-Desperate Newbie  (Read 4423 times)

Asagaai

DBX 1046 or Presonus CL44-Desperate Newbie
« on: January 12, 2006, 05:24:17 AM »

Embarassed

I have just finsihed buidling a medium studio with separate control room/tracking room, and am a newbie who knows crap all about recording.  Other half is a professional singer who has written 15 originals, recorded 1 last week and almost re-fried all my alcohol and other misdeameanour deeds dead brain cells.  She has a huge upper end brassy voice, for a small person.  It was clear, no distortion, but just waaay waaay too much.

Tried getting her to work mike, rode the pre-amp faders, then used post tracking compression in Traktion, helped but still too much.

I have heard that a good approach is compression via hardware on tracking, and software compression in mix.

Have ordered RNC Compressor (concerned about unbalanced but using short 1 foot unbalanced leads) for vocals and acoustic guitar/congas, but need 4 channel compression for drums/electric bass.

I know a Drawmer or Rane would be nice, but too expensive.  Which should I go for , DBX 1046 (appears to be honest workhorse) or a Presonus CL44.

My other gear-Rode NT 2000, Rode S1, Shure PG56 and 52, Studio Projects SP 828, M Audio Delta 1010, M Audio BX 8a monitors, berenger quad headphone mixer.

I could really do with some experienced balanced input.  No unbalanced input here please.

Cheers

John Ivan

Re: DBX 1046 or Presonus CL44-Desperate Newbie
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 01:00:11 PM »

I'm a fan of both product lines but only own the DBX stuff. I have a pair DBX 1066's and really like them. There is a feature called "peak stop limiting" that is useless though. They are built like a tank and sound great for general use comp's. I use them on vox some times.

I take it, the 1046 is the four channel version and has no gate?? That's fine. IMHO. you will be getting the best part of the 10 series. X 4. I've always loved DBX stuff and own a bunch of their old cheap stuff.

The Presonus stuff I've used? I thought it was the best low cost Mic pre I've ever heard. { The two channel job}. And I used there big 8 channel comp and thought it sounded fine. So, IMHO, In either case, you will be getting good stuff,built well, quiet and long lasting.

Now, I would not be overly concerned about some stuff being unbalanced in your rig unless you hear a noise problem. If you don't hear noise , or have an interfacing problem, don't worry. It's fine..

The RNC is a great comp. I am finally going to own a couple soon. When it comes to some thing's, it kicks the DBX's ass. so, don't think that unbalanced means BAD. It's fine if there is no noise and you can interface with your other gear.

Ivan...........................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Fibes

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 01:06:11 PM »

The DBX 10 series comps are grainy stunt comps IMNSHO. But when you need the kick to sound like a wet fish they really can do the job post haste.

I do however like the 160a and the 900 series units quite a bit.
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

John Ivan

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 01:25:18 PM »

Fibes wrote on Thu, 12 January 2006 13:06

The DBX 10 series comps are grainy stunt comps IMNSHO. But when you need the kick to sound like a wet fish they really can do the job post haste.

I do however like the 160a and the 900 series units quite a bit.

Wow, that's not what I have found at all. Interesting. The thing I liked about it when I listened before I bought them is, It didn't change the audio passing through it as much as comps costing way more. One does need to be very careful about how much compression is used though. I like the contour button also..

I love the 900/160 VCA's though, much better... I wish I could afford better shit. ;-{

I love my Altec opto's on bass and some vox. ;-} I have some Harris Broadcast comp's that sound CRAZY good on multi guitar buses. I love comp's....
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Asagaai

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 07:26:27 AM »

Shocked

Thanks for the replies Ivan.  Seems I will go DBX 1046, gets a good wrap from a lot of people, however it is knocked by lots too, but the Knockers always advocate gear which is like double or triple or more in price.

Cheers

Fibes

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 09:42:32 AM »

Asagaai wrote on Fri, 13 January 2006 07:26

Shocked

Thanks for the replies Ivan.  Seems I will go DBX 1046, gets a good wrap from a lot of people, however it is knocked by lots too, but the Knockers always advocate gear which is like double or triple or more in price.

Cheers

The RNC and the limiter would be my "picks."

Everyone has their preferences and it's important you make your own decisions as to what is gonna work for you. Ivan and I disagree and I used to dig the 1066 a lot more before i picked up my MXR Mini Limiters for squash. 50 bucks each.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it works out.
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

John Ivan

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 05:30:40 PM »

Yeah,, I have a very wacky MXR Pitch shifter. {the big Blue one} Crazy thing!!  I've heard those mini's before. Seemed great at squishing the crap out of stuff..

The RNC's I would say are the best deal going. They don't do everything but they do lots of thing's great..

Fibes is right on when he says you need to hear it for yourself. I find the 1066 useful,others don't. That's what it's all about. Only you can hear what you hear..

best of luck,

P.S. I find it nice to have a variety of comp's because they all sound/behave differently.

Ivan.........

rankus

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 02:18:20 PM »

As a long time DBX160a owner I decided to try one of the new 1066's as my older unit is starting to crackle now and then.

Short story:  The 1066 went back to the store.... swapped it for a RNC .... took that back the next day too...

So, I'm in the market for a good two channel comp....
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.