R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Apex 460 running hot  (Read 10818 times)

Paul G

Apex 460 running hot
« on: March 21, 2011, 11:59:29 AM »

Hi guys.  First post on the new forum.

I bought a 460 with the intention of having it modded.  I did a 48 hr burn in.  I want to cut some text tracks prior to the mods.  Thing is, it's running very hot to the touch!  I have three other tube mics and none of them run this hot.  Anyone have any experience with this?  Anyone heard anything?  Thanks.

Paul ;D

Fletcher

Re: Apex 460 running hot
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 09:34:40 AM »

If you were planning on having it modified perhaps its not an issue.  I'm sure many / most of the modifications will toss the amplifier / output transformer bits [as they're pretty crappy] so the "running hot" thing shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Paul G

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 09:42:39 AM »

If you were planning on having it modified perhaps its not an issue.  I'm sure many / most of the modifications will toss the amplifier / output transformer bits [as they're pretty crappy] so the "running hot" thing shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Peace.
Thanks for posting Fletcher.  I was of that same mind however, if there is something basically wrong with it I'd want to deal with that under warranty instead of having to pay someone to fix it.  It seems to be working OK though.

I posted over at that other forum where a lot of guys have these mics.  We'll see if I get a response.  Thanks again.

;D

Fletcher

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 11:43:07 AM »

I am [for the umpteenth time] banned on the "other" forum... just curious, what was the final decision of how to roll?
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

bigbone

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 12:00:01 PM »

I am [for the umpteenth time] banned on the "other" forum... just curious, what was the final decision of how to roll?

That's what happened when you give good advice at the ''other '' forum.......... ;)

Paul G

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 02:25:20 PM »

I didn't get much response.  Maybe I was in the wrong forum.  One man's hot is another man's warm.  Hot is not normal, however, it seems to be working OK.  I'm going to go ahead with the mods.  Thanks.

Paul :D

Fletcher

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 05:07:43 PM »

If its working... its working.  Just curious... what are you planning on for the mod?
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

mbrebes

• Real Full Name: Michael Brebes
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 05:37:11 PM »

What I did to make it a good usable mic is:
1. Change 12AX7A to 12AY7/6025
2. Remove cathode follower part of circuit
3. Replace transformer with Cinemag
4. Replace capsule
5. Replace parts to match C12 circuit.

Paul G

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 06:16:49 PM »

If its working... its working.  Just curious... what are you planning on for the mod?
I'm going to have Michael Jolly do his mod on it.  I've done the 603 mod and plan on messing with the old capsule in a cheap mic I have lying around here but I don't feel confident enough to tackle this one.

;D

Fletcher

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 11:58:29 PM »

All due respect, from my experience the amplifier / output transformer is a far weaker element of the 460 than the capsule... but as always, YMMV.  For that matter, a capsule mod will do nothing about the heat factor [if heat is indeed a factor at all]

Peace.
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

JCraft

• Real Full Name: James Craft
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 09:27:46 AM »

Modded mine with a bud that's an old school tube geek. Changed the circuit to that of a original C12, NOS GE 5 star 6072A, Cinemag transformer, some better caps, silver wire, blah, blah... The capsule that came with mine had a nasty wrinkle about 3/8" long on the back side so we replaced it with a Peluso CEK-89 (money being one issue and the CEK-89 is a 32mm capsule which fits the Apex correctly, the 34mm is a really tight fit in that head basket) which ended up not as "Bright" as a C12, but more to my liking really. All in all I ended up with about $500 in the mic and consider it well worth that.

Podgorny

• Real Full Name: Kyle Mann
  • What 500-series mic pre works best as a door stop?
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 01:05:32 PM »

That's what happened when you give good advice at the ''other '' forum.......... ;)

Not sure what forum or advice you're alluding to, but none of the major audio forums has banned anyone without good reason.

bigbone

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 03:03:47 AM »

Podgorny

• Real Full Name: Kyle Mann
  • What 500-series mic pre works best as a door stop?
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 10:43:10 AM »

And what does "........." mean?

You're making accusations about particular forums, and unwilling to substantiate your claim?

bigbone

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 10:54:07 AM »

And what does "........." mean?

You're making accusations about particular forums, and unwilling to substantiate your claim?

Did i talk to you......
I was talking to Fletcher.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 24 queries.