R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: common cures for the ill track  (Read 2369 times)

j.hall

common cures for the ill track
« on: February 08, 2006, 12:42:06 PM »

i learned how to get rid of that horrible adat clipping sound on guitars last night.

a little sans amp PSA-1 plug-in, some tweaking.......horrible frizz sound is gone.  the tone isn't all that awesome (wasn't to begin with anyway) but it works with the track and the frizz is gone.

anybody else have some good cures?

NelsonL

Re: common cures for the ill track
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 02:07:12 PM »

Well, nothing super specific like that.

I've been re-amping soft synths lately to good effect.

While I prefer real instruments to midi, I've been using it more and more on keys. For one thing, I sometimes "compress" the velocity rather than the actual audio track to create a more balanced performance.

Prabha

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 08:22:22 AM »

Some time ago, fighting to make an alto sax to sound with a bit more body I tried the Aphex big bottom plug in, tuning it quite high (some 350hz).

Big difference, and it simply can't be done with eq.

I have almost never recorded an alto sax that sounded completely pleasing (to my ears), this trick makes it sound a bit like a tenor sax when played in its higher octaves.

just my two cents

Juan Pablo Quezada

www.santuariosonico.cl

j.hall

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 12:29:58 PM »

good idea!

garret

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 01:13:42 PM »

Most of my tracks are ill at some point...  Smile  And many of them stay that way.  Heh.

One thing that helps me tremendously in trying to make my tunes as healthy as possible is "round robin" mixing.

I go through and mute everything... then I pick out pairs of tracks, and listen to them together.    Sometimes when I listen to a whole mix, I don't here the interplay very well -- spots where the kick drum rhythm and the bass don't fit very well, or where melodies (especially counterpoint) and overall harmony are a bit too dissonant.

I find this is also a very good way to evaluate takes for timing... If I'm comping vocals, say, I'll just listen to them against the drums + bass.  Guitars, keys, whatever else often just get in the way of hearing what's important.

Maybe this is mixing 101, and everyone does this...

-Garret
tomorrow is already here - http://www.worksongs.net/

NelsonL

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 03:01:21 PM »

garretg wrote on Fri, 10 February 2006 10:13

Most of my tracks are ill at some point...  Smile  And many of them stay that way.  Heh.

One thing that helps me tremendously in trying to make my tunes as healthy as possible is "round robin" mixing.

I go through and mute everything... then I pick out pairs of tracks, and listen to them together.    Sometimes when I listen to a whole mix, I don't here the interplay very well -- spots where the kick drum rhythm and the bass don't fit very well, or where melodies (especially counterpoint) and overall harmony are a bit too dissonant.

I find this is also a very good way to evaluate takes for timing... If I'm comping vocals, say, I'll just listen to them against the drums + bass.  Guitars, keys, whatever else often just get in the way of hearing what's important.

Maybe this is mixing 101, and everyone does this...

-Garret

I think one common practice is to zero the board and then start with drums etc. adding tracks as you go. So in some ways this has a similar effect. I know I tend to solo the rhythm section at times.

Of course, everybody's different.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.