R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ampex 351 mod  (Read 3683 times)

absolutkj

ampex 351 mod
« on: January 09, 2006, 10:21:39 PM »

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question.  Maybe I should place this on the electrical audio website, but I was wondering if Steve (or anyone who has modded the ampex 351 into the electrical audio preamp design) has a parts list for the project.  I recently saved one of these line amps from the trash and I would like to try the modification, but I'm confused on some of the necessary replacement parts.  I have the schematics that greg drew up on electrical audio's website, but I was just hoping someone had a parts list to make my ordering troubles a little easier.  Thanks.    

Harry Mooseknuckle

Re: ampex 351 mod
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 12:20:19 AM »

It is not a line amp, it's a mic pre. And assuming that it is a working unit, you should be able to rig up some ac to the power on the back and start using it. The mod's that Steve does are certainly cool, but not necessary for you to begin using it to get some great sounds out of. Fabulous pre for ribbon mics. 3d sonics with plenty of headroom.

Bryson

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 06:42:42 AM »

Harry Mooseknuckle wrote on Mon, 09 January 2006 21:20

It is not a line amp, it's a mic pre.

It's both, though the line in is just the mic in with a pad, unless the unbalanced input mode is used.

Check this site:
http://www.recordist.com/ampex/reptips.html

electrical

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 02:37:18 PM »

There's a schematic and thread about the modification on the electrical forum here. They are a terriffic preamp with ribbons and dynamic mics, and if the source impedance isn't too low, they can be terriffic with condenser mics.
best,

steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electrical dot com
www.electrical.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 20 queries.