R/E/P > Mastering Dynamics

Pink Noise without Distortions?

(1/2) > >>

SoundBurger:
To Admin - no idea if my real name is showing so please dont just summarily delete this post if its not.  Im new here.  Thanks.

Question for the sound experts.  Having a difficult time with this concept of Pink Noise.  I am in need of a solid "white noise-esque" sound to help with sleep, and im not sure what other forum to ask this on.

Is there a way to generate a consistent pink noise without *noticeable* distortion?  I have downloaded app after app on the iphone that play "pink noise" and without exception, they all seem to loop every 10 seconds, and they all have some sort of distortion that creeps up.  Almost always, its 8 seconds of perfection and 1 second of a "thud" ... or a "bleep" ... or a "swirl" ... or something.  Even if I could just crop out that one second and make it a 9 second loop, I would be in *heaven* ...

I contacted the creators of the app and they said with "random number generated sounds" its nearly impossible to generate a perfectly smooth pink noise. 

Please keep in mind I am not talking about distortions that can be seen on a graph or with instruments.  Im referring to laying in bed with one ear in the pillow and one up in the air, and hearing it with my own ears.  Usually *extremely* subtle but it ends up being like irritating dripping water as you wait 9 seconds for it to happen again ... and again ...

Im not even sure what my question here is, but what's your take on this?   

Thanks

boggy:

--- Quote from: SoundBurger on March 21, 2011, 06:46:12 AM ---To Admin - no idea if my real name is showing so please dont just summarily delete this post if its not.  Im new here.  Thanks.

--- End quote ---
I'm not an admin but I see your real name clarly and perfectly ;)

--- Quote from: SoundBurger on March 21, 2011, 06:46:12 AM ---Question for the sound experts.  Having a difficult time with this concept of Pink Noise.  I am in need of a solid "white noise-esque" sound to help with sleep, and im not sure what other forum to ask this on.

Is there a way to generate a consistent pink noise without *noticeable* distortion?  I have downloaded app after app on the iphone that play "pink noise" and without exception, they all seem to loop every 10 seconds, and they all have some sort of distortion that creeps up.

--- End quote ---
They generate only 10 seconds of pink noise at beginning, not continuously.

--- Quote from: SoundBurger on March 21, 2011, 06:46:12 AM ---  Almost always, its 8 seconds of perfection and 1 second of a "thud" ... or a "bleep" ... or a "swirl" ... or something.  Even if I could just crop out that one second and make it a 9 second loop, I would be in *heaven* ...

--- End quote ---

They can scale random numbers if multiply it with number smaller than 1 (0.1, 0.02, or whatever)... then they will have more quiet noise (smaller relative RMS) without possibility to clip...

I don't know if I help anything :(

Regards

bblackwood:
What sort of DAW are you using? Many include their own noise generators...

This may also be a question better asked of our tech buds in Bruno and Dave's forum: http://repforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/board,24.0.html

Tim Boyce:
Spectrafoo will do very high resolution noise generation.

Use the option to lock the signal gen to the hardware clock. Makes much finer results.

capture a big file (10 min / 20 min / 40 min .. whatever). .

and use the 'snap to zero crossing' option in the Daw. That should give you a seemless loop.

if you're using a random number generator, try making it a mono file, it'll be unlikely that each stereo side will have identical zero-crossings.

ggidluck:
Have you tried Studio Six Digital's Audio Tools? Their RTA is pretty good. I suspect that the pink noise generator might be as well.

http://www.studiosixdigital.com/generator.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version