R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: best analog stereo de-esser for vinyl mastering ?  (Read 26624 times)

bigaudioblowhard

Re: best analog stereo de-esser for vinyl mastering ?
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2006, 07:47:44 PM »

I might have something lying around on the 732. I'll look.

bab

jason goz

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2006, 02:11:17 PM »

Andreas,
I put a connection diagram on the top of the box,As long as you have a controlling signal from your cutter amps it will be fine.
Jason
May all your cuts be distortion free Smile

andybeemusic

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2006, 07:03:44 AM »

I just installed the beast  Laughing
I installed a special sidechain input, connected to
my cutting amp (current metering)
The current controls the STL's Cutoff Filter...
I did some tests with my dummy head, and everything
worked fine  Cool
At short attack times, below 100ms I have a strange
sound, something like a 8bit sound, but I think, this
comes from the dummy head....
Later on, I do some testcuts...

Thanks Jason!
Andybee
Andreas Bauer, Record Cutting Forum
http://forum.andybeemusic.de

2000F

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2007, 03:56:59 PM »

I've got a Ortofon STL 732 I want to use as de'esser/HF limiter while recording/mixing (not mastering). Would I still need, as stated by Gold, "... stl 732 is that it needs an RIAA pre-emphasis signal at it's control input. Not a problem if you pick off a signal from the cutting rack. If you want to use it as a standalone unit you'll need to make that circuit"?

I had my STL 732 fixed at a former Ortofon engineer in Denmark. His company is called ETEC, and his name is Torben R

Gold

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2007, 08:35:04 PM »

2000F wrote on Tue, 16 January 2007 15:56

I've got a Ortofon STL 732 I want to use as de'esser/HF limiter while recording/mixing (not mastering). Would I still need, as stated by Gold, "... stl 732 is that it needs an RIAA pre-emphasis signal at it's control input. Not a problem if you pick off a signal from the cutting rack. If you want to use it as a standalone unit you'll need to make that circuit"

I think you would for the sidechain to work correctly. You could try it without first. I'm sure the Ortofon engineer could make a good recomendation.

Quote:

I've also recently got hold of an Ortofon (Fonofilm) STL 632. This is the old valve version. It?s not in the best state unfortunatelt, but I got for around
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

On the silk road, looking for uranium.

2000F

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2007, 04:34:46 AM »

Hi Gold,

thanks for your reply. I?ll give the STL 732 a try first without the side chain. Do you have the STL 631 papers online/pdf?

Big ups - and thanks!

Frederik

Gold

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2007, 07:53:52 AM »

2000F wrote on Thu, 18 January 2007 04:34

I?ll give the STL 732 a try first without the side chain.

You will need to feed the side chain something or else it won't do anything. You probably know this. I tried mimicing an RIAA curve with a software EQ. It didn't work very well because the EQ couldn't do the right filter slopes. I don't think any of the usual EQ plugins would do it.

Quote:

Do you have the STL 631 papers online/pdf?

No. They aren't mine but I could get them. I would have to either copy or scan them. This would be a pretty big science project. If you want a hobby it's a good project. If you want something that works anytime soon, it's not a good project. If you want to use it as a patchable unit you will need to build in/out amplifiers.

Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

2000F

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2007, 08:17:41 AM »

Paul, thank you so much for you kind replys. Don?t worry about the diagrams then at the moment. Smile

etec / Torben

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2007, 03:40:00 AM »

I've got the schematic for the STL631 valve limiter.
Usually the problem with this unit is that the "Stabistors" are worn out and defective. They may be replaced by standard zenerdiodes.

If You want to use the STL treble limiter as a stand alone unit it can be done by connecting the outputs directly to the control inputs.
Then it will operate directly with a line level signal of 1.22Vrms. You do not need RIAA emph. It operates in flat/liniar mode.

If you get any kind of distortion you have propably overloaded the control input circuits. Turn down the "threshold" button.
On the STL 732 the meter pointers thould not go below 5Khz. Then it will sound audible.

Torben Roenne / Manager and Owner / etec aps.
Best Regards

Gold

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2007, 07:14:18 AM »

etec / Torben wrote on Wed, 14 February 2007 03:40
Quote:

If You want to use the STL treble limiter as a stand alone unit it can be done by connecting the outputs directly to the control inputs.
Then it will operate directly with a line level signal of 1.22Vrms. You do not need RIAA emph. It operates in flat/liniar mode.

FWIW I tried this and didn't get usable results. It worked and didn't distort, but didn't respond in a way that was useful as either a deesser or a HF cutting limiter.

Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

tamstudi

• Real Full Name: Tony Batchelor
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2007, 11:51:02 AM »

In the early 1980's Ortofon ceased manufacture of disc cutting equipment and I took over all the electronic products. Phonotech took over the cutting heads. Later the Phonotech owner died and the heads went to Etec.

I redesigned the STL 732 and it became the STL 852.

Some words of warning!
The STL 631 (and similar) series were valve/inductor circuits and the inherent time delay in such a design is too great if you are using modern heads and solid state cutting amps. For such amps and heads only the 732/852 versions are safe!!!

If using a STL 732 then it is configured to take its control input from the GO 741 amplifier. If you use any other amplifier, the control input has to be VERY carefully chosen. The repair of heads is expensive.

I designed the STL 852 to enable it to be configured for alternative control inputs. Both flat and RIAA.

I am hoping shortly to restart manufacture of the STL (and maybe other units). If anyone would like to be kept informed, then please email me.

Tony
Tony

jason goz

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2007, 05:12:25 AM »

I'm in
Jason
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up