R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clients bringing kids with no warning  (Read 5471 times)

GYMusic

Clients bringing kids with no warning
« on: July 17, 2011, 01:14:46 PM »

I love kids.  They just don't belong in my studio or control room unless they're an active participant.  A client recently brought a child, who was very well behaved, but I realized I need to include a bit in my terms and conditions addressing the fact.  There have been a few cases where I wished the kids had stayed and the adults stayed home!  Here's what I came up with.  I'm not sure it's direct enough.

"The attendance of extra people who are not an active part of the project is discouraged.  Childcare is not provided."

Treelady

Re: Clients bringing kids with no warning
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 05:50:33 PM »

We love kids.  They taste delicious, but they become bored in a studio very quickly.   Also children come with a variety of magical abilities.   For example, 8 out of 10 children can locate and push the UPS power kill button in any studio in under 3 minutes from the time they enter.  Furthermore, 80% of children are born with 10th degree black-belt ninjutsu skills (they diminish over time, but they'll still defeat you in mortal combat).  So, when you try to stop them from running into your sub, they may do a flip and toss you through a wall.

I really don't think any of us mind kids in the studio, but the fact remains a studio is not really a safe place for kids.  We have too many cables and items electric that could hurt a little one.  And no body wants that.

Jerry Tubb

• Real Full Name: Jerry Tubb
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 06:08:34 PM »

We mastered an EP last week for the hardest rockin' kid band ever:

http://www.residualkid.com/

I think the oldest is 12.

So at one point it was all kids, made me feel like one, we had a blast!

JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 25 years of Mastering!

jdg

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »

We love kids.  They taste delicious, but they become bored in a studio very quickly.   Also children come with a variety of magical abilities.   For example, 8 out of 10 children can locate and push the UPS power kill button in any studio in under 3 minutes from the time they enter.  Furthermore, 80% of children are born with 10th degree black-belt ninjutsu skills (they diminish over time, but they'll still defeat you in mortal combat).  So, when you try to stop them from running into your sub, they may do a flip and toss you through a wall.

I really don't think any of us mind kids in the studio, but the fact remains a studio is not really a safe place for kids.  We have too many cables and items electric that could hurt a little one.  And no body wants that.

i lol'd for real.

John McCaig
-the caption captain

Thomas W. Bethel

• Real Full Name: Thomas W. Bethel
  • When only the best will do.
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 06:15:34 AM »

I had the young son of one of my mastering client sit in on the session with his Dad last week. He was a GREAT kid and very quiet at the start of the sessions. Then he became bored and started fidgeting so I asked him if he wanted to watch some TV. He was 8, I put him in my video studio and turned on the TV and he watched Sponge Bob for the rest of the session.

The worst experience I have had with young children was when a rapper brought his wife and new born son with him to the session. The baby was not a happy camper and kept crying. The rapper's wife was also his "business manager"/ "producer" and she said she had to be in the session. About half way through the session I stared smelling something really bad from the back of the room. The mother was changing her infant son and it was not something I had ever had done in my mastering room. I finally had to quit what I was doing and ask them to take a break while I aired out the room. After opening all the doors and spraying air freshener around I finally got some of the smell out. I finished up the session and suggested to the rapper that at our next session he think seriously about not bringing his infant son. Every time I tell this story it brings back some really bad olfactory related memories.

The bottom line is that small kids and mastering studios usually do not mix well. Unfortunately my clients sometimes do not have a choice because it is their "day" to have the kids. If I had a proper lounge it would be less of a problem for me and my clients. As it is I can only put them into the video studio (which is really not a good place for little kids) if the studio is free which lately it has not been.

Interesting topic...
Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Celebrating 29 years in business in 2024

When only the best will do...

Rick Sutton

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 04:28:34 PM »

I once had a session where it seemed every thing was going wrong. It soon occurred to me that a young child had been with the client in the last session the day before. I guess I was too trusting (and very busy) to be on constant kid alert but the child had adjusted quite a few knobs on any equipment that was within his reach. Took about an hour to find all the adjustments.
 Another time a mother sent her PITA child out onto our back patio to get him out of our hair. The next day when I happened to go out on the patio for a short break I was greeted to the sight of all our plants pulled up and strewn over quite a distance on the back of the property.
 Damn

Ed Littman

• Real Full Name: Ed Littman
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 11:55:46 AM »

We mastered an EP last week for the hardest rockin' kid band ever:

http://www.residualkid.com/

I think the oldest is 12.

So at one point it was all kids, made me feel like one, we had a blast!

JT

I work with alot of talented kids...these guys are great!

If there are kids in the Mastering room the rule is they have to stay on the couch or out they go.

Ed
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 22 queries.