R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: "Major" art and "minor" art...  (Read 16426 times)

Sahib

Re: "Major" art and "minor" art...
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2006, 08:51:41 AM »

malice wrote on Thu, 05 January 2006 12:46

In France, we had a very popular songwriter and singer name Serge Gainsbourg that even you americans might have heard of that made a distinction between "minor" art and "major" art that was quite controversial at the time.

to resume : minor art is an art that does not require education to be understood (punk rock would applied) and major art does (like Bob O wife's work, Mozart, Miles Davis etc ). It's not that an ignorant lad could not be "touched" by Michelangello sculptures, it's only that he doesn't have a clue about understanding "why".

Pretty elitist but true nevertheless.

Malice forgive me for saying but this is load of crap. You do not have to have an education to understand and appreciate arts. Don't forget, you can have all the education and think that you "appreciate" a load of shit put in front of you. And the idea of that load of shit is also given to the "artist" through and education. Now, I am not being foul mouthed here when I say shit, I actually mean shit. I do not remember who that was in, I think 60s but he/she actually tinned his/her shit and people with "appreciation through education" bought it. An ignorant lad did not becasue he knew it was a pile of shit.

So the only thing I agree with you that it is elitist. But not true.

Quote:

Are american Idol participants artists ?

May be not all of them but one can be. Perhaps the person is looking for a way in. There were a lot of talented actresses that had almost full time job in BJ'ing the film executives with the hope that they would make it but never got anywhere. Did this make them less talented than Maryln Monreo?

Quote:

To close this post, I might remind you that we, as recordists and mixers, are NOT artists (we're not all musicians here, right ?). Merely artisans providing quality tools to the artists when we have the chance to meet them. And it is not everyday, sadly.

You are being modest and I like it. But you are wrong again.

Description of art is; the expression or application of creative skills.

Now if AEs or producers or whatever you call, can help in expressing a piece of music through application of their skill then they are artists.

bblackwood

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2006, 09:01:38 AM »

I suppose I'm on the dumb side of the discussion - to me art is art, there is no hierarchy to it. Some of it speaks to me, some does not. But I'm not about to automatically pigeon-hole someone's work as being 'major' or 'minor' due to some silly gov't regulation...

And BTW, those of you having trouble keeping things on topic need to double your efforts. Steve is a very cool guy but we're not going to allow you to crap on his lawn. I hope this is the last time I have to address this.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

wallace

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2006, 11:30:07 AM »

It's an interesting notion. I think there is such a thing as artistic perfection.. kind of like a magnet that has more pull the closer you are.

The thing is that, IMO, a lot artist all think that what they're doing is the greatest and justify people not agreeing as the fact that it's over their head. Music always has a base in something, however, whether it's cultural or genre based. Some music is based on tradition while others are based on "ideas" (think blues music compared to Yes). Sometimes those groups of ideas are self-generated and sometimes they're learned (and of course blended).

I personally like music and art that messes with the fundamentals of the aesthetics, and structure. People who can mess with structure (Miles Davis and Picasso in art) while at the same time, using simple means to do so are the most intriguing.

Sahib

« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2006, 05:21:26 PM »

I (and Barish) might be working on an art project which is actually about explaining a scientific law in artistic form.  If that happens, I'll be designing and making loads of hardware as part of the visuals in order to convey the message to the audience.

Here you go Malice, how are we going to deal with this?

Will I be qualifying as an artist or remain as a techie? Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy

This is serious.

Anyhow, I have just re-read your first post and it occured to me that this might be going out of topic. If so please delete the post.

BR
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.