R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: upgrading interconnects and speaker cables  (Read 17862 times)

carlsaff

Re: upgrading interconnects and speaker cables
« Reply #90 on: January 16, 2006, 09:22:38 AM »

I hesitate to add to this discussion, but...

I once wired one speaker with expensive audiophile cable and the other regular, old (literally, very old and beat-up) Radio Shack speaker wire. I put on some great sounding, well-known mono material and listened for a long, long time.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't my ear be "pulled" to one side or the other were there any differences being caused by the speaker wire? Wouldn't the mono material appear to take on a slightly stereo or a "phasey" aspect if the signals were different in any appreciable way?

I was told by a friend that this test is no good, and that you must use matched cables and stereo program material... but I figured he suggested that because the test revealed there to be no discernable difference between the wires, when he assured me that it would be obvious.  Very Happy

zetterstroem

« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2006, 04:07:05 PM »

carlsaff wrote on Mon, 16 January 2006 15:22

I once wired one speaker with expensive audiophile cable and the other regular, old (literally, very old and beat-up) Radio Shack speaker wire. I put on some great sounding, well-known mono material and listened for a long, long time.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't my ear be "pulled" to one side or the other were there any differences being caused by the speaker wire?
no.... unless the cable would attenuate the signal by several dB's
Quote:

Wouldn't the mono material appear to take on a slightly stereo or a "phasey" aspect if the signals were different in any appreciable way?
your ears are probably a bit different from eachother... and so are the speakers..... even if the crossover components are tightly matched they are placed differently and thereby measuring differently...

Quote:

I was told by a friend that this test is no good, and that you must use matched cables and stereo program material...
sorry.... he's right
Quote:

but I figured he suggested that because the test revealed there to be no discernable difference between the wires, when he assured me that it would be obvious.  Very Happy
.... i can't say if there's any differences in your setup but.... you proved absolutely nothing...
Noting the music industry's complaints that illegal downloading means people are getting their music for free, he said, "Well, why not? It ain't worth nothing anyway." (b.dylan)

Ronny

« Reply #92 on: January 16, 2006, 04:50:39 PM »

zetterstroem wrote on Mon, 16 January 2006 16:07

carlsaff wrote on Mon, 16 January 2006 15:22

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't my ear be "pulled" to one side or the other were there any differences being caused by the speaker wire?
no.... unless the cable would attenuate the signal by several dB's
Quote:

Wouldn't the mono material appear to take on a slightly stereo or a "phasey" aspect if the signals were different in any appreciable way?
your ears are probably a bit different from eachother... and so are the speakers..... even if the crossover components are tightly matched they are placed differently and thereby measuring differently...

Quote:

I was told by a friend that this test is no good, and that you must use matched cables and stereo program material...
sorry.... he's right
Quote:

but I figured he suggested that because the test revealed there to be no discernable difference between the wires, when he assured me that it would be obvious.  Very Happy
.... i can't say if there's any differences in your setup but.... you proved absolutely nothing...

1. Yes, if there were significant differences you would have heard them. Lack of dB's on one side is only one element, zetter, and he'd likely only hear a gain change from one side to the next, not necessarily a frequency degradation in one range. If the phase was inverted on one side, he'd hear more of a sonic degradation, than a broadband gain change. If the gauges of the wire relative to length of run were mismatched enough and one didn't mean specs, he'd hear differences. Although they weren't made of the same construction materials and would indeed measure different, he didn't hear any differences because they both met the specifications that are required of them, as I mentioned, once you meet the requirement, the rest is overkill.  

2. The speaker cabs would have to be significantly off to hear differences in a blind test, if they were material to the result.

3. The test is good, your friend is not correct. You can test speaker cables using one wire on an L send and one wire on an R send. Any electronic differences that may occur between one speaker cab and the other or one side of a stereo amp over the other side, or one mono block amp that is same brand and matched with the other mono amp would be insignificant in most cases, "providing" they are all working properly and all gear is matched, except of course the cables. If there were differences in wire, you'd be able to hear them immediately, you would not have to wait for a cable to warm up, or break in.  

4. Your test proved that the other guy was incorrect. Why? Because you didn't hear any differences. The burden of proof is on the person that makes the ear claim, to show scientifically why there is a difference.

Let's get something straight, the person that makes the claim when someone else doesn't hear it, is doing absolutely nothing. You've got that bassackwards zetter. The person that isn't hearing any differences is obviously not being fooled. Opinions  don't win court cases, it takes corroborative evidence. ANYONE, can say ANYTHING, but saying it doesn't mean jack when you are dealing with sensisthesia and the idiosyncratic memory recall of the human mind. Savvy engineers know that the ear is not perfect, know it is influenced minute to minute by other sensory factors and compensate their views accordingly.    
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

carlsaff

« Reply #93 on: January 16, 2006, 05:25:16 PM »

zetterstroem wrote on Mon, 16 January 2006 15:07

you proved absolutely nothing...

Then the simple question, and the same one I posed to my friend, is this: why did the left and right channels appear to be producing identical audio?

If it is, as I suspect, that the differences brought by the cable are so slight as to be indistinguishable... then I'll look for my signal path upgrades elsewhere.

max cooper

« Reply #94 on: January 16, 2006, 05:36:24 PM »

jtr wrote on Thu, 05 January 2006 10:11

able, line cord, outlet, amp, etc) " sounded less strident after a 24 hour burn-in period".  This means the reviewer kept it turned on till his or her perceptions changed.....

I have a good friend in the home audio business, and he swears that burn-in periods are all about getting the buyer to reserve judgement until their perceptions change.

It is sometimes necessary for new speakers to burn in.

Ever hear a pair of Tannoy dual-concentric drivers straight out of the box?  You'd think you were losing your mind if you didn't know what was up.
I'm infinitely baffled.

bigaudioblowhard

« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2006, 06:35:43 PM »

carlsaff wrote on Mon, 16 January 2006 15:25

If it is, as I suspect, that the differences brought by the cable are so slight as to be indistinguishable... then I'll look for my signal path upgrades elsewhere.

BINGO ! !

bab

barefoot

« Reply #96 on: January 16, 2006, 06:36:46 PM »

jtr wrote on Thu, 05 January 2006 08:11

My personal favorite is "burning in" components.  I've read various
reviews where the item (cable, line cord, outlet, amp, etc) " sounded less strident after a 24 hour burn-in period".  This means the reviewer kept it turned on till his or her perceptions changed.....

I've been thinking about asking my clients to not make any rash decisions about refs I've sent until after a suitable burn-in period.Smile

In the case of speakers at least, there is a very real "burn in" period.  The driver suspension components, especially the spider (that yellow accordion looking thing behind the cone) become more flexible over time.   This primarily occurs within the first few hours of use.    The resonance frequency and compliance (springiness) can often change by more than 20%.   I burn in all my drivers before I make any final adjustments.  

Thomas
Thomas Barefoot
 Barefoot Recording Monitors

Ronny

« Reply #97 on: January 16, 2006, 11:47:00 PM »

max cooper wrote on Mon, 16 January 2006 17:36

jtr wrote on Thu, 05 January 2006 10:11

able, line cord, outlet, amp, etc) " sounded less strident after a 24 hour burn-in period".  This means the reviewer kept it turned on till his or her perceptions changed.....

I have a good friend in the home audio business, and he swears that burn-in periods are all about getting the buyer to reserve judgement until their perceptions change.

It is sometimes necessary for new speakers to burn in.

Ever hear a pair of Tannoy dual-concentric drivers straight out of the box?  You'd think you were losing your mind if you didn't know what was up.

If you were a speaker manufacturer and your speakers had to be burned in, why wouldn't you burn them in before you sent them out?

How effective would your QC be if the speakers weren't burned in before you performed the checks?
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------