R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: upgrading interconnects and speaker cables  (Read 17860 times)

AndreasN

Re: upgrading interconnects and speaker cables
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2006, 09:17:39 AM »

The wonders of expensive cables are an endless source of amusement! Now, back on topic..

Think you'll find that most people consider speaker wires to be good enough as long as the gauge is heavy enough. EMI is not a problem here.

For normal wiring, a standard good cable, not expensive esoteric ish and not cheapo crap, should give you a long hassle free service time. How good is good enough? Well, to me, that means a braided shield, twisted pair and a physically sturdy construction. Get some good connectors, like Neutrik, and you should be done.

If you think there's reasons to throw piles of cash at cables, please take a look at circuit board traces.. Cool

bblackwood

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2006, 09:35:04 AM »

i think the truth is somewhere in the middle of 'cables don't affect sound' and 'all cables have an affect on sound'. I think if you use the proper cables in each environment, you won't hear differences. IOW, if using good quality, low-capacitance cables of similar measurements for line level, you won't hear a difference.

At least that's been my experience.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Bill B

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2006, 09:21:40 PM »

dcollins wrote on Sat, 07 January 2006 00:13

zetterstroem wrote on Thu, 05 January 2006 05:43

no voodoo here....

We found that:

The purity of the basic metals is essential. Any uncontrolled or unwanted impurity changes the signal transmission properties, such as the direction and/or speed of the information flow in the final conductor.

It controls the speed and direction!  Love it.

Actually the speed is controlled by the insulation. The direction, man can only stand by and watch.

Quote:

Impurities also create undesired metal structures which interfere with specific properties of the pure metal.

Duh. No effect on audio, though.

What is it with these cable "designers" anyway?

Always amusing. Like how the Zaolla cable helps with your workstation's latency........

DC

I love this: "(the cable) renders the music as a well-rounded entity — as a unified whole. It spreads genuine musical flair, thereby writes speed and seemingly effortlessly brings out the finest nuances, which, however, do not loosely whirl around the room, but are unbreakably integrated into the soundstage."

O---kay.
BB

AndreasN

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2006, 11:12:04 AM »

Oh, and another thing:

>In particular I'm after a RCA phono to 6.3 mm jack lead (stereo prefered)

Since this is unbalanced, you might try this: hook the active signal to one part of the twisted pair and the ground to another one of the twisted pair cables. Connect the shield to chassi ground to make it active. This should in theory give better unbalanced transmission.

Not totally sure about this, though. I'm sure someone will step up and correct me if I'm wrong! =)

Ronny

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2006, 02:04:21 PM »

My fave nonsense blurb is the one way cables that have arrows pointing to the direction that should parallel the audio flow. Where do they come up with this crap?
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

mike chafee

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2006, 05:28:12 PM »

aivoryuk wrote on Thu, 05 January 2006 13:35

David Glasser wrote on Wed, 04 January 2006 21:27

Is it just me, or does the audiophile term 'interconnect' drive anyone else nuts?

sorry i've been spending far too much time with my father in law. (well i actually live with the in laws at the mo so its kinda hard to avoid)  Smile

i don't want to spend a lot but just want something a bit better than the standard stuff at the mo.

i would assume with you guys that have thousand of dollars worth of equipment (speakers and stuff) that you wouldn't use $3's worth of cable. Or maybe you would thats why I'm asking

many regards

Alex

Gotham Audio has several very low capacitance cables at extermely reasonable prices, with either Switchcraft or Neuman connectors.

I have a gazillion dollars in hardware, and recently started using these after reading a thread on Klaus's forum.

The results are excellent.

Mike Chafee

ammitsboel

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2006, 05:50:14 PM »

Ronny wrote on Mon, 09 January 2006 19:04

My fave nonsense blurb is the one way cables that have arrows pointing to the direction that should parallel the audio flow. Where do they come up with this crap?

There are many bullshitters out there, the ones that does it the most are the ones over 50' and that's not just about cables!
When looking at specifics or only considering what you "think" you know, you might miss the obvious.
"The male brain is designed for ecstasy" -Dr. Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg

Ronny

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2006, 09:42:18 PM »

ammitsboel wrote on Mon, 09 January 2006 17:50

Ronny wrote on Mon, 09 January 2006 19:04

There are many bullshitters out there, the ones that does it the most are the ones over 50' and that's not just about cables!
When looking at specifics or only considering what you "think" you know, you might miss the obvious.

If a frog had wings he might not bump his ass when he hops. Doesn't surpise me that you are defending one way cables.  

The burden of proof is on the people that make the claims, not on the people that know that there are flaws in their evaluation parameters and can read through marketing bullshit. If the claim deesn't follow the laws of physics you are wasting your time expecting any cable manufacturer to rewrite them.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------