R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dithering and Phase  (Read 1671 times)

reynaud

Dithering and Phase
« on: January 17, 2006, 09:40:48 AM »

Greetings,

Does Dithering affect phase or does it just reduce dynamic range? I "activated" Waves IDR with no file open and registered phasing issues (my hardware phase meter was bucking and boosting). Is my meter faulty or does dither affect a phase in some way. I would think that the phase meter should be "flat".

many thanks,
Reynaud

bobkatz

Re: Dithering and Phase
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 10:29:05 AM »

reynaud wrote on Tue, 17 January 2006 09:40

Greetings,

Does Dithering affect phase or does it just reduce dynamic range? I "activated" Waves IDR with no file open and registered phasing issues (my hardware phase meter was bucking and boosting). Is my meter faulty or does dither affect a phase in some way. I would think that the phase meter should be "flat".

many thanks,
Reynaud

You're looking at the random, uncorrelated noise floor of the dither. It's SUPPOSED to do that... The meter will show that the dither floor is randomly wandering, but it should average around the center, "uncorrelated".

Also, if your phase meter is jumping wildly with the dither perhaps its time constants are a bit too fast.

Bottom line: Dither does not affect phase. As soon as you add any normal room tone or ambience to the recording, your phase meter should settle down.

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

reynaud

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 11:23:58 AM »

thank you for the response. I also noticed that i was getting a low level signal at around -118dBFS Left and about -122dBFS Right. Once a tone is present does this level stay constant or reduce slightly?

thanks for clearing things up,
Reynaud

dcollins

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 01:04:55 AM »

reynaud wrote on Tue, 17 January 2006 08:23

thank you for the response. I also noticed that i was getting a low level signal at around -118dBFS Left and about -122dBFS Right. Once a tone is present does this level stay constant or reduce slightly?

Reynaud

You don't have phase "issues," you're just metering low-level noise of the dither.

What word-length was the IDR set?

I'm concerned by the -122, as 16 bit dither should be more like -90 peak.  That's more like 24 bit dither.

Dither sets the minimum phase resolution of the system, so in that way it does have a effect......

DC

Ronny

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 02:26:00 AM »

dcollins wrote on Wed, 18 January 2006 01:04

reynaud wrote on Tue, 17 January 2006 08:23

Reynaud

You don't have phase "issues," you're just metering low-level noise of the dither.

What word-length was the IDR set?

I'm concerned by the -122, as 16 bit dither should be more like -90 peak.  That's more like 24 bit dither.

Dither sets the minimum phase resolution of the system, so in that way it does have a effect......

DC

I've always wondered about that. I read in a manual or two that dithering increases dynamic range by around -10dB. I thought that they meant perceived gain not actual gain measured inside a system, like what Waves says about IDR making the final 16 bit perceived more like 19 bits of resolution. I'm not saying that I agree with them, but I've seen Digicheck show -107dB when inputting a  32 bit dithered to 16 bit signal. Can anyone explain what's happening here?
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------