R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: upgrading interconnects and speaker cables  (Read 17695 times)

aivoryuk

upgrading interconnects and speaker cables
« on: January 04, 2006, 03:23:49 PM »

Hi

I'm just making some small upgrades in my studio and I'm after some good quality but good value for money interconnects and speaker cables.

In particular I'm after a RCA phono to 6.3 mm jack lead (stereo prefered)

all the searches i've done so far have brought up quite low budget ones that don't look to be grreat quality.

I could just buy some high quality rca phono connects and then fet one end with 6.3 mm jack adaptors but I'm not sure if i want to go down that route.

any suggestions recommendations would be much appreciate

thanks

Alex

TotalSonic

Re: upgrading interconnects and speaker cables
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 03:37:37 PM »

Switchcraft makes a nice RCA gold plated plug.  Canare makes a good hefty 6.3mm one.  Mogami, Canare, Gepco, all make good coax cable.  Weller makes really nice soldering irons.  

For speaker cable - I've got to agree with Nelson Pass:
"We prefer speaker cables that are thick and short. Silver and copper are the preferred metals. If you find any cable made of gold, please send me a couple hundred feet"

and my favorite:
"We have a general recommendation about interconnects, which is they should cost less than the amplifier"

Ironically I'm in the middle of soldering some trs to xlr cables right now.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

David Glasser

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 04:27:30 PM »

Is it just me, or does the audiophile term 'interconnect' drive anyone else nuts?
David Glasser
Airshow Mastering
Boulder, CO

dave@airshowmastering.com
www.airshowmastering.com

zetterstroem

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 12:17:06 AM »

doesn't ANYTHING audiophile drive anyone in here nuts????

Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes
Noting the music industry's complaints that illegal downloading means people are getting their music for free, he said, "Well, why not? It ain't worth nothing anyway." (b.dylan)

bblackwood

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 12:25:20 AM »

zetterstroem wrote on Wed, 04 January 2006 23:17

doesn't ANYTHING audiophile drive anyone in here nuts????

Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes

Yes. It's part of the agreement when you sign up.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

bigaudioblowhard

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 12:36:19 AM »

David Glasser wrote on Wed, 04 January 2006 14:27

Is it just me, or does the audiophile term 'interconnect' drive anyone else nuts?

You mean like linestage (for preamp), analogue (for record player), or my pet peeve passive preamp (for switcher), soundstage (for image), transport (for CD player), monoblock (mono power amp), horn loaded (speakers with horns) ?

If I ever read a review in Mix or Tape Op that claims a given device has more "there there"  ... well I just dont know what I'll do.

Why yes, now that you mention it, 'interconnect' does drive me a little nuts, and I thought it was just me.

bab

TotalSonic

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 12:54:25 AM »

bigaudioblowhard wrote on Thu, 05 January 2006 05:36

David Glasser wrote on Wed, 04 January 2006 14:27

You mean like linestage (for preamp), analogue (for record player), or my pet peeve passive preamp (for switcher), soundstage (for image), transport (for CD player), monoblock (mono power amp), horn loaded (speakers with horns) ?

If I ever read a review in Mix or Tape Op that claims a given device has more "there there"  ... well I just dont know what I'll do.

Why yes, now that you mention it, 'interconnect' does drive me a little nuts, and I thought it was just me.

bab

You forgot my fave "midrange bloom."
 Rolling Eyes

I recently was checking out a pair of monitors in an avowed audiophile's place - they had spent a ton of money on fancy spikes for all their gear to sit on - yet their room was in a desperate need of bass trapping.  Can anyone hear say "barking up the wrong tree"?

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Bob Boyd

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 01:50:58 AM »

TotalSonic wrote on Wed, 04 January 2006 23:54

I recently was checking out a pair of monitors in an avowed audiophile's place - they had spent a ton of money on fancy spikes for all their gear to sit on - yet their room was in a desperate need of bass trapping.  Can anyone hear say "barking up the wrong tree"?

Best regards,
Steve Berson

I'm with you on that one Steve.  

I recently stopped by a high end place here in Houston to listen to the new B&W 800D and/or 802D's out of curiosity.  Mega dollar amps, mega dollar wire all in the worst room possible.  Bass and low mid bloom everywhere.  Mid and top you could walk in and out of within inches.   Anybody who knows anything about what they were listening to would demand a different environment before trying to purchase these $20k monitors.

I ended up turning them down and trying to kneel down a few feet from ONE of them in the middle of the room to try to get an idea and then left in frustration.  They weren't doing B&W any favors.

I think they were just as interested in selling the leather chairs with drink holders.
Bob Boyd
ambientdigital, Houston

http://ambientdigital.com
http://myspace.com/ambientdigital

Twitter: @bobboyd

Look, I know it's mean.  But sometimes the end justifies the mean.

zetterstroem

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 05:41:17 AM »

i just recently heard a pair of adam speakers in a well treated room...

Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked ....the horror....

sorry couldn't resist.... i'm childish Smile
Noting the music industry's complaints that illegal downloading means people are getting their music for free, he said, "Well, why not? It ain't worth nothing anyway." (b.dylan)

zetterstroem

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 05:43:11 AM »

btw these are some lovely interconnects : http://www.vandenhul.com/cable/integration-h.htm

no voodoo here....

bobkatz

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2006, 07:33:36 AM »

bigaudioblowhard wrote on Thu, 05 January 2006 00:36

bab

Now I'm going to drive you batty...   anyway, the precision of any term is only as good as the way that we understand it.

I feel that the terms "soundstage" and "image" are attempts to replace  "width" and "depth". But "width" and "depth" sound so.... well mundane.

Transport is a "passive" CD player with no D/A converter. There's a place for that term, I think.

"Monoblock"... yeah, there's no defense for the term except that it's shorter and easier to say than "mono power amp".

Most of these terminologies evolve from the tendency in human speech to use the easier and faster word instead of the more correct term. Hey, we're guilty too, of this practice, even as professionals. How many times do you say, "volume" or "volume control" instead of "monitor gain", when "volume" is not an acoustimetric quantity? In my book, "volume" is quarts and pints and liters.

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Ronny

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2006, 07:45:05 AM »

zetterstroem wrote on Thu, 05 January 2006 05:43

btw these are some lovely interconnects : http://www.vandenhul.com/cable/integration-h.htm

no voodoo here....

Part 2: Fusion Technology; An extended explanation:
Resulting from several years of research, our new Fusion Technology is a breakthrough in metal conductor technology.
Our research led us to the conclusion that a number of important steps in the production process of metal conductors can be improved.

We found that:

The purity of the basic metals is essential. Any uncontrolled or unwanted impurity changes the signal transmission properties, such as the direction and/or speed of the information flow in the final conductor.
Impurities also create undesired metal structures which interfere with specific properties of the pure metal.

The speed of the temperature reduction during the last step of the wire manufacturing (i.e. when the final conductor including its silver coating passes the last dye) has a high influence on the final audio properties.
The steeper this temperature decay, the better: Too high temperatures for too long dramatically worsen the sonic result afterwards.

With the production of conductors it is essential to prevent deforming the metal structure. This means minimizing any mechanical vibrations of free lengths and to as much as possible avoid bending, twisting and winding.

Immediate insulation of the final product against oxidation or other chemical activities is essential to further avoid degradation and, with it, harshness in signal transmission.
Unfortunately there are other material parameters which we can not control so well. Especially the internal resistance against material deformation and displacement was an overlooked property, which is essential for high quality signal transmission.
It is generally accepted that a metal is just what it is, and that the resistance per volume unit is the only discriminating factor.
The idea that a metal conductor with electrons moving around in it can be seen as a highway where cars should be able to move in either direction without any obstruction, makes the idea of our research somewhat more clear. Too many bends and crossroads will slow down traffic...

From our research we concluded that:

The higher a conducting material’s resistance against deformation, the higher is the quality of its audio signal transfer.

Also the stability and durability of the signal transfer is higher and longer in conductors with a high internal resistance against material deformation and displacement.
However, mainly for economical reasons, soft metals like copper and silver are very popular: The production speed can be high, thanks to their relative softness and easy deformability.

It was time to design new conductors with a high internal deformation resistance.
Without bothering you too much about all research done, one of our findings was that the metal structure which we have baptised “Fusion Technology”, did exactly fulfil our requirements.
Our Fusion Technology conductor material is an amorphous alloy of Copper, Zinc and Silver blended in specific proportions. By smartly combining these three rather soft metals, the final structure is definitely “harder” than can be expected from each of the metals individually.

With our “Fusion Technology” we have designed a metal conductor material with:
A low electrical resistance due to enough free electrons per volume unit.

A high internal resistance against metal deformation.

A very high internal resistance against metal displacement.

A completely amorphous structure free from intercrystalline boundaries.
A laboratory scale production gave us extremely promising sonic results, and after some more improvements and fine tuning we started production in larger quantities.

The Conclusion:
The theoretical idea to create such a new type of conductor material was well conceived. Especially the Hybrid version (i.e. combined with our Linear Structured Carbon
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------