R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dear saint Ron  (Read 4074 times)

P.M.DuMont

Dear saint Ron
« on: March 17, 2011, 06:45:38 PM »

There are not that many bands I can listen to that always make me excited.

Bad Brains is one of them.

Care to share your perspective on them?
What were they like in the studio? They put on live shows that I will never forget. Did their energy translate to the studio?
It seems from the progression of their albums, that they took well to a little (possibly a lot) of polish.
Since you worked with them more than once, I assume you think they rock too?

I like their earlier albums as well, but I Against I and Quickness are seminal records for me...
great music with passion, and production that conveys honesty and stands up to repeated listens.

Were they high all the time?

Philip  (formerly Fiasco)

saint

• Producer/Engineer/Mixer
Re: Dear saint Ron
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 01:49:36 AM »

Hi P.M.,

In a word,"YES"! Those two albums and the live, "The Youth Are Getting Restless" were groundbreakers, earth movers with Historical Impact. DEFINITELY seminal albums for me and all who were involved, too. Although I have made hundreds of albums, those two in particular and "I Against I" specifically, no matter WHERE I travel in the world, there are ALWAYSpeople who all have the SAME reaction as you express here. So much so, if fact, that I can not even BELIEVE either of those albums even achieved 'Gold' status! (They probably have, but SST [like all labels] is surely 'creative' with their accounting)! The TRUE satisfaction, though, comes from so many people all over the world, including countless musicians (many who are icons now in their own right) ALL pay homage and are still listeners to this day!

Surely in my "Personal Top 5"of my 39+ years in the business! The inspiration, energy intensity all connected and is UNDENIABLE to this day! 'I Against I' stayed on my turntable for 14 months!!! No matter WHAT I was working on, the needle dropped on that record every single morning as I got ready for work and after every single session when I got home, no matter how LONG my day was. I didn't even realize it had been on my turntable that long until I finally took it off and actually remembered when I put it on the first time!!!

It captures the true spirit of music and the musicianship does not get any better. TWO DAYS to record! AWESOME!

Thanks for Asking!

Happy Continued Listening & Blue Skies!  Saint
Blue Skies!  Saint

P.M.DuMont

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 07:41:31 AM »

Thank you so much, saint.

You are blessed to have been a part of something that remains so inspirational to yourself, and many others.
Philip  (formerly Fiasco)

saint

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 10:23:34 AM »

Yo, P.M.,

TRUE, Dat...
Blue Skies!  Saint

iCombs

• Real Full Name: Ian Combs
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 03:09:11 PM »

Hi

It captures the true spirit of music and the musicianship does not get any better. TWO DAYS to record! AWESOME!

2 DAYS???  Holy Shit!!

Gotta love it when the bulk of your job is just rolling the tape and letting the guys with the instruments do their thing!

How much pre-pro went into a record like "I Against I?"  ...and perhaps to broaden the question...how do you prefer to pre-pro a band to prep them for THAT sort of studio experience?

saint

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 12:46:43 PM »

We rehearsed for 2 weeks. I find that is a pretty fair AVERAGE amount of time to prepare 10 to 12 songs for recording. This is the period where the arrangements are worked through, solidified and then rehearsed, so that the band can get the "muscle memory" established so they feel "at home" with any (and all) changes and are therefore able to "emote" rather than "think" during the actual performance of the music.
Blue Skies!  Saint
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.