R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3 differrent lead vox  (Read 3413 times)

Paul G

3 differrent lead vox
« on: June 13, 2011, 10:21:46 AM »

Hi all.  I have a medley I'm working on that has three different lead vocals, each tracked in a different home studio and each using a different mic.  I'm trying to merge them into one, cohesive track.  They were recorded dry but I can still hear a bit of room in them and of course there's different dynamics.  I'm looking for any ideas and/or suggestion on how to make this into a usable track.  Anything that would help make it sound like they were all tracked together.  What would you pros do in this situation?  Would you EQ the overall track first or each individual part?  Or keep them as separate tracks?  What about compression?  Thanks.

Paul :D

rosshogarth

Re: 3 differrent lead vox
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 11:26:42 AM »

eq and compress them separately to match and then use the same verb and delay to make them merge as one
The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.

The standard of success in life isn't the things. It isn't the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel.

Extreme Mixing

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 12:23:29 PM »

Like Ross, I would eq and compress them individually to get the closest match among the tracks.  If the levels are widely different, I might use audio suite gain to make them match.  You're just trying to make them match at this point, not processing them for the mix.  Then I would bus them all to an aux track and do my mix treatments from that fader.  Having them treated as one at the end will make them more consistent.

Keep in mind that you may be able to USE some of the differences in the vocal sounds in the context of the song.  Be creative.

Steve

Paul G

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 01:52:52 PM »

Thanks Guys.  That's what I was looking for.

;D

itallchanged

• Real Full Name: John Ivan Greilick
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 03:44:30 PM »

Yes, it strikes me that you're in better shape than you would be, had they been three different prints of the same singer. In this case, the three are supposed to sound different anyway.. How'd it go?

Paul G

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 12:13:56 AM »

I had them re-track the parts and I'm still waiting for two yet.  I'm hoping the levels will be a bit nor consistent.  I can't do much about the rooms.  The first one came back much better.  We'll see.

Thanks.

;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.