R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question About Chevelle Record  (Read 2700 times)

Werewolf10

Question About Chevelle Record
« on: December 21, 2005, 09:22:47 AM »

Hello Friendly Professionals Razz

I have a question for Mr. Albini regarding that chevelle cd he recorded a while back.  I am not sure if you guys have heard this one but I was extremly impressed with how natural yet powerfull this recording was.  The depth and deminsion really blew me away.  Steve, I was wondering how you got that wide open beautifull imagine regarding the drums?  Also, can you describe what kind of recording chain was used in the vocals? mic/pre/reverb/ect.  And one more thing, how did you get the "highs" to be so mellow?  I can listen to that whole album turned alllll the way up and never get ear fatigue.  

oh by the way - I don't know what that band was thinking, cause all there other albums after that sound like ****. Razz

Laugh and the world laughs with you.  Weep, and you weep alone. "oldboy"

Werewolf10

Re: Question About Chevelle Record
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 06:19:13 AM »

bump???  

Werewolf10

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 08:43:10 AM »

maybe steve is on christmas vacation? oh I mean "holiday" vacation Razz

starscream2010

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 03:18:25 PM »

I'm not Steve, but here is link to some of his thoughts regarding Chevelle, it might not be what you're looking for but it's all I could find...

http://www.electrical.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2711&hi ghlight=chevelle

I dig that record as well and don't understand why they decided to go the "slick" overproduced(IMHO) route. Hope this helps.
"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax... "

Nick Evans

www.nickolusevans.com

Werewolf10

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 03:47:53 PM »

thanks dude nice read

brandondrury

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 11:56:31 PM »

Based on Steve Albini's image, I'm surpised he did a modern radio rock band.  Either way, I'm anxious to hear this album and hear Steve's thoughts.

Okay, nevermind.  After doing a little reading, it turns out that Steve did the first Chevelle record.  This is actually kind of fun.  I remember back 10 or so years ago when you could find a radio band and listen to their old work which was usually more raw, unpolished, and oftentimes more...true.

Brandon

starscream2010

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005, 02:35:18 PM »

To me their first record sounded more like them live which, IMO, is WAY better than than the later stuff I heard on the radio & MTV. I think that it really conveys more emotion, and is a very dynamic record (probably because they didn't crush it to death in mastering). If you haven't heard the album I highly recommend it or at least see if you can download the track Mia.

Nick Evans

www.nickolusevans.com

jimmyjazz

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2005, 06:47:07 PM »

starscream2010 wrote on Fri, 30 December 2005 14:35

To me their first record sounded more like them live which, IMO, is WAY better than than the later stuff I heard on the radio & MTV. I think that it really conveys more emotion, and is a very dynamic record (probably because they didn't crush it to death in mastering). If you haven't heard the album I highly recommend it or at least see if you can download the track Mia.

I'd never paid any attention to the band until I read this thread, but on your rec I searched for "chevelle mia" and found this:

http://music.yahoo.com/ar-292470-videos--Chevelle

Good song, great recording.  Good job, Steve.  I don't want to diminish Steve's work, but it sounds very natural, very easily accomplished.  (Of course that isn't always the case, but often it is.  It seems lots of folks strive to fuck up records, but this sounds like I would expect the band would sound in the room.)

starscream2010

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2006, 12:10:22 PM »

jimmyjazz wrote on Sat, 31 December 2005 17:47

It seems lots of folks strive to fuck up records, but this sounds like I would expect the band would sound in the room.

I agree and it's exactly what the band sounded that like at that time (I haven't seen them since they released the first record). Thanks for posting that link, I didn't even know that they had a video for Mia.

Nick Evans

www.nickolusevans.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 20 queries.