R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Acceptable 2 Buss Limiters  (Read 6138 times)

compasspnt

Re: Acceptable 2 Buss Limiters
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2006, 01:24:46 AM »

The API is no Mackie/Behringer.  And it is not TOO versatile.

xAm

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2006, 06:14:37 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Mon, 23 January 2006 01:24

The API is no Mackie/Beheinger.

I sure as hell hope not!! I'd think about the only way you should compare API and Smackie shit in the same sentence or paragraph would be:

"FOR SALE: Mackie stuff, buying API. Need to dump quickly! Priced to move."

-OR-

As I have evidently screwed up effectively trying to say;
The Mackie{Behringer}/API comment was a generalization as to whether there are some pieces of gear that are too versatile, and therefore are good at "XXX" but not great at "XXX".

Quote:

And it is not TOO versatile.

I didn't believe that it was. I DIDN'T mean to imply that it was. Sorry if it seemed that way. Once again, a mind is a terrible thing! Shocked

OK, so far the short list of 2 buss comp/limiters to audition is looking like this:
API 2500 - It's an API - Versatility
Drawmer 1968 (ME) - Price Range - sonic quality
RMS Super Stereo - Price Range - ???
Crane Song STC-8 - Sonic quality

The STC-8 is a bit out of the price range (as new) I was hoping for, but if it does what I need to, it does what I need.

I wish I could afford all of em' just to put in the arsenal, but alas the ol' pockets ain't quite deep enough for that.

Anyone care to embelish on any of the above short list items?

Thanx again!

Max
WOW!

malice

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2006, 10:34:27 AM »

If we're talking limiters, Pendulum is about to release a limiter (wich seems to be the limiter section of the Quartet II, Fletcher, correct me if I'm wrong)

Manley Slam is another choice, Requisite as well.. (bit expensive)

But I'm confused by this thread as everyone is talking about units better suited for compression than limiting.

What are you looking for : comp or limiter ?

malice

Fletcher

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2006, 10:42:53 AM »

The limiter Pendulum will be releasing is a "peak" limiter... not an RMS limiter like you'll find from something like the Waves plug-in crap.

It's purpose is to prevent "overs"... not flatten the audio to the current standard of no dyanmics "bar on the screen" crap that at one time might have been audio.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

xAm

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2006, 08:49:19 AM »

malice wrote on Tue, 24 January 2006 10:34

But I'm confused by this thread as everyone is talking about units better suited for compression than limiting.

What are you looking for : comp or limiter ?

malice

I think it only prudent that I really start to get my 2 buss house in order before opening up the studio... should be about 12 months from now - give or take 200 yrs as studio builds sometimes go. In the mean time, I still got remote sessions booked and will need to do a few mixes in the mobile rig.

My current 2 buss is covered with a pair of RNC's... not ideal by any means, but servicable... but no limiting.

I'm looking for a 2 buss limiter... AND/OR 2 buss comp or an "acceptable" comp/limiter. What I mean by acceptable is a unit on the 2 buss (analog) that just about any guest engineer/mixer would find in a "reasonably well heeled, well appointed" CR... or at least in a mid level mix facility. (I'm trying to get a notch or two or twelve above the usual project studio.)

As for my own mixes, (in general; Rock, Gospel, Blues), my mixes are getting more agressive, so I feel like a fairly transparent mix-glue comp is in order as well as a good quality limiter. If I can get both in a unit... all the better.

Thanx,
Max
WOW!

malice

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2006, 10:25:37 AM »

Ok I get ya now.

If you can't afford an STC-8 (that would provide comp AND a limiter that could take out a peak every one and then, I would try the smart C2 (the stereo version, with one set of control, pretty affordable)

The big advantage of the STC-8 is that it's a killer tracking comp as well.

best of luck in your search

malice
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 20 queries.