R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gearslutz SUCKS now  (Read 30452 times)

Brent Handy

Gearslutz SUCKS now
« on: January 01, 2006, 03:34:12 PM »

I cannot get over how much pressure there is to not exercise free speech and thought over there.  I have had posts just wiped away.  I have seen whole threads vanish.  I would follow a good, heated discussion, and the next day....I did a search for some reviews of mics, ran into the Telefunken vs. APEX 460 thread, or what's left of it.

In no direct connection to the Telefunken/APEX topic, if manufacturers are squeezing the forum owners, because they don't like what is said about their stuff, then that's crap.  

US car manufacturers once heard the poop and felt the hit in sales.  They then made better cars to compete with Japanese.  Now in all of this "don't offend me" culture, people are forced to keep their opinions to themselves, so that we don't effect a manufacturer.  What's the best that could happen?  The companies do proper PR, or make a better product?

This is spooky to me.  We are becoming a world that most countries took pride in not being once.  We are now conditioned to roll over and take whatever crap people give us.

George_

Re: Gearslutz SUCKS now
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 04:08:25 PM »

nono.. I can speak for my forum only.

we watch out for cracks and ass-language, no additional censorship.

every forum is moderated by another mod (they are listed in the homedirectory of gearslutz). one member is michael wagener or C. Lambrechts and I dont feel they are too strict.

can you tell me in detail what YOU posted and what was deleted?

did you send a PM to one of the moderators? or to the supermoderator? (Jules)

I feel uncomfortable with your negative feelings about gearslutz. everything has space to improve. give us the chance.

cheers George
"BORN A ROCKER, DIE A ROCKER"

George Necola

Brent Handy

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 04:17:43 PM »

Oh yeah, Jules contacted me himself.

Jules

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 08:57:49 AM »

Telefunken USA were raked over the coals over a Chinese parts mic issue. That was long and dragged out. And Like your car analogy above they, I believe, reacted to the whole episode and came our with a revised version of the mic in question.

What we find with some 'hot topics' is that long after the shit storm has settled a newbie discovers the subject and posts up a NEW thread and points 'look this is outrageous'

At that point things become tedious, so, as site admin I tend to merge the new (dull, old news) thread into an existing old thread.

That's not so much evil censorship but more the dragging away of the dead horse being flogged..

Pingu

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 09:41:37 AM »

I feel that its just too damn busy there.
Somehow threads dont seem to evolve well at all.
If I defend myself I am attacked. But in defenselessness I will be strong, and I will learn what my defenses hide.

malice

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 12:58:58 PM »

Apart from threads about ORTF couple schemes and  Charles Dye two buss compression topics, I can't complain, good work Jules !

malice

Johnny B

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 02:23:14 PM »

Yeah, I think slutz is fairly tolerant...

In fact, they let my "Famous Analogue vs. Digital" thread run up to a record-breaking fifteen thousand (15,000) hits or something like that before they finally closed it.

It would have been cool to let it go to "another level," like 20K hits tho'...

That kind of interest in the long-running "Analogue vs, Digital Debate" does strongly suggest that those dirty lyin' bastard Digital Math Scoundrels have not got it right and are still engaged in criminal and civil wrongdoing such as defrauding the public.

Like those lying pricks Bush and Cheney, all those lyin' bastard Digital Math Scoundrels belong in prison.

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality,
they are not certain; as far as they are certain,
they do not refer to reality."
---Albert Einstein---

I'm also uncertain about everything.

PRobb

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 12:22:49 AM »

The "stupidest thing you have ever heard in a session" thread is almost at 120,000 hits. It's worth the visit all by itself Laughing
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

George_

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 01:10:37 AM »

Johnny B.. say: THANK YOU GEORGE for make it sticky and be fairly tolerant with me;)

Laughing  Laughing

"BORN A ROCKER, DIE A ROCKER"

George Necola

Johnny B

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 02:36:28 AM »

Ok, thank you George.  That was very kind of you to let the many analogue lovers vent their frustration at the deplorable state of digital sound technology.

Still it's not everyone who can start a thread and get that kind of action...maybe I should have gone into the advertising business...heh...heh...In fact, I believe some advertisers charge by the number of impressions they make...

I do abhor censorship in all forms and do appreciate the leeway that the SLUTZ forum gives to all comers. Perhaps you folks have noticed that people seem to thrive on conflict and controversy, it breeds intense interest.  Such intense interest equates to more opportunities for the advertisers to make ever more impressions.

And, if we are very lucky, this kind of freewheeling opinion thread, with significant controversy and conflict attached to it, can breed rational, new, creative, and intelligent thought processes in those who make the music, shape opinions, or make new, innovative, and improved gear that simply sounds better...

If we ever want digital sound quality to improve, we must never be complacent, we must always keep constant pressure on those scurrilous Digital Math Scoundrels and get them to make far better chips.

So thanks again George, your kindness may one day lead to better digial sound quality.  But I'm not really counting on it...just hoping for it. Smile

---Albert Einstein---

marcel

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 03:29:45 AM »

Johnny B wrote on Mon, 20 February 2006 11:23

Like those lying pricks Bush and Cheney, all those lyin' bastard Digital Math Scoundrels belong in prison.

Maybe dick can take everybody 'hunting,' together?

Best, Marcel
Best, Marcel

PookyNMR

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2006, 01:05:44 PM »

Johnny B,

You still have not answered Dan Lavry's challenge to provide specific technical changes that you can prove need to be addressed.

You also still have not answered Brad Blackwood's challenge to list your experience to verify your comments.

If you could provide satisfactory answers to those questsion, I'm sure that you could heat up your crusade for many months to come.  Until then, I don't know that anyone will take you sersiously.

Nathan Rousu

Johnny B

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2006, 01:13:31 AM »

Apparently some people like to simply ignore the good science that is out there which proves that "certain people's" position is weak and untenable. For example, they like to ignore or summarily dismiss the white papers compiled by entire teams of multidisciplinary scientists and medical experts showing that so-called "inaudible" high frequencies nevertheless show up on brain scans and that the inclusion of those high frequencies have a positive influence on the brain's pleasure centre.

Simply stated, when you do not artificially truncate, decimate, impose digital math rounding errors, and you add in those "important" high frequencies, people experience increased pleasure when they listen to music.

The old myth that that only 20Hz to 20kHz is "important" has now been scientifically discredited. Such an artifical, arbitrary, and unduly constrained view of the "important" frequency spectrum is at odds with the newer and better science.

Fortunately, forward-thinking companies such as Sanken have addressed the need for expanded frequency recording by bringing out a new mic that goes up to 100kHz.

Too bad some 'verter boxes on the market are too weak and too slow and are therefore completely incapable showing off the full potential of Sanken's new 100kHz mic.

---Albert Einstein---

Pingu

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2006, 09:31:38 PM »

GS need a spell checker
If I defend myself I am attacked. But in defenselessness I will be strong, and I will learn what my defenses hide.

PookyNMR

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2006, 12:29:58 PM »

Johnny B wrote on Wed, 22 February 2006 23:13

Apparently some people like to simply ignore the good science that is out there which proves that "certain people's" position is weak and untenable. For example, they like to ignore or summarily dismiss the white papers compiled by entire teams of multidisciplinary scientists and medical experts showing that so-called "inaudible" high frequencies nevertheless show up on brain scans and that the inclusion of those high frequencies have a positive influence on the brain's pleasure centre.

Tests shown to have great flaws.  Other tests show the oposite is true.  We've been over that 1000 times.

Simply stated, when you do not artificially truncate, decimate, impose digital math rounding errors, and you add in those "important" high frequencies, people experience increased pleasure when they listen to music.  

I challenge you to find an analog system in common use with those important >22k frequencies.  Oh wait, we've been there 1000x before and that challenge has been unmet to prove your analog is better assertions.

The old myth that that only 20Hz to 20kHz is "important" has now been scientifically discredited. Such an artifical, arbitrary, and unduly constrained view of the "important" frequency spectrum is at odds with the newer and better science.

First of all, it has NOT been discredited as a myth.  Yet analog gear is still subject to that bandwidth as it was also designed around the 20-20k understanding.  And you still will not find input or output transducers in common use that exceed 20k.  

What I find even funnier is that on sources that do have a lot of >20k frequency content, a ribbon mic is usually the mic of choice.  Ever see the frequency plot of a ribbon??  Smile

Mind you, we've been there 1000x times too.

Fortunately, forward-thinking companies such as Sanken have addressed the need for expanded frequency recording by bringing out a new mic that goes up to 100kHz.

Too bad some 'verter boxes on the market are too weak and too slow and are therefore completely incapable showing off the full potential of Sanken's new 100kHz mic.

And now for the real funny part...  Someone here actually tried out the Sanken mic and they thought it sounded terrible!  Laughing

I'm not trying to be a jerk to you, but rather point out that we've been up and down all your arguements 1000x and shown where they completely fall apart.  Let it rest.  If you can answer Dan or Brad's challenges, then maybe someone may listen again.

Peace.

Nathan Rousu

Johnny B

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2006, 08:06:43 PM »

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I've heard all the lame ass Digital Math Scoundrels' phony arguments and listened for years to these Goddamn liars making the sillycon chips try to "explain away" why digital sound quality still sucks.

And FYI, you ought to know by now that many of the best analogue outboard gear designers in the business discard the old discredited 20-to-20 myth and use a far less constrained and artificially constricted frequency spectrum. Read your specs pal! You'll find all kinds of gear goes well beyond the old myth figures of 20-to-20.

And you may want to be careful about relying on fake authority figures who have zero expertise in the medical field or with human anatomy because you may awaken KK Proffitt who may decide to come back here to take down those who espouse certain old-fashioned and obsolete attitudes.

IMHO, you'd be better off getting familiar with the new and better science, science conducted by objective, financially disinterested, multidisciplinary teams of qualified experts, rather than relying solely on the narrow-minded personal opinion of someone selling a product or service.  Just as a general observation, research funded by corporations often produces reports that unfairly skew the data in an entirely biased manner in an effort that seeks to tout the benefits of the funding corporation's products or services.

This is why research conducted by unbiased teams of multidisciplinary experts, with no entanglements with any financial interests or incentives, produces far more credible science.

You are certainly entitled to do your own research or even conduct some tests using brain scans done on an MRI machine, however, I would strongly suggest you get the proper experts to help you understand those brain scans.

In addition, I would strongly suggest you include a proper sample of the world's female population since they seemingly have far better ears and more refined total body responses to the stimulus provided by sound waves than do old, middle-aged, white men.

BTW, those brain scans do not lie, and they authoritatively prove beyond any doubt that those so-called "inaudible" high frequencies have a positive impact on the brain's pleasure centres.

That's real science. Get used to it.  

---Albert Einstein---

bblackwood

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2006, 07:47:08 AM »

Johnny, enough of the troll-like behavior. If you derail one more topic to rant about analog vs digital, you're going to get a vacation from R/E/P.

Start your own thread if you want to discuss something, but stop hijacking other threads.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Pingu

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2006, 08:18:19 PM »

Im on suspension at GS for being a tit

Ron Steele

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2006, 05:48:25 PM »

I'd say gearsluts keeps things on track. There is alot of good information
over there. On the other hand, some forums in the marsh are extremely
controlled and censored often.
 "I have had PLENTY of my posts torched on other boards. It kind of goes with the territory of pushing the envelope. Their house, their rules. Why can't everyone GET this?"

Michael Durovic

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2006, 03:13:51 AM »

hi all,
as I'm in danger to hijack that thread by myself I shouldn't...
but it's on my tounge (as johnny b has no pm):

I still do have one case opened by myself (at j.halls about treating tracks) but...

All I can say is I don't like johnnys behaviour. It's just like an 15yr old  pissing on everyones feet...
get into disucusson-able forms of opinion-searching and don't share any longer your odd viewing on life.

I ('m) mean:
Here in Austria, if you behave that way you can just bring yourself up with connections (which I doubt to be set up easily with that attitude) rather than knowledge or product oriented working.

Probably it's too direct:
How many paid-jobs did you finish until now?
you never have enough time

minister

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2006, 05:20:35 PM »

Michael Durovic wrote on Thu, 02 March 2006 02:13

All I can say is I don't like johnnys behaviour. It's just like an 15yr old  pissing on everyones feet...
get into disucusson-able forms of opinion-searching and don't share any longer your odd viewing on life.
i think the only way to deal with him is to completely ignore him.  and he wil go away.  don't even dignify his incessant drivel with a response.  he is just trying to get a rise out of people.

that "ignore this user" thing is a breath of fresh air.

differing opinions, passionate debate, argument is one thing, he is another.
tom hambleton C.A.S.
minister of fancy noises
ministry of fancy noises

IMDb

Michael Durovic

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2006, 02:23:55 AM »

of course mr. minister. Smile
you never have enough time

Jules

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2006, 07:17:18 AM »

Here's one for all you ORTF fans (as you know I learned it all from someone here drawing a picture for me)

http://www.hauptmikrofon.de/ima2-folder/ImageAssistant2.html

enjoy!

pupcostudios

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2007, 02:33:54 AM »

OK, so I KNOW NOT TO FEED THE TROLLS BUT... I was merely typing in gearslutz into Google, because I lost the bookmark and I find this thread right beneath the gearslutz address. I can not help myself and I just HAD TO REGISTER. I know not of what this gentleman speaks of about needless censorship over there (Gearslutz) but, since his own post is off topic here goes.
Just a few things to think about when you start ranting about digital VS analog and freq. response of the human ear/brain etc. Would it interest anyone to know that I have read studies that suggest that most people can not tell the difference between a well done MP3 and analog or digital at any sampling rate or word depth. Sure, we all want better products, if that was this man's only motive, but his only real flaw is the REALITY of what he is talking about. Simply put I defy you to tell me that even though the technology is available such as ribbon tweeters and many other such high freq. devices, and there are other such devices that address frequencies into infra-sound, that is true, but please do a reality check and see what your core market that means lets say only 60% of the people out there listening to music simply put they do not possess any equipment that is much better than the 20-20 standard. I would also defy this person to tell me that he owns the proper equipment to listen to a recording that I make that runs the range of 8Hz to 60kHz. As he said "check your specs"...

I seriously doubt this troll has even the ability if he were to check his own specs to play anything in the above mentioned realm, let alone the absurdity of 100KHz! If you want to hear that kind of frequency response from music in the next, oh I suppose at least 50 years, and then probably not even at that time. He obviously does not have much of a thriving business based in reality, as the reality of the majority of music listeners on this planet right now, that is the youngsters; ask the record folks who they market to... It is all about an invention called the iPod, let's see the resolution of the apple codec used for an iPod. More and more MP3 players are king in this industry, and though I have cheap headphones with response beyond my hearing, the device will not produce it.

Simply put sir, you should not be moaning as a recording engineer for these things that just will not be realized with any economy or logic, instead become a listener and just go to venues for which there are instruments that actually purposfully create these frequencies as primary or even sympathetic frequencies.

Before I stepped off stage and behind the other side of the mic, I would have weeded out your type of engineer, assuming you even hold that title in a few seconds of needless banter as I put your business card in the round file.

Simply put, get with the program, todays technology does not support what you yearn to record, and try selling silence at 100KHz to an audiophile even for the price one would pay for a phenomenal device that could spew that out.

I'll tell you what, 8 tracks have better resolution than CD's do, why don't you get into the 8-track duplication business, and then well maybe you would go broke, loose your computer and not bother these poor innocent folks on this forum, nor would you pop up as a blip on the radar on Google when I search.

Rant over, I fed the troll, and I know that is a no-no, but if we were going to have someone to censor, we should censor this person's unsubstantiated, irrational thought about what the reality of what TODAY's Music business really is all about. Sure make better gear, but I will be buying a whole lot of ice cream sandwiches with my money before wasting it on any of this technology that no consumer owns or cares about.

If you are in business, good luck, and if I were you I would not be sharing your ideas with clients, as I as a musician would have you pegged as a person to pass up on my way to making a record.

Cheers all, and this is my FIRST POST, so don't be too hard on me for feeding a troll, I promise, I will try to stop now... BTW nice forum, and thanks strange opinionated man for making this asinine post come up on Google so I could connect with this fine forum community!

dwire
PUPCo Studios

Larrchild

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2007, 05:25:57 AM »

Yes, but it's a year and a half since the last post on this thread.

Jules said it on page one here:
"What we find with some 'hot topics' is that long after the shit storm has settled a newbie discovers the subject and posts up a NEW thread and points 'look this is outrageous'

At that point things become tedious
,"

indeed.

index.php/fa/6419/0/
Sometimes, these old threads are like that show 'Time Tunnel".
You just never know when someone is gonna rematerialize from 2005.
Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

maxdimario

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2007, 07:17:12 AM »

hello pupco.

while the issues of having to deal with shit consumer technology are real, and we've all had to deal with them in one way or another, I don't think you should be as categoric as that in this case.

Vinyl and 8-tracks were better reproducing mediums for people who had a decent setup. Cheap stereos sounded noticeably different from their high-end counterparts to all.

with digital, the cheap stuff sounds close to the expensive stuff in terms of the most obvious distortion types.  Low noise, flat freq. response and low thd is shared by the cheap as well as expensive reproducers..

so this is why digital wins, along with portability and ease of selection.

while you are working with a current reality, you need to know that change will come, and new possibilities will be exploited.

it's up to the people who know better to use their influence to fight the downward trend in quality and participate in the choice of what is considered to be technically acceptable.

we know that quality DOES make a difference

the record industry is not the soap industry and it should never have been treated as such.

what you see now is the term 'record industry' taken literally... and you can see that records do not really fit into the modern corporate industry model... which spawns the adapt-or-die attitudes towards what is fundamentally a proverbial flying donkey.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2007, 11:13:32 AM »

Kill me now.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Hank Alrich

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2007, 01:01:19 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Fri, 12 October 2007 08:13

Kill me now.

No no, no! I want to sell J...B some analog mixers from Bogen!!

Fibes

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2007, 06:00:24 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Fri, 12 October 2007 11:13

Kill me now.

Me minutes ago.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

maxdimario

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2007, 06:10:30 PM »

glad to see everyone is in shape!

studiojimi

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2007, 07:10:47 PM »

what's a little sucking between gear forums?
CAZADOR RECORDING
STUDIOJIMI'S PSW SONG FORUM
MY MYSPACE
How very good and pleasant it is
when kindred live together in unity!
Psalm 133:1

pupcostudios

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2007, 08:55:42 PM »

OK, so I should have left it alone... But how the hell did the spiders and robots put this P.O.S. thread as number two on Google? Maybe someone should explore that as some kind of mind programming plot to destroy and defame Gearslutz. I have gotten everything from some good gear to some excellent advise over there, and while all forums are up and down with relevant ant irrelevant comments by people with varying opinions, I find it no harder to weed out the good from the bad on GS than on any other forum I have read behind the scenes posted to or otherwise, whether recording or otherwise.

There were some good points made by (well I can not go back and name you now while writing this, but just look directly below my post, notably the one beginning hello PUPCo...) I never said that anyone is not 1) allowed to posses an opinion on a forum, that is the main concept. 2) I will regardless of getting a bad name in record time on only my second post on this fine message board stick to my guns about a few of the realities of life. One important one is that the consumer likes CD's and how they sound... Now of course this can not be a blanket statement for all "audiophile types" but I think people should be in touch with this fact. Most people myself included at the advent of the CD was happy to see noise levels drop, the convenience of cueing tracks, portability, "general sound quality", and maintenance issues that all made the advent of the CD a good medium when it was introduced to the consumer.

I think we should all want more from our musical mediums, and in doing so we drive the makers to make those advances that push the "industry" to new standards. But, tell everyone even after how long CD's have been out now that there is some new medium for which the majority of people listening can not hear the real difference in the recording that they need to go through the whole ditch the album and change over their prized collection to the modern CD, I think you would still see a lot of resistance, people in my experience, and estimation are happy with the CD for now, and the buyers have way more to do with what mediums the end user product goes on than myself, some deluded engineer.

I want cars that run on water. Is that so much to ask? Hydrogen and Oxygen; perfect combustion sounds great! What happens if I start making cars like this today, and everyone is to jump ship and buy my new super car, it would ruin the world economy, and that is a fact. Now how this applies to the music business, I don't really know now, I think I had a point... Oh yeah, it is OK for me to want a fuel cell car or a water separating machine that powers such a marvelous vehicle, but this is a tangible improvement over a fossil fuel based car, you can pee in the tank and get home on a cold winter night...

What does the CONSUMER TODAY have to benefit from the destruction of the CD medium? I am not sure what that might be,as all in all even talented well respected knowledgeable client

pupcostudios

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2007, 09:07:25 PM »

BTW, I might note I noticed the "ignore all posts by this user" option of the BB; sweeeeet! Please don't be so quick to click me off on this category as the previous post was only my second to this forum. You never know, some day I may have something constructive to say that might be of use or help to some folks out there pondering one thing or another. I will try to be brief and to the point in the future, and beside I don't normally gratify this type of thread with my mucked up opinions. I will from now on try to turn a new leaf of usefulness, and only post about relevant, current, and important topics! Sorry to all that frequent this forum... I am not trying to make enemies at this early stage of the game! Beside I am mostly a passive reader, and rarely respond to things, especially if I have not a particular experience or addition to add to things here. Please forgive my disgressions...

Best regards,
PUPCo Studios

Larrchild

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2007, 09:26:45 PM »

Naw man, welcome and don't sweat it.

We are weary soldiers and those wars of a year or two ago leave a bad memory of pointless drama.

But that's not your fault. You just picked up the pinless hand grenade, lol.

Again, welcome.
Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

pupcostudios

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2007, 01:09:46 AM »

Thanks Larry for making me feel like I am at home here! Cool

I better go now for I am a slow reader, and I am still taking the pinless hand grenade diffusion course....

Best regards to all!
Douglas Wire
PUPCo Studios

61strat

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2009, 03:12:07 AM »

I agree with the original poster.

After adventuring through gearslutz.com for several months,  I ended up realizing how much of more gear pimping is going on there than honest gear user opinions.  Which I thought initially the site was providing to the public.

I know, I know, some of you now are saying "What a dummy,  he just figured that out?".   Yea, I always have had the habit of looking at things initially as being honest and good.   I am learning now that this isn't always the case on gear forums such as gearslutz.com.

As stated before here on this thread, good information about gear gets deleted for no good reason, there is a prejudice of certain gear brand names and its so obvious there, and if you are not helping the "Cause" on a specific piece of gear, then you get forced out of the thread or
ridiculed.   I notice its the same group of guys pushing the same gear on certain threads on GS.  Over and over until somebody believes the hype and buys it.   You are a friend there if you are there to promote the Gearslutz product of the week.   If not, you're a troll and/or you should be banned.

I am not saying that there isn't any good honest information still living amongst there, but I noticed you have to be very careful on what you say or read on gearslutz.com.   It puzzles me why good threads get deleted for no good reason.  I noticed one Vintech thread that got locked by a GS moderator for no good apparent reason.  And that certain brand names of gear get ridiculed or deleted for no good reason.    And if you dare to say you don't like the piece of gear that the moderator does sell, then you will be ridiculed or pressured out or even get banned on some cases that I have seen there.   It is not a place for honest open un-intimidated information.

I have finally took the dark shades off and see all the light of BS that gets put on that forum.    I am new to this forum and I hope that I can speak honestly about my user experiences on products I have owned or used in my studio.

Gearslutz.com has taught me a few things.  That what gets posted may be totally false and hyped for the sole purpose of gear sales.  And you have to be cautious about what you post.  If you are not helping the cause at GS, then you will know.  Because your post will be deleted or censored.    

Additionally, I also couldn't help notice that lots of honest speakers starting to vanish, or quit, or don't want to participate on gearslutz.com.    For example, Fletcher was a asset there along with another user by the user name of Peeder.  These guys were some of the most honest guys on the forum in my observations.   People appreciate their honest feedback, but not the gear pimps or product manufactures.   Freedom of speech or honest user opinions doesn't exist.  

I sadly find gear pimps doing whatever they have to do to push sales.  Even having several false user identities in order to push sales on a specific product.  Are the facts? No, but its obvious.  When you got a new user who pops up from nowhere with 1-10 post in his history and he helping the dealer push his gear with a excessive enthusiasm. YES

Yea, I know its business.  Sales.  But dirty IMO, like some of the auto industry in our country and now look at our auto industry.     They are about to collapse.  Karma?  So I conclude, you should be careful when browsing through the dark slutty streets of gearslutz.com looking for a new slutty piece of gear.   I think they should change their name to Gearpimps.com with a slogon of   " If you ain't pimpin, then ain't postin"

Tomas Danko

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2009, 06:23:53 AM »

This is why we sometimes over react in the opposite way over here, in order to try and preserve the truly unique values that makes PSW what it is.

Because it is truly something to cherish and nurture with great care.

I have spoken to professionals in totally different fields, and they have never heard of anything even remotely similar to PSW within their industry. Every attempt to establish something similar has failed and turned into a diluted mush of misinformation, trolling and groundless hearsay.

The state that we enjoy here is probably a lot more fragile than one might think, which only makes PSW even more precious.
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

maxim

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2009, 06:59:00 AM »

not only is gear not getting pimped, but the folks on these boards are creating great NEW gear and GIVING it AWAY at cost price

web 3.0 here we come...

Bill_Urick

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2009, 09:19:01 AM »

I miss Pingu.
His avatar makes me smile.
index.php/fa/10896/0/
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

compasspnt

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2009, 09:36:43 AM »

Welcome Joe From Mars.

PSW is an amazing place, especially considering it is on "the internets."

Lots of Members here, and Moderators, make or sell gear, own studios, mastering houses, are independent Producers or Engineers, etc., but everyone who "makes it" here keeps things honest and open.

I have seen little like it on other fora.

GS may indeed seem "pimpy" at times, but I can tell you that Jules is a great guy, knows his audio, and has a huge and difficult job there keeping things as straight as possible; so let's not over-blame him, at least.

We here are a smaller community, fortunately, so maybe that helps us keep it real.

Please hang around and contribute!

Berolzheimer

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2009, 02:42:03 PM »

Bill_Urick wrote on Mon, 12 January 2009 06:19

I miss Pingu.
His avatar makes me smile.
index.php/fa/10896/0/

Have you ever seen the Pingu videos?  They're wonderful & charming.

The film sound side of my life:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0077235/

A bunch of songs I've recorded and/or mixed are here:
http://www.zget.me/billionaires/

Bill_Urick

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2009, 11:16:17 PM »

I have not. But more "wonderful and charming" in the world could not be a bad thing. Thanks for the tip.
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

garret

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2009, 01:10:39 AM »

Tomas Danko wrote on Mon, 12 January 2009 05:23

I have spoken to professionals in totally different fields, and they have never heard of anything even remotely similar to PSW within their industry. Every attempt to establish something similar has failed and turned into a diluted mush of misinformation, trolling and groundless hearsay.

The state that we enjoy here is probably a lot more fragile than one might think, which only makes PSW even more precious.

Absolutely true.  Web communities like this are incredibly rare.

There is one similar place I know of... for heating industry professionals to talk shop, and for consumers to ask for help.  The experts there helped me to fix up the 90 year old steam heat system in my house.  Good bunch of guys.

http://www.heatinghelp.com
http://forums.invision.net/index.cfm?CFApp=2 (the forums)

tomorrow is already here - http://www.worksongs.net/

i dig music

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2009, 12:42:24 PM »

i always enjoyed GS and PSW....

while there are issues mods have to deal with from time to time......both places have always been cool to hang out in and our not trying to dis their users.

one suggestion with this thread......i do believe the title "Gearslutz SUCKS now" should be changed..... considering.

its a little tacky and unfair to jules to have it floating around here, especially when it is the farthest thing from the truth.
R. Steele

rankus

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2009, 04:32:11 PM »

i dig music wrote on Thu, 15 January 2009 09:42

its a little tacky and unfair to jules to have it floating around here, especially when it is the farthest thing from the truth.

Agreed ... it should be retired... btw IT'S TWO YEARS OLD folks

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

i dig music

« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2009, 10:47:49 PM »

rankus wrote on Thu, 15 January 2009 15:32

i dig music wrote on Thu, 15 January 2009 09:42

Agreed ... it should be retired... btw IT'S TWO YEARS OLD folks

Wow, I did not even notice the dates, which even makes for a more compelling reason to retire this thread.

And, as for 61strat's "reply" to this thread........ a year later, it kinda smells. given its his first post ever on psw, it certainly appears suspicious...........and 61strat, please post your real name in your sig or profile.

Also, I don't understand the whole "Lots of Members here........keeps things honest and open" thing. And....."GS may indeed seem "pimpy" at times.........."but jules is cool" trip. I  guess I'm just wondering why is anyone comparing, or who's keeping score..and for what reason? And as for "pimpy"...PSW has one of those...one who everybody respects and enjoys for a variety of reasons...but in the end everything has its purpose, so WTF? GS has been around since the beginning of AE BBS, and it has many many many new comers interested in audio, but it also has very very strong base of seasoned AE professionals as well who have been there and here for many years. Both places offer different things for different folk...really, what's so wrong with that?

Honestly, Jules has never allowed negative forum to forum crap to exist on his BBS, and while I'm not a mod, I've been around the block here and there and other places. Keeping this thread alive is disrespectful to Jules and to people that hang out at GS and PSW.

Just my 2 cents.
R. Steele

Jules

« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2009, 08:00:19 AM »

yeah well..

Several years on and there have been some developments and some areas of no change..

1) we now have ways to detect multiple user ID's and deleted covert posting 'covert marketing' ID's when ever we can. We actively encourage the Gearslutz.com community to actively REPORT 'covert marketing' activities and we frequently shut down people that have been abusing the system.

2) the problem of the 'dealer / engineer' who's advice always seems to (coincidentally  Rolling Eyes ) point to a brand of equipment in their own range of goods for sale - CONTINUES TO BE TIRESOME. However - one has to trust in some degree of intelligence of the gearslutz.com visitors to be able to see these very regular posters for the pimps they are. Shocked . (We may end up with a situation where dealers are 'quarantined' in a special dealer area and completely disallowed out in the main forum areas - this is what a lot of very busy Automobile discussion forums do..(they are super strict about keeping sales weasels away from the membership.)

3) we continue to halt or remove rehashed, long term bashing - Once a horse is flogged, we don't go for the messy, continued pounding of its carcass.

4) There are 13 moderators at gearslutz and each has their own moderation style. In a forum context freedom of speech can sometimes mean freedom to insult or freedom to 'trash'. The moderators are united in not wanting insults and malicious (or agenda driven) trashing expeditions on the forum. If people don't like the forum moderation - they are free to vote with their feet.

Thanks for the constructive criticism

Kris

« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2009, 10:19:43 AM »

Julez RULEZ!!!

wwittman

« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2009, 06:31:50 PM »

Are there 4 pages on gearslutz discussing PSW?

would it be 'allowed'?

I hope so.

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 19 queries.