R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Guitar Amp For the Studio  (Read 20951 times)

James Duncan

Re: Guitar Amp For the Studio
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2006, 09:08:16 AM »

Reviving once again!!!

Picked up a Fender Twin yesterday...oh man, this thing sounds so sweet with a clean sound, and that spring reverb is to die for!

So now, I am setup with:

Marshall JCM Slash 100w
Marshall JCM200 TSL 601 combo
Marshall JCM200 DSL 401 combo (EL84s)
Peavey rack-mounted tube preamp
Mesa Boogie 2:90
Fender Twin
A couple of (crap) modeling pres (ART, Yamaha, Behringer)

What sounds are missing here? Obviously the Vox AC30 sound springs to mind, and possibly the Mesa Recto sound. The Slash does a pretty good Plexi imitation on its "clean" channel. How about the Roland clean sound for more jazzy stuff?

Any advice to fill out the arsenal? I am hoping to cover off on most bases here realizing that I can never get them all. I would just like to be able to offer a pretty good selection to choose from.
James Duncan

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
Napoleon Bonaparte

Vertigo

« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2006, 12:40:29 PM »

Seriously - try the Pritchard:

http://www.pritchardamps.com

He guarantees it as "the BEST amp" and will refund your money with no hassle at all if you don't like it. Put it next to your other amps and see what you think.

I'd be surprised if you don't find it to be one of the most exciting pieces of guitar gear you've ever played through. And I'd love to hear your opinion of how it stacks up against the other amps in your collection.

Add the Pritchard and a Mesa single recto to your collection and there's probably not a sound out there you won't be able to find.

-Lance

Vertigo

« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2006, 12:42:30 PM »

BTW - I'll check out that 906. The e609 black-face is a favorite of mine for guitar cabs, but they're getting really hard to find now.

-Lance

John Ivan

« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2006, 12:51:25 PM »

One thing I take from this thread is that there can be no end to finding great tones with all kinds of amps. How cool.

Ivan................................................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

James Duncan

« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2006, 08:32:19 PM »

ivan40 wrote on Sun, 05 March 2006 12:51

One thing I take from this thread is that there can be no end to finding great tones with all kinds of amps. How cool.

Hehe...very true! And every tone has its place!

Vertigo, I checked out the Pritchard, and it looks interesting. Lots of versatility there, but nothing in particular that really knocked my socks off from the sound clips. But as you say, he guarantees it or he gives you money back.
James Duncan

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
Napoleon Bonaparte

patrick_wilson

« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2006, 11:00:15 PM »

Fibes wrote on Fri, 13 January 2006 08:57

I've got one of these on the way:

http://www.toneking.com/products/imperial/imperial650x543.jpg

Should be here on Tuesday.

Man, those Tone Kings are something else!  I have the one pictured and a Comet 20w with Sylvania 6v6's and let me tell you, there's nothing like 'em!
Mark Bartel makes them and he's a great guy too.
The Budda Superdrive II's are great as well.  
Too much money but channel 3 on a Diezel VH4 is pretty special.
I hate to say it but if you have a little patience NI's Guitar Rig 2 is great also.
I've heard that Avatar cabinets are amazing as well.
Cheers

Tidewater

« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2006, 11:08:48 PM »

I used to have a pair of small Marshall Artists, hybrid, I think the model was 3204. These were heads, there was at least a 12" combo too.

It's like 35wts, made mid-80s, tube front end, channel switching, and reverb. Very good sounding amps, and for a time, they were everywhere.

The clean is wide. Cranked, the damned things sound like Gary Moore... not blues Gary Moore, "Corridors of Power" Gary Moore. Thumpity Thump!

They have to be out there somewhere, cheap.

M
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year

Vertigo

« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2006, 10:40:00 AM »

Quote:

Vertigo, I checked out the Pritchard, and it looks interesting. Lots of versatility there, but nothing in particular that really knocked my socks off from the sound clips. But as you say, he guarantees it or he gives you money back.

Yeah, the clips on the Pritchard site don't do the amp justice in the slightest. To be honest I don't think that any of those clips are particularly well recorded. I admit, the amp is a bit tricky to get onto tape if you're not experienced with mic'ing tunnel back cabinets, but if you know what you're doing you can get fantastic results without a lot of effort. I'd love to see what someone here (other than myself) with a great amp collection thinks about it. And if it doesn't blow you away just send it back Smile

-Lance

floodstage

« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2006, 12:29:44 PM »

Maybe a stupid question but....

What is a tunnel backed cabinet?

Vertigo

« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2006, 01:50:27 PM »

A tunnel-back is kind of like an open-back cabinet except the speakers aren't fully exposed in the back. The Pritchard has almost a "bass port" design in the back which causes a natural cross-over at around 250hz or so. This is great in that it causes the amp to sound the same regardless of where you are in the room, but this also means that the low end frequency response of the amp is dependent upon the room. So any time you move the amp you'll need to re-adjust the low end until it sounds "right". This isn't a big deal though, and takes only a few seconds - if it sounds right it is right.

-Lance

Buzz

« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2006, 06:58:27 PM »

Vertigo HEY BUD !!!! , I use an old MXR DynaComp as a front end driver it gives you great overdrive with killer sustain to boot

I have a old Line 6 ( I KNOW !! ) AX212 that I changed the speakers in it to Weber BLue Dogs and Silver bell 30 watts each on a 60 watt power section and it SOUNDS GREAT !! BTW

I also built a marshall 18 watt clone for recording  but the Line 6 sounds better ??????

Later
Buzz

PS: Good work on the CaPE iii project

Vertigo

« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2006, 07:06:23 PM »

Hey Buzz-dude!

I got a CD the other day of a friend of mine's band, a very "Rush-esque" kind of project. She tracked all of her guitars on a 2x12 Spider. And the guitars sound GREAT, as much it pains me to admit it...

So the 18 watt didn't turn out well? I've got about half the parts together for one, I just have too many DIY projects on the table at the moment so it'll be a while before I start that one.

You doing CapeIV?

-Lance

Tidewater

« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2006, 08:15:11 PM »

Buzz, try the 18wt into a 4x12.

M
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year

tats_dragon

« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2006, 02:06:22 PM »

Quote:

Any advice to fill out the arsenal? I am hoping to cover off on most bases here realizing that I can never get them all. I would just like to be able to offer a pretty good selection to choose from.

One aspect of the guitar tone you might want to explore is the speaker.  A few 1x12 or 2x12 cabs like these:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZ1cabman11QQhtZ-1
with different speakers might offer tonal variety.

Speakers to check out:
Tone Tubby Alnico
Tone Tubby Ceramic
Celestion Blue
Celestion GreenBack Heritage
Weber Blue dogs
etc.

Jun

LSilva

« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2006, 01:56:47 PM »

tats_dragon wrote on Sat, 11 March 2006 14:06

One aspect of the guitar tone you might want to explore is the speaker.  A few 1x12 or 2x12 cabs like these:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZ1cabman11QQhtZ-1
with different speakers might offer tonal variety.

Wow. Those look nice!

Have you actually seen/tried any of this guy's stuff?  If so, how do they sound? How about the build quality?

I've had a Weber 12" Chicago speaker that's been sitting in a box for about a year now while I've been searching for a decent, affordable, unloaded cabinet.

These guys just might fit the bill.

-Lou
Lou Silva

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.