R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Guitar Amp For the Studio  (Read 20948 times)

James Duncan

Re: Guitar Amp For the Studio
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2006, 09:47:26 AM »

Dilbert: Thanks for the links, great info.

Update:

1) I played the Jubilee at GC again last night...*amazing*! I am on the hunt as we speak. This is not the amp for everyone, but it is a good choice for the non-metal crowd imho.

2) I took Jun's advice and re-tubed the JCM200 TSL amp, and it made a pretty significant difference. I had switched out the power tubes about 2 years ago, but the pre-amp tubes had not been replaced in a while. Sounds *much* better!!! THANKS JUN!!!

The TSL will probably work for a while until I can find a good Jubilee. In the mean time I am taking a clean DI'ed track for later re-tracking.
James Duncan

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
Napoleon Bonaparte

sonic dogg

« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2006, 08:22:16 PM »

Nice clips BTW...

Have you tried (in no particular order)  Carr Hammerhead....Bogner Metropolis....Gibson Super Goldtone???

My guess is you'll never look at a Marshall for anything again.(doorstop)

And I loved my Wednesday built JCM800 2-12 combo.........
"What Kind of fool am I?"---Anthony Newley

Dave Martin

« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2006, 08:49:38 PM »

I'm bummed - the owner of the '64 deluxe took it with him when he left this afternoon - he said something about 'another session', but dammit - I LIKED having that amp in my studio...

On the plus side, he DID return my electric sitar...

maxim

« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2006, 10:37:47 PM »

dave wrote:

"On the plus side, he DID return my electric sitar..."

to those about to rock...

redfro

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2006, 02:58:40 PM »

James Duncan wrote on Sun, 08 January 2006 08:43

So if you had to choose, what is a *good* JCM800???

The first series with no master volume. The JMP Master Lead 100 is great for the instant AC/DC thing. All knobs to 5...

If you're looking for a great rock (not metal) amp for recording the best I've found is the Soldano SL2 60. Single channel, less distortion than an SLO and lots of balls. I use one though a Mesa Half Back 4 x 12 (top open, bottom closed).

My $.02....
Wes Pitzer
WCS Media

sekim

« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2006, 02:38:05 PM »

Buzz wrote on Sun, 08 January 2006 20:29

...nobody has even mentioned SPEAKERS...

After listening to the clip, that's my first question - what cab was used and what's the cab loaded with?

I saw JD has a 2x12 cab (is this what the clip was using?).  If it's a particle board Marshall 1936 I'd consider ditching it and see if you can find an early plywood version and load it to taste.  FWIW I like the G12T-75 best in the ply box (after also using it with Greenbacks, V30's, EVM12L's).

James Duncan

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2006, 07:25:48 AM »

sekim wrote on Thu, 12 January 2006 14:38

Buzz wrote on Sun, 08 January 2006 20:29

...nobody has even mentioned SPEAKERS...

After listening to the clip, that's my first question - what cab was used and what's the cab loaded with?

I saw JD has a 2x12 cab (is this what the clip was using?).  If it's a particle board Marshall 1936 I'd consider ditching it and see if you can find an early plywood version and load it to taste.  FWIW I like the G12T-75 best in the ply box (after also using it with Greenbacks, V30's, EVM12L's).

As a matter of fact, it is a Marshall 1936...so are these things "dogs" then? I also used (interchangeably) the internal 12" speaker in the combos.

As another update...

I had a friend loan me a Peavey Classic 30 (EL84s) with the thought that we could use the clean channel, and just crank it up to get it to break up. We tried that last night, and it wasn't bad, but it was a bit brittle, even with the highs turned down. It definitely was an improvement, and we knew we were on the right track.

Next, we tried that same experiment with the Marshall TSL601 (EL34s), and believe it not, we got a fairly decent sound using the 12" speaker in the amp itself. It is not perfect, but it is very usable...finally! Smile

I have never been a fan of the clean sound of this amp, but when cranked to almost unbearable levels, it breaks up quite nicely with a humbucker-equipped guitar, and gives that AC/DC type of sound.

Still on the prowl for a Jubilee, and it sounds like a new speaker cab too!

Thanks for all the advice folks. I'll try to get a clip posted of the new sound here in the next day or two.
James Duncan

Napoleon Bonaparte

sekim

« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2006, 10:19:37 AM »

You may be looking for a new *old* cab!  Rolling Eyes  If you can, check to see if your's is particle board and let us know!

Fibes

« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2006, 11:57:51 AM »

I've got one of these on the way:

http://www.toneking.com/products/imperial/imperial650x543.jpg

Should be here on Tuesday.
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

floodstage

« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2006, 12:48:49 PM »

Fibes wrote on Fri, 13 January 2006 11:57

I've got one of these on the way:

index.php/fa/2197/0/

Should be here on Tuesday.

All that thing is missing is a black and white picture tube!

NelsonL

« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2006, 12:52:52 PM »

Mine gets the major networks too:

http://wug.physics.uiuc.edu/courses/phys398emi/amps/amp_pix/60s_Silvertone_1482.jpg

James Duncan

« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2006, 11:38:39 AM »

OK folks, just reviving this old thread with an update:

I picked up a JCM Slash model, which is a Jubilee Reissue that came out in 1997. This thing is "supposedly" a wire-for-wire recreation of the Jubilee, and was the first signature series amp that Marshall ever made. It was released in very limited quantities (3,000 units), and is in pretty high demand from what I understand.

Here is a link with some more info:

http://www.blamepro.com/marslash.htm

OK...so how does it sound?

Well, in a word, "AMAZING"!!! This is nicest-sounding amp I have ever heard, and it just blows me away every time I hear it!

It is defintely NOT for the metal, death or thrash crowd, but for straight-ahead rock, it is just stunning!

I did a quick re-tube with some Mesa tubes, and all I can say is that this amp is worth its weight in gold! In the next couple of months, I will probably look into some boutique tubes (NOS Mullards or TTs or something), but in the mean time, I cannot imagine this thing sounding any better!

(Can you tell that I am happy???!!!)

This is one of those "finally" moments! I have been searching for that holy grail of rock guitar sounds for many years, and for me, this is it! I do understand that everyone has a different sound in their mind, so for others, the holy grail will most likely be something else completely different.

I have not tried tracking anything to tape yet, but that will most likely happen this weekend with some test takes, and then in earnest, next week.

Thanks to all who advised on this thread...I am broke, but happy as can be!
James Duncan

Napoleon Bonaparte

hargerst

« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2006, 01:07:12 PM »

This is our little amp collection:
index.php/fa/2400/0/
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

spcbrown

« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2006, 01:33:34 PM »

Did anybody say anything about the THD uni and THD bi vaulve with switchable preamp & output tubes...and the hot plates?
These little 15 & 30 watt babies are great amps and the real deal.All ya need is a select bunch of tubes...not a select bunch of amp heads. These are made for tube rollin. EL34, EL84,6L6, KT88,KT90, 5881, 6550...takes em all aswell as the different preamp tubes.
regards,
Adam "The Thread Jacker" Brown

James Duncan

« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2006, 08:21:21 AM »

Nice setup Harvey!!!

I now have the Slash Jubilee head, a JCM2000 TSL (EL34) and a JCM2000 DSL (EL84) along with 1960 and 1936 Marsahll cabs, a Peavey all-tube 3-channel unit and my Mesa Boogie. Next up: Fender Twin.

With regard to recording the Jubilee:

Last night, we set up some quick and dirty recording tests using differing combinations of mics and mic pres:

Mics:
Beyer M201
Shure SM57
Sennheiser MD421
Royer R121
Neumann U87 (ambience)
Sennheiser e906

Pres:
Great River NV
Focusrite ISA
API 512C
Telefunken v672

Not too surprisingly, the Great River tended to be on the winning side most of the time, no matter which mic was used, however surprisingly that damn Focusrite kept turning out good sounds even when I didn't want to like it.

Mic-wise, I was really surprised. We had a tough time getting anything at all to work with the Royer, and the 57 was just, well, a "57". The M201 was (of course) pretty great, and the MD421 really helped fill in the low end, but the BIGGEST SURPRISE was the little Senn e906. If you are not familiar with this, it is the big brother of the little square Senn 609, but has a couple of different filter settings.

I have had this mic for over a year now, and have struggled to find anything that it sounds good on! In fact, in the year that I have had it, I think it has only found use on one project with a punk band on some rhythm tracks. I have actually considered dumping it since it seems like such a dog.

But lo and behold, it really sounded good with this amp (filter setting at flat). The funny thing was it was the absolute LAST mic that we pulled out of the cabinet at the end of the evening, and didn't really expect a whole lot, but this little guy really held its own.

It sounded best when mixed in with the M201 and then adding a little bit of MD421 to pick up some of the low end. Pretty cool combination for a triple-tracked sound.

We didn't get through all the testing we wanted...for example, I think I might want to pull up a Senn MD441, and also might try putting the U87 and R121 right next to each other on the same speaker. So far, the 87 has only been used as a room mic.

All-in-all, I am very happy with this amp and the great sounds I am getting to tape with it. I had ear-to-ear grins all over the place last night! Definitely one of those shining moments in the studio.
James Duncan

Napoleon Bonaparte
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 20 queries.