R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fx w/Soundcraft 200B  (Read 2374 times)

Trumpetman2

Fx w/Soundcraft 200B
« on: March 22, 2006, 08:17:37 AM »

All:  Just got a great 24 channel 200B...I love it, but the 4 effect sends/returns are a bit confusing for a non-technical guy like me.  Can someone give me a simple way to do this right? Say, like saying: "only use fx1 or 3, then adjust the ...control pot on the board...."  There are apparently multi-use fx pots and the manual is not really very helpful... Smile  

Tim Halligan

Re: Fx w/Soundcraft 200B
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 08:57:55 AM »

Wow.

A bit of history there. I have fond memories of mixing many live gigs on a 200B...buts it's been years since I've looked at one.

So...

4 sends and returns.

From memory, Auxes 1 & 2 are pre-fader - or at least are switchable pre/post.

3 & 4 are post-fader only.

So, assuming you've got 4 effect boxes - 'verbs & delays etc - plug the out put of Aux 1 into the FX box. Plug the output of the box into Return 1's inputs...assuming they are stereo returns.

Repeat for the other sends/returns.

For this example, let's just use aux send/return 1.

To make the effect work, you need to firstly make sure the AUX SEND MASTER for the Aux is up. IIRC, they are knobs - not linear faders. Turn it up to unity, which is about 7 on the marked scale. I can't remember if they are +4 or -10...sorry...Rolling Eyes

Turn up the send on a channel...a lot. At this point you should see levels at the input of your FX box.

Route the Return to the Main outputs - which I assume you're listening to - and set that for unity. You should be hearing the effect. You will probably be hearing way too much effect. Turn down the CHANNEL send until the effect is at a sensible level.

Rinse & repeat for the other sends/returns.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Tim
"Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity." - J. Whynot

"You can tune a room only with a bulldozer." - Andy Peters

Trumpetman2

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 03:49:41 PM »

Tim:  Thanks much, but I think there might be something wrong w/my Yamaha REV7; I have it in AUX1 and when I turn up the aux send master, it makes a loud "howling" sound...the other fx boxes in that same send don't do this...or maybe its just that the REV7 is too sensitive?  Any ideas? Shocked

Tim Halligan

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 06:56:51 PM »

Trumpetman2 wrote on Fri, 24 March 2006 04:49

Tim:  Thanks much, but I think there might be something wrong w/my Yamaha REV7; I have it in AUX1 and when I turn up the aux send master, it makes a loud "howling" sound...the other fx boxes in that same send don't do this...or maybe its just that the REV7 is too sensitive?  Any ideas? Shocked

Ummm, no.

Can you explain "...the other fx boxes in that same send don't do this..." to me because I'm confused. Are you daisy-chaining fx boxes?

Perhaps you could explain how you have patched the various devices together?

There are - again from distant memory - sensititvity switches on both the inputs and outputs of the Rev 7. Certainly that bears further investigation.

Oh, I forgot to mention in my previous post that you need to run your fx boxes 100% wet. Oops. Rolling Eyes

Cheers,
Tim
"Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity." - J. Whynot

"You can tune a room only with a bulldozer." - Andy Peters

Trumpetman2

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 09:32:46 PM »

Tim:  Sorry for not being clear, what I meant is that when I try the other boxes (SRV 330, Lexicon 200, etc,) on FX1, it works fine.  I think you might have come accross the problem; it probably is my settings on the REV7.

Incidentally, I just recorded a "harry James type" song (Body & Soul) on my horn w/my "new" EV v2....WOW!  All other mics are a joke compared to this on trumpet...now, again, I don't have a Royer or a Coles, but all the others I have don't even come close!  I'm working on my website and will insert an mp3 of this - I love it!!!! Very Happy  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.