R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: BAE 1073 vs. AMS Neve  (Read 42704 times)

skygod

Re: BAE 1073 vs. AMS Neve
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2006, 01:42:57 PM »

I read intently thru the thread and there seems to be a lot of pent up anger based on personal loyalties to one product or group or idea over another. Its interesting how humans fight over ideas to the extreme of becoming willing to die for causes to the extent of strapping explosives on their own children and sending  them into marketplaces to blow themselves up just to kill their enemies.  I want to ask God about that someday when I meet him, becuase I never understood this phenomenon since childhood.  How can you place pre-toddlers in a playpen who have no vocabulary yet, and yet one beats the other up for no reason.  Jean Piaget might have figured it out, but I can't.

Rupert Neve is a gift to this era of world history.  Yet he suffers from the same problem everybody else does -- always running out of money!  He has bounced around between his own companies and consulting with so so many other companies over the years, that each step he takes in another direction, slams the door of availability for the last product we still might want to get our little dickbeaters on .... y'know, those timeless designs that folks are trying to get their hands on are either not available anymore, or if found are out are out of budgtary reach.  So we have clones ... and some better than others ... oh well. Thats the spirit of the human race "to move onward and therefore improvise."

So he's back now with the Portico line. See:
http://www.rupertneve.com/

I have only found one review of the 5012. Since there is so much really bad hot air out there comparing Neve to others, lets try comparing Neve to Neve shall we?  

Have any of you heavywights tried out the Portico Line yet, and if so (for those of you that have had the pleasure of owing or having used vintage Neve inboard or outboard in your careers) how do Portico modules compare to the venerated old Neve stuff that Mr. Fletcher has done a decent job outlining in this forum at:
http://www.prosoundweb.com/recording/articles/fletch/part3.s html

Many Thx in advance
/vr/rrc/
"The secret of the Universe is to be able to see things in different light ..." (John Stuart Mill)

Rantings of a blithering idiot ...
Hey I resent that remark ... I am NOT a Blitherer!

compasspnt

« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2006, 02:36:20 PM »

Roy and others,

Certainly the "original" Neve designs were great sounding, and are much revered.  But have the later (say, the last thirty years' worth) of RN designs sounded great, or been so accepted?

skygod

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2006, 02:59:23 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Sat, 11 February 2006 00:36

Roy and others,

Certainly the "original" Neve designs were great sounding, and are much revered.  But have the later (say, the last thirty years' worth) of RN designs sounded great, or been so accepted?

dear compasspnt-

yes and youssa!

an interesting thing happened to me on the way here today by way of 1972, i realized that one thing done very well, is well, one thing done very well. sure everything in the past three decades since the 'golden age' neve stuff came out is marvelous, but you know what, with many more bells and whistles, maybe sometimes too many. im not a technofreak that enjoys a lot of buttons, or eye wash stuff, but  i really love the old look and utility of old analog radio AM-MW-FM transmitters with their analog leds and dbv meters etc, like the old telefunken stuff etc.

my lucky break happened by accident in 1971 when a regional impresario (i guess that we the name they used back then for douchebag, oops, i mean producer) heard me perform at a theatrical recital in high school and quickly threw me into a touring conservatory trained orchestra who backed the big names of the era, because i was a prodigy savant player as a teen that could do 4/4 brit glam (circa the bowie freak show) and switch to 5/4 straight ahead to a 3/4 classical waltz without missing a beat. does god have a sense of humor or what?

we all know how inconsistent the mfg process and parts were back then, so one amp head could have sounded great and the next identical model off-shelf totally different and crappy. i had a 1968 marshall plexi -100 and a 1973 marshall plexi - 50 that both had reactive load resistors and attenuators built for me way back then by a guru electronics engineer/physicist who worked for aramco who i knew before reactive loads like the palmer pdi-03 or now pga-04 were even conceived or developed so that i could use these in an orchestral big band situation. i lucked out and both my heads were one trick puppies and were magical tone wise.

i loved those p-t-p heads thru custom jbl/altec loaded cabs. albeit they always hummed like crap because i was overseas, and the power was 220v 50 cycles and always dirty, and marshalls are notorious for lousy grounds in the slp line, so the guru managed to build a circuit to kill the hum too. i think i paid like a buck twenty five for each, and the strat and lp and archtop i had then cost me another two and a half bills. $500 was big bucks back then. i played these until i retired the two amps and had a nice cremation ceremony in my back yard with music and flowers and a small entourage of forest animals guests when  i stopped touring for good, because i had been touring with them since the early 70s and they were being held together by duct tape, roofing glue, staples, etc and had been rebuilt at least four times each because they kept blowing up, and once i took a hammer and smashed both their intestines to bits after a lousy show because i am a moron. but that
"The secret of the Universe is to be able to see things in different light ..." (John Stuart Mill)

compasspnt

« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2006, 03:27:19 PM »

Well, I didn't expect such a story, but...thanks, I  guess.

I was merely thinking how much I didn't like (for the most part) Focusrite, Amek, etc., etc. etc., in anywhere near the way I liked the original RN designs.

skygod

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2006, 10:19:49 AM »

sorry i digressed and became obnoxiously nostalgic even to myself lol. this thread became overbearingly hostile by so many normally very intelligent and very respected contributors, and i was feebly trying to add some lighthearted thoughts to calm the waters ...

Quote:

I was merely thinking how much I didn't like (for the most part) Focusrite, Amek, etc., etc. etc., in anywhere near the way I liked the original RN designs

you're right, for the most part me too and many others whose posts from hands-on experience i've read in many forums across the internet. i guess the wordy examples i used from my life experiences pertaining to guitar amplification [analogous against the generations of high end recording equipment of this thread]  centered around inconsistency in parts and mfg processes over time regardless of 'whatever genre of analog equipment' is in question.

that said, there were some amek products that weren't too terrible, e.g. the amek 9098i should not be overlooked for tracking and mixdown. i do not use nor ever plan to use focusrite when i already have ssl, api, trident, and helios strips to work with ... but thats a personal opinion and choice. one module that comes to mind is the trident S40 single-channel strip that i like very very much, even more so than the 1073.

remember, amek has primarily been a post production broadcast creature that ventured into the recording realm with the nudging of the great one -- whose last name starts with -N- that i dare not utter lest i be smote from upon high ...

well, we got two feet of snow last night in the NY metro and im going out now after my third gallon of coumbian coffee to start up the snow blower and dig us out. oh my, how much it sucks to be me Smile have a great weekend -
thx
/vr/rrc/

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 17 queries.