R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1/4" for mastering  (Read 2156 times)

redfro

1/4" for mastering
« on: December 30, 2005, 11:50:24 AM »

So I finally got the 1/4" for the studio, and I'm just about ready to send it to mastering. Having only sent digital files to be mastered before, I've just got a couple of questions for you ME's out there. I assume 1k and 10k test tones are all I need at the front end. How long should the tones be? And I assume that the first tone is 0.0 for the track documentation. Tape brand, calibration and speed on documentation. Anything I'm missing?
Wes Pitzer
WCS Media

billdooley

Re: 1/4" for mastering
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 12:23:31 PM »

Wes,

The least consistent characteristic from machine to machine is the bass response and the low end "bump".  I always preferred a full tone run. 30 seconds each of and in this order:
1K, 10K, 16K 100Hz, 50 Hz. All tones printed at +4dbm (0VU) from your console meters and verified on the recorder as 0VU with the machine switched to input.  The old Record Plant NYC standard was a 1/3 octave desending frequency sweep starting at 120HZ and ending at 40Hz in addition to the other tones.

Head and Tail leader the tones.  I would always prefer the tones to be placed at the end of your comped master reel # 1.  This is to avoid having to wind back to the top of that reel and then having to "play off" that reel for a proper "library wind"  everytime I needed to double check the tones.

Calibration level, tape speed, tape type can all be helpful.
The model number of the machine can give the engineer some insights as well.

Good Luck

bobkatz

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 06:08:32 PM »

redfro wrote on Fri, 30 December 2005 11:50

So I finally got the 1/4" for the studio, and I'm just about ready to send it to mastering. Having only sent digital files to be mastered before, I've just got a couple of questions for you ME's out there. I assume 1k and 10k test tones are all I need at the front end. How long should the tones be? And I assume that the first tone is 0.0 for the track documentation. Tape brand, calibration and speed on documentation. Anything I'm missing?

Hmmm.....

You want the works or just mustard and relish?

---If using NR, then include the NR tone. All other tones should be through the NR unit but with the NR in bypass or "out". Try to equate 0 VU with the Dolby level, you'll get best results, and there's no need to "push" levels when using NR

---Left/Right channel identification, slated

---All tones recorded for 30 seconds each at 0 VU on the machine. Measure the level of the tones on your console's meter, though. If from a digital console output into your analog machine you start to wonder why you're making a tape anyway....  If you are mixing in a digital console, then send both the files and your tape. If from digital, then decide what digital level will become 0 VU and use that as your test tone level.

If you have a loud percussive hit followed by silence somewhere that might develop printthrough, it's great to send a digital file as well which we might splice in sometime. Also useful for at tails of tunes to have a digital mix. There are usually ways around that, so don't worry if you don't.

--- Start with 1K, then 10K, then 15K, 20K, 100, 50. If you have the tape and the time, then add 5K, 700, 250, and a sweep at 2 seconds per Hz from 20 Hz to 500 Hz. I know that takes a lot of tape, hell, put it on a separate reel.  

Include notes on format, e.g. :   2-Track Stereo, 15 IPS, NAB, +3 dB ref 200 nW/M. Tails out.  Tones on reel 3 at tail (you don't have to put them there, just tell us where they are!).

Include bumper at head and tail, include head leader and tail leader to the music, but don't cut it too tight! An inch before the downbeat is a good idea... 20 years later you'll thank me for that. Leader between tunes is nice, too. Again, not too tight, you're not leadering it for spacing on the record, you're leadering it for identification.

Anything else I left off? Enjoy your mix!

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

redfro

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 10:59:56 AM »

bobkatz wrote on Fri, 30 December 2005 17:08

Forgive me for my ignorance. I understand the need for channel ID, but what do you mean by slated?

Quote:

Include bumper at head and tail, include head leader and tail leader to the music, but don't cut it too tight! An inch before the downbeat is a good idea...

Again, I'm a dumb-ass. What do you mean?

Quote:

Thanks! I'm really digging what going to tape is doing for my mixes. Now all I've got to do is get 2 16 track 2" machines for tracking and I'm in business...
Wes Pitzer
WCS Media

bobkatz

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 01:45:57 PM »

redfro wrote on Sat, 31 December 2005 10:59

bobkatz wrote on Fri, 30 December 2005 17:08

Forgive me for my ignorance. I understand the need for channel ID, but what do you mean by slated?

A verbal identication ("This is the left channel") is helpful. I rarely see it, though. Or just feed a tone to the left channel briefly and mark it on the tape box. I think of this as much for archival purposes.

Quote:

Quote:

Include bumper at head and tail, include head leader and tail leader to the music, but don't cut it too tight! An inch before the downbeat is a good idea...

Again, I'm a dumb-ass. What do you mean?

I'm just using an old-fashioned term we used to use in New York. By "bumper" I mean some layers of audio tape should be on the outside. No one likes to have paper leader on the outside (either end) of a reel.

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks! I'm really digging what going to tape is doing for my mixes. Now all I've got to do is get 2 16 track 2" machines for tracking and I'm in business...

Sometimes you can have "too much tape" in a recording; e.g. record to Pro Tools, mix to 1/2", or vice versal. But the combination of a well-aligned 16 track 2" coupled with a 1/2" 2-track can sound great in the right hands.

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

bblackwood

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 01:49:51 PM »

bobkatz wrote

Sometimes you can have "too much tape" in a recording; e.g. record to Pro Tools, mix to 1/2", or vice versal. But the combination of a well-aligned 16 track 2" coupled with a 1/2" 2-track can sound great in the right hands.

Nah, you just have someone who doesn't know how to use it. When properly used, tape isn't an 'effect' and you can't get too much of it, imo.

As for the original post, tones at 1kHz, 10kHz, and 100Hz are the bare minimum. I'd add 16kHz and 50Hz as well for best alignment. Make sure you leader and properly label and you're golden...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 01:58:28 PM »

Slating is a spoken identification recorded at the beginning of each take. I'll let somebody else define "take."

Sarusan

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2005, 02:42:48 PM »

I always print 50 and 100hz.  For the alignment, I usually find a comprimise between the two.  If 50 is at 0VU, 100 hz is too low.  If 100 is at 0VU then 50 is too high.  Usually it winds up being +1/4 db and -1/4 db.  I write whatever it came to on the box for reference.

Steven

redfro

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2005, 03:35:39 PM »

Bob Olhsson wrote on Sat, 31 December 2005 12:58

Slating is a spoken identification recorded at the beginning of each take. I'll let somebody else define "take."

I think I got "take". My moron-ity does have it's boundaries...
Wes Pitzer
WCS Media

Mark Wilder

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 05:55:14 PM »

For channel identification, Decca used a system of 3 beeps left and 4 beeps right (a vague memory).  I print the left channel for 10 seconds, then both (at 1K) for identification.

Multiple tones in the LF plus a sweep is nice.  this way you can see the bump and adjust if you'd like.  Also, 10K and 16K is a must.  With the A820's you can flatten the 16K against the 10K (2 different adjustments) or...not flatten...

And...I like to put down 440hz.  Just to make sure it's on speed.

And, and...Don't go short on the tone lengths. Nothing gets under my bonnet like 5 seconds of each tone which I have to rewind 20 times to get a good alignment.

Enjoy it.
Mark Wilder
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 19 queries.