R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitor Levels  (Read 8958 times)

TotalSonic

Re: Monitor Levels
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 01:39:02 AM »

I tend to monitor on the louder side of things (mid to upper 80's) while making processing decisions, and then give my ears a break from this during captures and interspersed periods of monitoring lower than the usual as well.  But got to say hip-hop is not made to be played at a "calibrated" level - it's made to be seriously cranked up - and the producer or artist wanting to be able to hear it at above an 83dB spl level for at least some point in an attended session makes perfect sense to me. 

I'd say one requirement for any "mastering grade" monitoring system dealing with more aggressive and club oriented genres is that it should be capable of handling "club play" levels without any break up and without any threat of blowing a driver.  If you need to prevent your perspective from being thrown or from getting instant ear fatigue then I agree you should just leave the room during the time your clients are listening at the higher levels, and I'd say that truly dangerous to the ear levels should not be allowed to be played to the clients either.  But to me if you're dealing with producers who truly want to hear how things will sound at levels that are likely to be used in both club play and by a good percentage of their targeted end listeners, then it's worthwhile to make at least a small effort to accommodate them.

(I love working on hip-hop btw.)

Best regards,
Steve Berson

lowland

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2011, 02:19:00 AM »

That looks identical to the one I have here, though with a different brand/logo

Anyhow, I use slow mode and C weighted.

Thanks Peter.
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
www.lowlandmasters.com

SafeandSoundMastering

• Real Full Name: Barry Gardner
  • My analogue rack
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 05:31:03 AM »

Yes C and slow is good average levels and right frequency range (I had to look in the manual) I only used it when I was doing some room tests a long while back so could not remember off my headtop.
Barry Gardner
SafeandSound Mastering UK based online mastering studio.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 24 queries.