R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: How must I mixdown to send it to mastering??  (Read 17114 times)

Bob Olhsson

Re: How must I mixdown to send it to mastering??
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2006, 05:54:55 PM »

Ronny wrote on Mon, 02 January 2006 11:47

While we are talking about float, I'm wondering how important it is to not go over -0dbFS, once you are in float. There is no clipping until the DAC with normal processing, so theoretically as long as you attenuate the final processed signal to not output at the DAC above -0dBFs, it shouldn't degrade the signal if you are a dB or two over at a processors output, or should it?
Depends on the signal processing. Because something is float in and out doesn't mean it's float internally. Just as with analog gear, testing a signal path with tones is a really good idea before jumping to any conclusions about gain structure.

dcollins

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2006, 12:27:44 AM »

Ronny wrote on Mon, 02 January 2006 09:39

Absolutely not, trajectory has to do with path and nothing to do with time.

But grasshopper, there is no path without time!  

(Zen hot dog vendor joke here)

Quote:

IMHO, pan trajectory is a correct term to describe the path of the sound anywhere across the stereo or surround image.

You can call it a "deli sandwich" too, but a static pan-pot
doesn't have a trajectory! It only has amplitude, just one leetle value......

I admit to being a stickler for the correct terms, and do wince at the "Db," "1Khz," "Cd mastering," "annie," etc...

DC

dcollins

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2006, 12:31:57 AM »

Bob Olhsson wrote on Mon, 02 January 2006 14:54

Depends on the signal processing. Because something is float in and out doesn't mean it's float internally. Just as with analog gear, testing a signal path with tones is a really good idea before jumping to any conclusions about gain structure.

Since there seem to be more problems at the top of the scale than the bottom, why not just run low digital levels?

DC

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2006, 02:10:42 AM »

dcollins wrote on Mon, 02 January 2006 23:31

Since there seem to be more problems at the top of the scale than the bottom, why not just run low digital levels?
Doesn't there always need to be some kind of an esoteric mystique? Maybe the floating point code ought to have been written with green ink to reduce jitter.

Ronny

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2006, 02:19:26 AM »

dcollins wrote on Tue, 03 January 2006 00:27

Ronny wrote on Mon, 02 January 2006 09:39

Absolutely not, trajectory has to do with path and nothing to do with time.

But grasshopper, there is no path without time!  

(Zen hot dog vendor joke here)

Quote:

IMHO, pan trajectory is a correct term to describe the path of the sound anywhere across the stereo or surround image.

You can call it a "deli sandwich" too, but a static pan-pot
doesn't have a trajectory! It only has amplitude, just one leetle value......

I admit to being a stickler for the correct terms, and do wince at the "Db," "1Khz," "Cd mastering," "annie," etc...

DC

Why don't you write a book and get everyone to say pan track 2 left to -2.38 amplitude.

------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

dcollins

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2006, 02:40:38 AM »

Ronny wrote on Mon, 02 January 2006 23:19

Why don't you write a book and get everyone to say pan track 2 left to -2.38 amplitude.

Are you getting any of this?

DC

Ronny

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2006, 05:03:35 AM »

dcollins wrote on Tue, 03 January 2006 02:40

Ronny wrote on Mon, 02 January 2006 23:19

Are you getting any of this?

DC

What, that pan is time or that pan is amplitude? I think most people on this forum know a pan pot works, DC. Trajectory merely means path and in the sense that authors and designers use it, it's typically location of an instrument in the stereo or surround field. Time is not significantly relavent as that depends on the distance of the speakers to the listener. Path is relative to amplitude in this context, trajectory is path. It's much easier to describe pan settings as to location, than it is to amplitude. We all know that when you vary the amplitude of the signal between two speakers, the ghost image shifts, but how many people do you know that say set X amplitude on the L speaker and Y amplitude on the R speaker?  
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

bblackwood

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2006, 09:20:21 AM »

Ronny wrote on Tue, 03 January 2006 04:03

Trajectory merely means path and in the sense that authors and designers use it, it's typically location of an instrument in the stereo or surround field. Time is not significantly relavent as that depends on the distance of the speakers to the listener. Path is relative to amplitude in this context, trajectory is path. It's much easier to describe pan settings as to location, than it is to amplitude. We all know that when you vary the amplitude of the signal between two speakers, the ghost image shifts, but how many people do you know that say set X amplitude on the L speaker and Y amplitude on the R speaker?  

It's a discussion of semantics. DC's point is that trajectory is simply the wrong term to use here, and it's a vaild point. It might sound good but it's the incorrect use of the word, that's all...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

jfrigo

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2006, 01:46:05 PM »

It may seem a silly thing to discuss but...

Trajectory is probably not the best way to describe panning. Trajectory indeed is a path whereby the location of a thing changes with time. It's moving. The trajectory of sound does not change with the panpot. The speakers have certain dispersion characteristics that can vary with frequency and amplitude, but the sound propagates from them in the same way no matter where the panpot. They don't all of a sudden deflect the soundwave in a different direction or at a different speed (hey, let's have a refraction pot!). What happens is that the sound in one side or the other is louder, but the trajectory of the soundwave doesn't really change.

OK, semantics aside, probably the easiest way to get the idea across is to use the analogy of a clock. That's easy to understand and in widespread use, as in, "pan the acoustic guitars to 2 and 10 o'clock." Some also use degrees to describe it. This makes sense since the degrees on a circle also are analogous to the rotary panpot.

I'm not trying to get on your case Ronny, just having a light-hearted, geeky discussion with my mastering buddies on the 'net, yourself incuded.

As for the topic of the thread, rnicklaus had it pretty well summed up on the first page. Mix it how you like it to sound, don't limit for level, leave a little room, send it at the the same (hopefully high) resolution you mixed it etc. These are pretty common-sense guidelines that are easy to follow and should yield good results.

jfrigo

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2006, 01:48:13 PM »

Bob Olhsson wrote on Mon, 02 January 2006 23:10

Doesn't there always need to be some kind of an esoteric mystique? Maybe the floating point code ought to have been written with green ink to reduce jitter.

I made the background of my computer desktop green so my DAW would sound better. I also got the shatki stone plug-in.

Ronny

« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2006, 05:41:32 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Tue, 03 January 2006 09:20

Ronny wrote on Tue, 03 January 2006 04:03

Trajectory merely means path and in the sense that authors and designers use it, it's typically location of an instrument in the stereo or surround field. Time is not significantly relavent as that depends on the distance of the speakers to the listener. Path is relative to amplitude in this context, trajectory is path. It's much easier to describe pan settings as to location, than it is to amplitude. We all know that when you vary the amplitude of the signal between two speakers, the ghost image shifts, but how many people do you know that say set X amplitude on the L speaker and Y amplitude on the R speaker?  

It's a discussion of semantics. DC's point is that trajectory is simply the wrong term to use here, and it's a vaild point. It might sound good but it's the incorrect use of the word, that's all...

Well gee Brad, I asked what the proper use of the term may be and got no answer other than an inscinuation that I don't get it. Can you come up with a more correct term to desribe where an instrument is panned in the mix? Everyone I know understands what it means when a manufacturer or designer speaks in terms of pan trajectory including DC. The important thing is that the communication is understood, not the terms, as we have as many terms for things as we do cultures and countries, in all walks of life.