R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: In the spirit of "tracking" - setting up for drums  (Read 5227 times)

pg666

Re: In the spirit of "tracking" - setting up for drums
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2006, 12:40:49 PM »

Quote:

..but at 10:00AM, they're ready to rock...

there's something about this sentence that's just not working for me..

hehe

j.hall

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2006, 01:36:39 PM »

color me a slow-poke.  i just like to take my time and get exactly what i'm going for

i print compression, EQ, whatever i want.  i'd prefer to take my time and get exactly the right thing and not a slightly over EQ'd sound that screws me in the mix.

i also like to find out if a different mic would do the job better.  i take pictures (camera phones and digital cameras are awesome) i take notes and we move around knowing we can come back to something we previously liked.

i don't think drums are something you can standardize.  when doing jingles and the like you have to be fast and i can see where dave might need to have a standard setup to get rolling quickly.  but honestly, "house drum kits" and "standard setups" are not things i've ever used or plan to use in my career.

Fibes

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2006, 02:53:09 PM »

j.hall wrote on Wed, 04 January 2006 13:36

when doing jingles and the like you have to be fast and i can see where dave might need to have a standard setup to get rolling quickly.  but honestly, "house drum kits" and "standard setups" are not things i've ever used or plan to use in my career.

J.

Last night wasn't a standard setup for me but it was the studio kit and mics I've used before. The kit used to belong to the drummer so in a way that was a reunion. She played blues and Jazz for years at the best stops in Chi town and even remarked how well i tuned the drums for a measly guitarist.

It was a rare and bizarre event but the omnis did wonders for the brushes and the brass sounded like it was dancing in the air.

The fact that no eq was also an anomoly and i'm sure i'll have to get some of the meat out of the snare brushes for the final mix but I'd rather have it than not.

BTW the OHs are the sound and may be ALL of it.
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

j.hall

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2006, 04:20:38 PM »

i'm not faulting you kevin........that would be a first....

i'm just speaking my mind, when have i ever done differently?

Dave Martin

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2006, 08:10:41 AM »

And to be fair,  it's 6:55 AM as I type this, and I'm off to the studio in about 10 minutes for the 10:00AM session. Drums aren't set up, mics are in the closet, and some of the stands I'll need in in my garage (must remember stands). There shouldn't be any problems, but the reason taht I'm gonna be there at 7:00 instead of 8:00 is to make sure that there aren't. Musicians cost money, so the quicker I can have them recording, the better for everyone.

starscream2010

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2006, 09:45:12 AM »

Dave Martin wrote on Fri, 06 January 2006 07:10

it's 6:55 AM as I type this

No one should be typing anything at 6:55am, it's entirely too early to be THAT awake.
"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax... "

Nick Evans

www.nickolusevans.com

Fibes

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2006, 09:59:01 AM »

j.hall wrote on Wed, 04 January 2006 16:20

i'm not faulting you kevin........that would be a first....

i'm just speaking my mind, when have i ever done differently?

Same here. I wasn't being defensive, just descriptive.

The drums last night were kicking and had a ton more eq and compression. Same drum kit but theoretically last night it was Mars Volta as opposed to Bonnie Raitt.

I had to move the OHs down, swap the snare, move the kik mic and add a tom. The tuning is what took the time.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

pg666

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2006, 10:07:27 AM »

i played drums on a session once where everything got started at 10am. it was just awful; i was making mistakes all over the place, the studio was still really cold so the drums kept going out of tune, and the overall energy level was just really low. it took about twice as long as normal to get passable (not great) takes. we took home the reference cds and realized a few of the songs were too fast and needed redone.

so we redo the session a few weeks later and start at 12:30-1 ish. knock out the songs in 1 take and everyones happy.

sleep is very important!!

j.hall

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2006, 10:14:00 AM »

when i cut records we have a strict 10am start time, and we wrap each day at 8pm.  so thats a 10 hour day, and every one gets to go home and actually have an evening.

so what this really means is:

every one (including me, i don't get there early after the first set up day) files into the studio at 10am.  we talk for a bit while i get a reel of tape up and things ready to go.  the band is powering up tube amps, tuning up guitars, changing strings, tuning drums....whatever.  we'll have a cup of coffee and a quick chat about the days events and goals, and off we go.  this all puts us recording around 11am.  we wrap up quickly around 8pm and do it all over again the next day.

we take one break for lunch around 2 or 3.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 22 queries.