R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: The most versatile analog EQ & Compressor?  (Read 29640 times)

compasspnt

Re: The most versatile analog EQ & Compressor?
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2006, 12:06:24 AM »

Rich,

Be careful about permanently chaining gear together and just hitting bypass on what you don't want.  Some gear has hardwire bypass, and some doesn't.  Also, you want to keep your path as short and uncomplicated as possible.

I like to re-patch with high quality short XLR I/O cables every time, depending on what's needed.  It's not that much trouble, and makes for the very best possible connection.

Terry

Ivo

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2006, 06:14:11 AM »

jfrigo wrote on Fri, 30 December 2005 19:16

On the subject of NSEQ-2 vs. Ibis, the NSEQ-2 was my first choice among many I tried. I use it on nearly every session and have never been disappointed. You can put a different set of tubes in the NSEQ-2 if you want some more flexibility in sound. The Ibis was OK, but not as exciting as I had hoped, and a little odd ergonomically. That's just my take on the subject.

Do you think there is any significant difference between standalone NSEQ-2 and NSEQ on Origins ? I have a matched pair of STT-1 with special extra input inserts for the EQ/comp section so I can use EQ/comp independently on the preamp section.
Ivo

VELVET MASTERING
www.velvetmastering.com

SAVITA MUSIC
www.savita.cz

compasspnt

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2006, 02:38:48 PM »

By the way, our Lucas genius technician Frank HATES TT's.  He would make the PATCH BAYs with XLR's if we'd let him!  Actually I agree in principal, but of course in the tracking and mixing studios, this is impractical.  But in mastering it's all XLR.

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2006, 03:28:12 PM »

I thought everybody hated TTs except for console manufacturers...

RichR

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2006, 01:57:37 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Sun, 01 January 2006 14:38

By the way, our Lucas genius technician Frank HATES TT's.  He would make the PATCH BAYs with XLR's if we'd let him!  Actually I agree in principal, but of course in the tracking and mixing studios, this is impractical.  But in mastering it's all XLR.

Do you mean that you have patchbays with XLR connectors and using XLR patching cables?
Lata!

Richard R.

compasspnt

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2006, 04:24:22 PM »

RichR wrote on Mon, 02 January 2006 13:57

Do you mean that you have patchbays with XLR connectors and using XLR patching cables?

Well, I have indeed done that before, but in this case I meant just patching actual pieces of gear together as needed.

jasonward2000

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2006, 04:57:58 PM »

Hi,
At this risk of helping this thread veer off topic...
What about a small xlr patchbay with no normalling or anything, just simple hard patches but with all connectors out in front of you with short runs? I am contemplating this for a new installation and would love to hear if anyone else uses this scenario.
best,
Jason Ward

FredForssell

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2006, 06:09:23 PM »

For anyone interested...

I am now making a replacement main board for the n*eq-2.  It is solid state only and has the following features...

1- balanced in or single-ended can now be selected by using the TT switch (hey the tubes are gone... gotta do something with that switch)

2- Hi/Lo ranges can be jumper selected for +/-18, +/-12, +/-9, +/- 6 dB ranges.

3- Uses my latest JFET-993 discrete opamp on plug-in sockets so you can swap opamps if you like, but I think most people will like the sound of the JFET-993 over my older JFET design.

4- Has better power supply bypassing, which does make a sonic difference.

5- Doesn't run as hot (no tubes).

etc, etc.

To install the new board you unsolder the input and output wires at the XLRs, unplug all the wiring that is can be unplugged and remove the original main pcb.  Drop in the new one, plug the cables back in, solder the input and output cables to the XLRs, and you're good to go. The original board is untouch and can be reinstalled quickly...if you want to.

I'm also working on a replacement power supply board (which actually helps a bit sonically), and new filter boards, and a JFET only replacement main board for the TCL-2.  But those are a ways off yet.

If anyone is interested in this please know that I am going out on tour for a month starting Jan 5, so I won't be in contact during that time.

Cheers,
Fred Forssell

Fred Forssell

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2006, 07:38:23 PM »

FredForssell wrote on Mon, 02 January 2006 17:09

For anyone interested...

I am now making a replacement main board for the n*eq-2.  It is solid state only and has the following features...

Hey Fred, Thanks for designing such a great EQ, I use mine everyday!

Would it be OK to ask how much is the new replacement main board?

cheers
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

bobkatz

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2006, 10:19:06 PM »

Great to see you on this board, Fred! My NSEQ-2 has the new Forsell opamps... It's EVEN more transparent than the old one, and more "robust". I don't know how the two adjectives fit in the same sentence, I'm just trying to report how it sounds.

I also recommend changing the scale of the pots in the "10 dB" position so it is even less; I'm guessing I have less than a dB per "click step" now. It's all by ear anyway. The original NSEQ-2 had too coarse of a change per detent to my tastes.

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

evanh75

« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2006, 04:43:47 AM »

FredForssell wrote on Mon, 02 January 2006 18:09

For anyone interested...

1- balanced in or single-ended can now be selected by using the TT switch (hey the tubes are gone... gotta do something with that switch)

2- Hi/Lo ranges can be jumper selected for +/-18, +/-12, +/-9, +/- 6 dB ranges.

3- Uses my latest JFET-993 discrete opamp on plug-in sockets so you can swap opamps if you like, but I think most people will like the sound of the JFET-993 over my older JFET design.

4- Has better power supply bypassing, which does make a sonic difference.

5- Doesn't run as hot (no tubes).

etc, etc.

To install the new board you unsolder the input and output wires at the XLRs, unplug all the wiring that is can be unplugged and remove the original main pcb.  Drop in the new one, plug the cables back in, solder the input and output cables to the XLRs, and you're good to go. The original board is untouch and can be reinstalled quickly...if you want to.

I'm also working on a replacement power supply board (which actually helps a bit sonically), and new filter boards, and a JFET only replacement main board for the TCL-2.  But those are a ways off yet.

If anyone is interested in this please know that I am going out on tour for a month starting Jan 5, so I won't be in contact during that time.

Cheers,
Fred Forssell

Is there anything for STT-1?

Thank you...

T...
Kevin Joo

Soundpix Production

Gold

« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2006, 11:10:10 AM »

bobkatz wrote on Fri, 30 December 2005 11:00

I hate the performance of typical TRS patchbays. If I get any more analog gear I'm going to have to get Crispin's analog patchbay.
BK

I've had a long frame patchbay in service in a mastering situation for 10 years with no problems. The patch cables are nickle coated and they have never been cleaned! There has never been even a hint of noise. Good enough for me. I use an xlr patch bay at Brooklynphono though.
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

On the silk road, looking for uranium.

FredForssell

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2006, 04:06:22 PM »

The main board sells for $835 plus shipping cost.

I can do the installation for $100 plus shipping.

I'm not planning on doing a STT-1 upgrade at this point, just the eq and limiter.

As I said in my earlier email, I'm out on tour for a month starting Thursday, so I'll be out of touch during that time.

Cheers,

Fred Forssell
Fred Forssell

Gold

« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2006, 07:19:56 PM »

jasonward2000 wrote on Mon, 02 January 2006 16:57

Hi,
I am contemplating this for a new installation and would love to hear if anyone else uses this scenario.

Yes, this is what I do. I keep meaning to move everything over to 5 pin XLR's for stereo patches but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

On the silk road, looking for uranium.

jfrigo

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2006, 12:28:16 AM »

FredForssell wrote on Tue, 03 January 2006 13:06

The main board sells for $835 plus shipping cost.

I can do the installation for $100 plus shipping.

I'm not planning on doing a STT-1 upgrade at this point, just the eq and limiter.

As I said in my earlier email, I'm out on tour for a month starting Thursday, so I'll be out of touch during that time.

Cheers,

Fred Forssell

Hi Fred,

You probably know my MO by now. I always beg you to build that mastering EQ you've been thinking about for so long. I still love my NSEQ-2 and they may have to bury me with it, unless of course you give me something new to be addicted to!

Thanks for the continued development, and I wish you good travelling.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 20 queries.