R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: The most versatile analog EQ & Compressor?  (Read 22579 times)

Andy Krehm

Re: The most versatile analog EQ & Compressor?
« Reply #90 on: March 10, 2006, 09:44:45 am »

Samc wrote on Fri, 10 March 2006 03:03

Thanks for the clarification Bob, I have a "stereo" EQ that a "competent designer" put a lot of extra effort into.  He covered all the points you listed and then some.  

It has outperformed every dual unit put next to it on the test bench, it sounds wonderful, and it is actually less expensive than some of the units talked about in this thread.  

Alas! It is certainly not as versatile (as a dual unit) as you and some others have pointed out, but when you need to execute the same process on both the left and right channels accurately, it's killer

Hey Sam, how come you are not sharing your secret with us! What's the brand and model?

Meanwhile, as an ME who is actively seeking to purchase a precision analog EQ, I have found one that will meet your standards (true stereo) and our standards (dual mono) via a link mode.

It is......the SPL PQ mastering equalizer. It retails at about 13,000. US but features motorized, recallable faders. The recording version is cheaper but doesn't have stepped controls, so that's out.

Even though its much higher than my original budget, I would love to try one. Unfortunately, they build these babies custom and so my dealer would have to buy one, then they would build it and if I didn't like it, they would take it back.

This would be a lengthy process and I have a demo Maselec MEA-2 sitting in my rack for $8,000. which sounds very good but if I don't buy, I'll have to return it soon. If I get one at a later time, the price goes up.

What a dilemma!

Andy,

Silverbirch Productions

Samc

« Reply #91 on: March 11, 2006, 04:56:04 pm »

Andy Krehm wrote on Fri, 10 March 2006 14:44

Hey Sam, how come you are not sharing your secret with us! What's the brand and model?

It's the ADT W796 (http://www.adt-audio.com/UsProducts/V700/V700ModMastEq.html) from their V700 range, its a 4-band parametric unit with a bypass switch for each band.  In fact what I have is an EQ system, with the W796 I also have the W794 niveau filter and elliptical EQ, the W792 HPF, LPF and Notch filter, plus the U781 dynamic EQ.  These are all stereo units, but I also have two W785 5-band mono EQ's.

I've never heard the SPL unit but the Maselec is a nice sounding unit, I may have bought either that or a GML had I not discovered the ADT line.
Sam Clayton

Andy Krehm

« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2006, 06:08:58 pm »

Samc wrote on Sat, 11 March 2006 16:56

Andy Krehm wrote on Fri, 10 March 2006 14:44

It's the ADT W796 (http://www.adt-audio.com/UsProducts/V700/V700ModMastEq.html) from their V700 range, its a 4-band parametric unit with a bypass switch for each band.  In fact what I have is an EQ system, with the W796 I also have the W794 niveau filter and elliptical EQ, the W792 HPF, LPF and Notch filter, plus the U781 dynamic EQ.  These are all stereo units, but I also have two W785 5-band mono EQ's.

I've never heard the SPL unit but the Maselec is a nice sounding unit, I may have bought either that or a GML had I not discovered the ADT line.

Looks like they make some cool gear.

Believe me, if my local music dealer in Toronto carried this line, I'd definitely try the mastering equalizer. Unfortunately, no chance of that!

Andy,

Silverbirch Productions

carlsaff

« Reply #93 on: March 11, 2006, 06:13:54 pm »

That ADT stuff looks very interesting. Is there a US dealer?

bblackwood

« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2006, 06:36:00 pm »

Call Brad Lunde @ TransAudio Group - 702-365-5155 - they do ADT...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #95 on: March 11, 2006, 10:05:45 pm »

carlsaff wrote on Sat, 11 March 2006 17:13

Definitely reminds me of the "Woman" audio device.
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

bblackwood

« Reply #96 on: March 11, 2006, 10:51:14 pm »

Jerry Tubb wrote on Sat, 11 March 2006 21:05

carlsaff wrote on Sat, 11 March 2006 17:13

Definitely reminds me of the "Woman" audio device.

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/33777/24/?SQ=64 0c6b483516aa53ccb282447e697e12#msg_33777
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up