R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: The most versatile analog EQ & Compressor?  (Read 29766 times)

carlsaff

Re: The most versatile analog EQ & Compressor?
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2006, 11:45:29 PM »

smorgdonkey wrote on Fri, 03 March 2006 21:51

This is a very interesting thread. No hijack intended but for someone who hasn't got $6000.00 to spend on that beautiful Millenia NSEQ-2...are there any software EQ's and compressors that actually pass the scrutiny of the board members' ears here?

I don't think the NSEQ-2 is *that* much... I've seen them for closer to just over $2000.

As far as software EQs... I'm currently working entirely in the plugin realm, so I know a bit about this. There are many good choices these days. I'm not going to say that these are as good as hardware, only that they all worth investigating. If you can get good work done with them, they are good! Simple as that.

The following are all worth checking out:

* Voxengo HarmoniEQ/CurveEQ/GlissEQ
* UAD Precision EQ/Pultec Pro
* Algorithmix Red/Orange
* TriToneDigital Hydratone (and their upcoming AngleTone has many people's interest piqued)
* Refined Audiometrics Laboratory PLParEQ
* WWAYM NWEQ Pro

Bob Boyd

« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2006, 12:08:54 AM »

Andy Krehm wrote on Thu, 02 March 2006 15:06

Bob Boyd wrote on Mon, 13 February 2006 16:00

You'll have to listen to decide.  For what it's worth, I chose the Maselec (notice spelling) MEA-2 over the Millennia.  While obviously a great box, I felt like whatever the NSEQ-2 offered, I had pretty well covered elsewhere.  It looks like we have some similar gear Andy.  I would encourage you to check the MEA-2.  You'll also find easier to recall.

Hi Bob:

I just spent 2 days with my Maselec demo unit and I really like it. It does have a subtle colour but pleasant, and doesn't sound anything like my other analog or digital equalizers. It is also easy to use.

What I don't like are the .5 db steps and the inability to switch off each band. The latter would be useful for instant AB and to feel secure that at "0", it is really out of the loop. Does anyone know if "0" is a true bypass?

As for the steps, I do realize that this is a "traditional" design but I've never owned a eq with steps and did find that a couple of times it was too much or too little. I routinely use smaller increments with my Weiss, Massive Passive, MDW, etc.

Anyway, I'm almost sold except I still have dreams of trying that SPL monster, just in case it blows me away!

Thanks for the Maselec recommendation. Its an excellent unit.

Andy

Silverbirch Productions

Glad you got to try one out.  I'm guessing that "0" doesn't serve as a band bypass.  I agree with you that I wish each band was able to be switched out - one thing I like about the GML 9500.  Functionally, because it makes comparisons quick; sonically, because it's out of the path.

I'm not aware of a stepped analog EQ that allows smaller than .5dB increments.

I haven't heard the SPL, but the longer I own my MEA-2, the more I appreciate it.
Bob Boyd
ambientdigital, Houston

http://ambientdigital.com
http://myspace.com/ambientdigital

Twitter: @bobboyd

Look, I know it's mean.  But sometimes the end justifies the mean.

Bob Boyd

« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2006, 12:26:54 AM »

Quote:

As far as software EQs... I'm currently working entirely in the plugin realm, so I know a bit about this. There are many good choices these days. I'm not going to say that these are as good as hardware, only that they all worth investigating. If you can get good work done with them, they are good! Simple as that.

When I got into mastering, it was in the early 90's and I was all "in the box" too.  The software available now is FAR more powerful and it's true you can get some great results from some of these tools.  As your business grows, I would recommend trying to integrate some high end analog (start with EQ) into the stuff you already know works for you.  It's this combination that will give you and your clients "flavor" options.

The most powerful systems have the benefits of both with an experienced engineer at the helm.  You'll get some "attitude" from your analog gear and have the benefits of being able to make corrective moves in the digital domain.

With the exception of a few Weiss upgrades, the majority of my purchases have been analog processing as my business grew.

When I started Ambient "Digital", I had no idea how much analog was in my future.
Bob Boyd
ambientdigital, Houston

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2006, 01:46:25 AM »

Bob Boyd wrote on Fri, 03 March 2006 23:26

When I started Ambient "Digital", I had no idea how much analog was in my future.

ditto Bob... interesting how back then ('80s thru early '90s) digital was the buzzword, with the now antiquated DDD designation, etc. Since then I've also been back peddling to add as much high end analog gear as possible.

Best of both worlds seems to hold the key:

Digital for surgical accuracy & work flow flexibility...

Analog for Color, Character, and Musicality.

Props
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

bblackwood

« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2006, 07:23:55 AM »

Quote:

What I don't like are the .5 db steps and the inability to switch off each band. The latter would be useful for instant AB and to feel secure that at "0", it is really out of the loop. Does anyone know if "0" is a true bypass?

I haven't looked inside one, but I imagine the '0' on the boost/cut is the switch making connection flat, iow the only sound will be the sound of the circuit with no boost or cut. Having exact settings is one of the great benefits to switches over pots.

I am thrilled none of my EQs have a bypass for each band - I honestly can't think of something I'd use less (except maybe the '+1 step' buttons on the Ibis).
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

carlsaff

« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2006, 07:54:38 AM »

Bob Boyd wrote on Fri, 03 March 2006 23:26

As your business grows, I would recommend trying to integrate some high end analog (start with EQ) into the stuff you already know works for you.  It's this combination that will give you and your clients "flavor" options.

Believe me, Bob, I am having trouble not pulling the trigger on financing to go that route sooner than later! But mine is a very small business, and I'd rather spend money I have than go further into debt at this time. Fortunately, I'm busy, so the money will be there soon.

Most of my clients are indie bands who track religiously to analog tape and frequently release to vinyl. Not having an analog chain is costing me some business, for certain, just as not having an analog 2-track was costing me jobs til I got my JH-110 last year.

I fully intend to have at least 2 or 3 pieces of outboard by year's end. Probably an STC-8, an NSEQ 2, and maybe a Massive Passive or Vari-Mu.

Bob Boyd

« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2006, 10:39:27 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Sat, 04 March 2006 06:23

I am thrilled none of my EQs have a bypass for each band - I honestly can't think of something I'd use less (except maybe the '+1 step' buttons on the Ibis).

I use them on the 9500 every time I use it.  To be fair, it's more than a band bypass switch.  It's also a gain multiplier.  It's a 3 position switch with the top being "1x", the middle "bypass", and the bottom position "2x".
Bob Boyd
ambientdigital, Houston

Bob Boyd

« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2006, 10:44:13 AM »

carlsaff wrote on Sat, 04 March 2006 06:54

I fully intend to have at least 2 or 3 pieces of outboard by year's end. Probably an STC-8, an NSEQ 2, and maybe a Massive Passive or Vari-Mu.

The Massive would be a great place to start.  It's not anything you've got in your plugs and it's very musical.  Sometimes I just go through it with no EQ.

On the other hand, I would suggest the STC-8 would give you more options and control than the Vari-Mu.  I ended up selling my Vari-Mu.  It just made the sound too soft for me at the end of the day.  Loved the timing.  Just wish I could have turned the color off sometimes.

Just my opinion...
Bob Boyd
ambientdigital, Houston

carlsaff

« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2006, 11:43:41 AM »

Makes a lot of sense, Bob. I need to remember that the STC-8 has plenty of color, despite not being a tube device.

TotalSonic

« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2006, 01:27:24 PM »

Bob Boyd wrote on Sat, 04 March 2006 15:39

bblackwood wrote on Sat, 04 March 2006 06:23

I use them on the 9500 every time I use it.  To be fair, it's more than a band bypass switch.  It's also a gain multiplier.  It's a 3 position switch with the top being "1x", the middle "bypass", and the bottom position "2x".

Yeah - both my Medici and Filteks have bypasses for each band and I find it extremely valuable for quick "selective" a/b's - I use this function nearly every session in fact.  I certainly can't see a reason to not have them on an eq.

Speaking of versatility - no one has mentioned the Medici yet - but if you can find one in good shape they offer a number of optional colors (the ubiquitous "sheen" & "warm" - renamed "glow" on later designs) and can still work great for either things wehre you need something more transparent or in places where you need something surgical.   You can really boost the mids on it with things still staying smooth like no other eq I've tried.  I think it's probably Neve's most underated design in fact.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

bobkatz

« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2006, 05:54:04 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Sat, 04 March 2006 07:23

Not to be a contrarian, but I like the abilty to bypass a band at a time. It helps to keep one honest and make sure that last change really was important and isn't making things worse. The more complex the EQ I assemble, the more important the individual band bypass is to me, just as a convenient check mechanism. Is it that important? Can I live without it?  Of course....

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Andy Krehm

« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2006, 10:29:48 PM »

smorgdonkey wrote on Fri, 03 March 2006 22:51

This is a very interesting thread. No hijack intended but for someone who hasn't got $6000.00 to spend on that beautiful Millenia NSEQ-2...are there any software EQ's and compressors that actually pass the scrutiny of the board members' ears here?

I highly recommend the Massenburg Design Works High-Res Parametric EQ  Plug-in if it's available for your format.

It's good for both corrective and wide-band equalizing and sounds reasonably neutral. The eq interface is the best  I've used, for a plug-in. If I was stuck working only in my DAW, that's the plug-in I would choose.

I've never used a plug-in compressor that's come close to my out board digital and analog ones so can't help you there.

Andy,

Silverbirch  Productions

carlsaff

« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2006, 07:40:42 AM »

smorgdonkey wrote on Fri, 03 March 2006 21:51

I just realized I didn't offer you any compressor suggestions. There are very few that are worth considering, in my opinion. I've narrowed my usage to 4:

* Voxengo Marquis: A great all-around compressor that can be set up for mastering quite easily and has a sound unlike any other software compressor I've heard. Can be very snappy (ala an SSL), and it's ability to gel a mix is considerable. It's pacifying me while I wait for my STC-8M.

* Voxengo Polysquasher: Oh, Aleksey Vaneyev, master of product names! Despite the goofy name, this is one of the most transparent software compressors I've ever heard (when set up to sound that way). Usually, I want more color than this one provides, but when transparent glue is what you want, it can deliver.

* UAD LA2A: Although the LA2A is hardly well-known as a mastering compressor, this emulation is fairly authentic, and a couple db of reduction through this plug can give a dark smoothness I've not heard from other plugs.

* Voxengo Soniformer: I hesitate to call this a multiband compressor, even tho it is, because the architecture is so radically different than any other mb comp out there. I almost didn't want to mention it, because I use it really as another kind of dynamic EQ rather than as a compressor. But I use it fairly often. Wonderful stereo width features, too.

Now, limiters on the other hand... there are many, many good software limiters out there, but I probably don't need to tell you that. I use UAD's Precision Limiter 80% of the time, and Voxengo's Elephant 2 the rest... and sometimes I use a little reduction from both in series. They bring very different sounds and features to the task.

Samc

« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2006, 07:49:32 AM »

I've noticed that most everyone here uses a dual mono, analog EQ's as opposed to a true (one set of calibrated controls for both channels) stereo unit......Why may I ask?
Sam Clayton

smorgdonkey

« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2006, 11:45:30 AM »

A quick and sincere thanks to all suggestions!!!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 19 queries.