R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Is Metal The New "Protest Music"?  (Read 9572 times)

John Ivan

Re: Is Metal The New "Protest Music"?
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2006, 06:37:15 PM »

rwj1313 wrote on Fri, 06 January 2006 11:16

ivan40 wrote on Thu, 05 January 2006 17:37

rwj1313 wrote on Thu, 05 January 2006 18:09

I protest any musician that protest. I buy music to enjoy......to escape. The last thing I want is some bonehead on some award show wearing 10 t-shirts with different protest on them. I hate bands that do that shit and always have. If you want to change the social conscience get your ass out their and do some real work. When bands start protesting I protest by not purchasing their albums. I tell all the bands that I do FOH sound that if you talk politics on stage, I don't care if it's Republican, Democrat or Independent, I will turn your mic off so fast it will kill it for the remainder of the show. If you don't like it: protest and don't hire me! For me music should be about music. There are a lot of really good bands that I used to buy their albums but after the first protest song I was finished with them. As far as politics and music goes this country voted right down the middle in the last few elections. Why on earth would you want to automatically exclude half of the people that might buy your album. It just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I should have said it doesn't make cents.If
you are really serious about your cause make as much money as you can by keeping your trap shut and then donate half to your favorite cause. Now you've managed to take money from the very people you don't agree with and applied it to what you believe in.  

OK I'm done with my protest, <G>

Rick

Ya know what I can't stand?? FOH guys who show up at shows thinking they are the nights entertainment. Mix the fucking show already and,, stop with the constant protesting and crying. There are 200 guys standing in line to do your gig just as well as you and most of them are NOT going to play "producer"

Thanks,,,

Ivan..........................

I have never done FOH "for the money". Don't get me wrong the bands I work for do pay me but........for the amount of work I do, it's a drop in the bucket. It barely pays for the gasoline to pull my trailer to the gig. I run sound because I love to.....not because I get paid. When I run sound I don't want a fricking political rally. Growing up my anthem was not Sex, Drugs, Rock-N-Roll and Politics! I have many rules when doing FOH. Don't fricking use the horns on my monitors as ashtrays. The amp racks or monitor console are not cup holders for your beer so please don't put them on top of them or I might cut your nuts off! These are realistic examples. I want the show to be fun. When you talk politics it pisses off half the crowd and I'm not into that. I know I'm not "the nights entertainment".....the band is. None of the bands I work for have any problems with my "rules". As far as "There are 200 guys standing in line to do your gig just as well as you and most of them are NOT going to play "producer"" I don't know where you live but I know I have never heard 200 guys anywhere that can actually mix well. I'm also not saying I can mix well either. The bottom line is that the bands know my rules and they don't have to hire me and I am quite happy with that. Where is the "constant protesting and crying"?

Rick

It's cool dude, I was mostly kidding. :-},, I go on the road a lot and the Audio guys make a good Buck and the very very least of their worries is whether the "act" is Preaching. Other than, they would be very concerned that folks CAN hear every word, what ever those word's might be..

Ivan............

Ivan...............
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Lars Ekman

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2006, 08:26:42 PM »

Quote:

As I was recalling the old days in punk I became aware that the protest element is all but gone from this genre

Huh?

Are From Ashes Rise not political? Are The Observers not political? What about Damage Deposit?

There are a ton of political punk bands and the DIY punk scene is as thriving as ever. But those punk bands are not being televised. But neither were Black Flag, Minor Threat or Rudimentary Peni in their day.

Quote:

Same with Hip Hop. It was all about social change at first...

Many hip-hop artists still are all about that. Sage Francis, Non Phixion, Dead Prez, all the stuff coming out on Anticon and Def Jux Records. I don't think that political matters have vanished from hip-hop.

wwittman

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2006, 02:12:23 PM »

I think we went through a whole generation of music that sort of looked sideways at any hint of "politics" in music.

Happily that saeesm to be over.

It's nice to see and hear artistes writing about things that really MATTER to them again.
No matter what they might be.
And certainly music can be a powerful force for change.

It's always great to see someone really try to say something other than how his girfriend sucks or his parent's don't understand him.
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

Klokkern

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2006, 09:24:13 AM »

rwj1313 wrote on Fri, 06 January 2006 16:16

ivan40 wrote on Thu, 05 January 2006 17:37

rwj1313 wrote on Thu, 05 January 2006 18:09

I protest any musician that protest. I buy music to enjoy......to escape. The last thing I want is some bonehead on some award show wearing 10 t-shirts with different protest on them. I hate bands that do that shit and always have. If you want to change the social conscience get your ass out their and do some real work. When bands start protesting I protest by not purchasing their albums. I tell all the bands that I do FOH sound that if you talk politics on stage, I don't care if it's Republican, Democrat or Independent, I will turn your mic off so fast it will kill it for the remainder of the show. If you don't like it: protest and don't hire me! For me music should be about music. There are a lot of really good bands that I used to buy their albums but after the first protest song I was finished with them. As far as politics and music goes this country voted right down the middle in the last few elections. Why on earth would you want to automatically exclude half of the people that might buy your album. It just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I should have said it doesn't make cents.If
you are really serious about your cause make as much money as you can by keeping your trap shut and then donate half to your favorite cause. Now you've managed to take money from the very people you don't agree with and applied it to what you believe in.  

OK I'm done with my protest, <G>

Rick

Ya know what I can't stand?? FOH guys who show up at shows thinking they are the nights entertainment. Mix the fucking show already and,, stop with the constant protesting and crying. There are 200 guys standing in line to do your gig just as well as you and most of them are NOT going to play "producer"

Thanks,,,

Ivan..........................

I have never done FOH "for the money". Don't get me wrong the bands I work for do pay me but........for the amount of work I do, it's a drop in the bucket. It barely pays for the gasoline to pull my trailer to the gig. I run sound because I love to.....not because I get paid. When I run sound I don't want a fricking political rally. Growing up my anthem was not Sex, Drugs, Rock-N-Roll and Politics! I have many rules when doing FOH. Don't fricking use the horns on my monitors as ashtrays. The amp racks or monitor console are not cup holders for your beer so please don't put them on top of them or I might cut your nuts off! These are realistic examples. I want the show to be fun. When you talk politics it pisses off half the crowd and I'm not into that. I know I'm not "the nights entertainment".....the band is. None of the bands I work for have any problems with my "rules". As far as "There are 200 guys standing in line to do your gig just as well as you and most of them are NOT going to play "producer"" I don't know where you live but I know I have never heard 200 guys anywhere that can actually mix well. I'm also not saying I can mix well either. The bottom line is that the bands know my rules and they don't have to hire me and I am quite happy with that. Where is the "constant protesting and crying"?

Rick

I am sorry to have to say this, Rick, but your opinions will be part of my "DON´T" list for my students at Nordic Institute of Stage and Studio (where I teach live sound).

Here is my reason:

I always (and have always done) teach my students that the most important thing for them to learn is WHAT THEIR JOB IS! According to what I have been teaching them for 7 years now, their job is to make sure they do everything they can to service the artist on stage, make sure the artist feels that his performance is presented to the audience the way he wants it to, and TO NOT INTERFERE WITH THE ARTIST EXPRESSION.

As an example: My wife was some years ago sexually assaulted by a very christian man, who used his beleif in god as an excuse for why HE was not to blame, and that everybody had to understand that he was tempted on purpose and that god had forgiven him his sin (here I should mention that it was her grandfather, and my wife was 14 at the time).

Since then, I have sometimes experienced a strong wish to stop some of the chrsitian speakers I have listened to, and to tell my own story about what some "good christians" do.

Does this give me the right to pull down a mic if somebody mentions christianity/god/jesus at a job where I am mixing? I would wonder how I could ever have worked in the pro audio industry if so.

I am sorry, but the fact that you are mixing the show and CAN act as private censorship gives you no right to do so.

I remeber when U2 toured the world in 1992. On every gig on that tour, Bono called up a national politician and started inquiering about some national issue in which he took an interest. I guess you would pull the mic if you had been mixing?? (Bad example, since a guy with attitude of this kind would never mix U2, but still....)

Sorry to have to disagree this strongly with you, but in my opinion you are not really doing what you are hired to do; make sure the show comes out like the artist wants it to.

Regards,
larsK
Peace, sunshine and happiness for all

Ronny

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2006, 05:12:42 PM »

Thankfully in the US we have freedom of speech. The important thing is that each person has the right to speak their mind, not that we disagree or agree with it.

Politics will always be a part of music as it's a form of self-expression based from emotion, might as well accept it and enjoy the freedom that your ancestors fought and died for. The beauty is in the person being able to say or sing what they want without some asshole trying to pull the plug on them. Rick your attitude reminds me of the Beatle vinyl record burnings that some radio stations and organizations had when John said that they were more popular than Jesus. He was stating a fact and not saying that he was better than Jesus, but brainwashed plug pullers who think that what's right for them is right for everyone else on this planet, blew it out of proportion. Censorship is one big contradiction to the US constitution, we do not need fucking sound police.    
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------