R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New industry standard reference monitors ?  (Read 26783 times)

maxim

Re: New industry standard reference monitors ?
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2008, 12:11:34 AM »

warning: amateur perspective

i have no experience with ns10's, but when i auditioned all the powered speakers in a noisy paris shop 3 or 4 years ago, yamaha msp5's seemed to create the most stable image without too much hype (= boring but reliable)

having been using them for a couple of years, the only problem to report is the  lack of bottom end, so double-checking is always required, usually with a pair of trusty old headphones...

Andy Simpson

Re: Questions for Mr. Manning and Mr. Olhsson
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2008, 05:01:27 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Sun, 30 March 2008 05:25

Andy Simpson wrote on Sat, 29 March 2008 10:27

What was the last thing you heard through them?

Wow, I can't even remember.

Quote:

Do they still work?

Well, I will just have to turn them on and see!

If you do manage to turn them on without them crumbling to dust (!) - try out some of my demos on them. The resolution difference will be much more obvious than on direct-radiators.

this one is quite brutal on decent horns...so it might finish them off if they are a little crumbly!

Andy

Han S.

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2008, 05:52:46 PM »

For me the NS10 is still the standard, it's a speaker you'll love or hate, there's not much in between, but it's a reliable monitor and with a decent sub you can make really good sounding mixes.

The NS10 doesn't match with every amp, on some amps it sounds horrible, but find a good amp and work very hard. And then even the NS10 will sound great and you're a winner.

Ian Visible

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2008, 12:17:00 PM »

Has anyone any experience with the Studiospares Classic SN10?

http://studiospares.com/Product.aspx?code=248000

Dominick

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2008, 03:38:40 PM »

These are obviously the new reference monitor

index.php/fa/8562/0/
Dominick Costanzo

Tomas Danko

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2008, 03:39:23 PM »

Dominick wrote on Sat, 19 April 2008 20:38

These are obviously the new reference monitor

index.php/fa/8562/0/

For that BIG sound.
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

Andy Simpson

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2008, 10:04:14 AM »

While we're on the subject of Ipod & headphones, does anybody have any experience of canal-type ear-phones?

These present an interesting dB/w/m figure, similar to that of a high-efficiency horn system.

Andy

vegas4ever

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2008, 12:50:29 PM »

Han S. wrote on Thu, 03 April 2008 16:52

For me the NS10 is still the standard, it's a speaker you'll love or hate, there's not much in between, but it's a reliable monitor and with a decent sub you can make really good sounding mixes.

The NS10 doesn't match with every amp, on some amps it sounds horrible, but find a good amp and work very hard. And then even the NS10 will sound great and you're a winner.

Second that... I love my NS10
"Eagles may soar high, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines"
David Brent

David Barton

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2008, 01:48:33 PM »

andy,

i use the shure E5 and ultimate ears 5pro. the E5s have great low end but they're universal fit. the 5pros are custom but lack low end. i should have gone for the ambient feature, but that's neither here nor there. both are dual-driver types. i use both for tracking but not for mixing. they need a very quiet amp to work properly. by quiet i mean a very high S/N and also an amp that doesn't get very loud, as these are extremely sensitive drivers. i have a firepod but it is far too noisy. surprisingly, the furman remote mixer (HRM-16) is quiet enough.

hope this helps.

~db

Andy Simpson

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2008, 05:00:38 PM »

dibbs wrote on Sat, 10 May 2008 19:48

andy,

i use the shure E5 and ultimate ears 5pro. the E5s have great low end but they're universal fit. the 5pros are custom but lack low end. i should have gone for the ambient feature, but that's neither here nor there. both are dual-driver types. i use both for tracking but not for mixing. they need a very quiet amp to work properly. by quiet i mean a very high S/N and also an amp that doesn't get very loud, as these are extremely sensitive drivers. i have a firepod but it is far too noisy. surprisingly, the furman remote mixer (HRM-16) is quiet enough.

hope this helps.

~db

Hi David,

How would you describe the dynamics? Any different to conventional headphones?

Thanks.

Andy

David Barton

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2008, 08:17:24 PM »

Andy,

sometimes they feel a bit confined, perhaps because the things are in my ears with no air to interact with, but if something is too loud, it's transient hits and my ears and it HURTS! if they don't fit, they may be a bit wonky, but if everything is right, i forget i'm wearing them. i think they may actually have better range than headphones.

i will say this though: some singers tell me that IEMs do weird things to pitch, and so they will sing with one ear out. i know what they're talking about, but it doesn't bother me.

~db

bigaudioblowhard

Re: New industry reference standard monitors ?
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2008, 12:43:29 PM »

Giovanni Speranza wrote on Fri, 23 December 2005 16:45

I think that there are some false myths about the NS-10
The NS 10 were used in top productions just to balance the voice vs the music. PERIOD.
All those NS-10 finding a place over SSLs, NEVEs and behind ALL the sacred monsters of the'80s created a false myth. Too many people (me included) thought that those were mixing tools.

Since the mid '90s the Genelec loudspeakers became a standard for many studios thanks to their precision. It's really easy to EQ with them.

During the last 5 years the sonic character of the top 20 music is no more important. It's the panties that matters.

But if you still want to make real music i still suggest the Genelec because they help you a lot.

I'm no Engrish Major, but isn't "false myth" kinda like a double negative, making it a...a...oh now I'm confused again.

bab
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 20 queries.