R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New industry standard reference monitors ?  (Read 26788 times)

JamSync

Re: New industry standard reference monitors ?
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2005, 06:53:06 PM »

Bob Olhsson wrote on Mon, 26 December 2005 17:49

I'm hearing good things about Adams. Lots of people haven't found anything that works as well for them as NS-10s. Since they are no longer available, some folks will probably move back in the direction of using a larger number of alternatives in the control room like we did before NS-10s and NS-4s which worked even better but almost immediately went away.

I hate NS-10s. They over-emphasize female vocals.

oldtimeblues

Re: New industry reference standard monitors ?
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2005, 01:48:48 PM »

[/quote]

Speaker opinions are like assholes....everyone's got a pair.

Eric[/quote]

Hmmm, I haven't looked lately but I thought we all had only 1 AH! Do you have a pair? Twisted Evil

Kenny Holloway

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2006, 05:03:43 PM »

Quote:

...Considering many engineers seems to slag them off as the worst speaker ever its amazing how much good work has been done with ns10s. I wonder why people hate them so, im quite fond of them myself.

I think its probably because its human nature to moan.

The biggest complaints about the NS-10s have always been the listener fatigue and the sonic quality.  It's a bit like complaining that the pocketknife is a crappy screwdriver.  Different speakers are intended to be listened to for different purposes.

The NS-10s were never intended to be used as a loudspeaker (client playback) or for listening to at high SPLs over a great period of time.  They do an insurpassable job of spatially locating things in the mix as well as going small and mono in mixdown.

The defacto standard was an engineer's benefit, not the reason for success.  I agree that I do not forsee a replacement industry standard for nearfields.  The downside is the new need for engineers to learn the different speakers.  Another great loss for the commercial studio.  FWIW, I have yet to find a commercial studio getting rid of their NS-10s, so it's still the standard.
Kenny Holloway
Producer

Timeline

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2006, 11:13:29 PM »

I would say the M-Audio BX8 powered speaker because they contain an 8" woofer, provide more settings and curve variety, have sold thousands and are damn cheap!
Gary Brandt
Timeline

Augustine Leudar

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2006, 04:09:17 PM »

Ive got a feeling its going to be the mackie 824s. theyve got a kind of dull sound and theyre popular at colleges. More tellingly I auditioned some today and amongst others they sounded the most muddy ! I asked the engineer why they were so popular thinking he would tell me that they were just really "honest" instead guess what he said ? :

"because if you can get something to sound good on those things it will sound good on anything "

Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes

compasspnt

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2008, 09:49:49 AM »

I mixed on NS-10's for years (supplemented by Tannoy Little Red 12's for comparison).

Wouldn't do that now, but it would work.

Adam: Can't like them, no matter how much I try.

Genelecs:  I like my original-year issue 1031's, but later much-newer one's don't sound the same to me.  Can't stand the new 80xx series.

thedoc

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2008, 01:09:10 AM »

Different strokes...I'm liking my 8040's.
Doc

Bill_Urick

Questions for Mr. Manning and Mr. Olhsson
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2008, 07:48:57 AM »

Mr. Manning, what were your feelings about the Event ASP8's used on the Panic session? Did you use these for mixing as well?

Mr. Olhsson, regarding your statement
Quote:

It's all about the three-way relationship between full-range mains, real world speakers and NS-10s.
could you expound on that concept and give some examples of what you consider to be "real world speakers"?

I'm primarily using JBL 4320's and NS10's (NS10's with a sub) but haven't settled on that in between speaker yet.

Thanks!
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

compasspnt

Re: Questions for Mr. Manning and Mr. Olhsson
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2008, 09:40:23 AM »

Bill Urick wrote on Mon, 10 March 2008 07:48

Mr. Manning, what were your feelings about the Event ASP8's used on the Panic session? Did you use these for mixing as well?

The more I use the SP8's, the more I like them.

For tracking/overdubbing, they remind me somehow of the days when we used "loud" non-internally-amped "old-style" mon's like the JBL's or Altecs.  I can get some more reasonable vol without straining the speakers constantly.

Their overall signature is much like my original version) 1031's.  And they work much better for such work than my 1032's.

For mixing, on that album I did use the 1031's as the "mains," and cross-referenced with the SP8's.  I don't know the 8's well enough yet to make critical mix decisions at low levels.

I do also plan on experimenting with my SP6's for that purpose soon though.

aranos

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2008, 11:50:09 AM »

it'll be iPod earbuds from now on!

Bill_Urick

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2008, 09:48:23 PM »

aranos wrote on Sun, 16 March 2008 11:50

it'll be iPod earbuds from now on!

I guess that could be a justifiable option!
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

Andy Simpson

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2008, 01:13:06 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Mon, 10 March 2008 14:40

Bill Urick wrote on Mon, 10 March 2008 07:48

The more I use the SP8's, the more I like them.

For tracking/overdubbing, they remind me somehow of the days when we used "loud" non-internally-amped "old-style" mon's like the JBL's or Altecs.  I can get some more reasonable vol without straining the speakers constantly.

Their overall signature is much like my original version) 1031's.  And they work much better for such work than my 1032's.

For mixing, on that album I did use the 1031's as the "mains," and cross-referenced with the SP8's.  I don't know the 8's well enough yet to make critical mix decisions at low levels.

I do also plan on experimenting with my SP6's for that purpose soon though.

Terry, did you ever dust off the old Altec A7s of your youth?

Andy

compasspnt

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2008, 08:49:29 PM »

Andy Simpson wrote on Fri, 28 March 2008 13:13

I actually still have one pair mounted in the soffit in our B studio tracking room, but I haven't turned them on in years.

Andy Simpson

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2008, 10:27:02 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Sat, 29 March 2008 01:49

Andy Simpson wrote on Fri, 28 March 2008 13:13

I actually still have one pair mounted in the soffit in our B studio tracking room, but I haven't turned them on in years.

What was the last thing you heard through them? Do they still work?

Andy

compasspnt

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2008, 11:25:14 PM »

Andy Simpson wrote on Sat, 29 March 2008 10:27

What was the last thing you heard through them?

Wow, I can't even remember.

Quote:

Do they still work?

Well, I will just have to turn them on and see!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.