R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New industry standard reference monitors ?  (Read 26782 times)

Augustine Leudar

New industry standard reference monitors ?
« on: December 23, 2005, 10:18:18 AM »

Although generally disliked or years NS10s were the industry standard monitors allowing studios to reference on the same gear worldwide. As most of you know production stopped a couple of years ago, so what my question is :

If any, which speaker is emerging as the new industry standard monitor ?

Eric Rudd

Re: New industry reference standard monitors ?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 10:34:46 AM »

Augustine Leudar wrote on Fri, 23 December 2005 09:18

If any, which speaker will take their place as the industry standard monitor ?

Speaker opinions are like assholes....everyone's got a pair.

Eric
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Eric Rudd
efrudd@gmail.com
For an engineering discography, please see www.allmusic.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ashermusic

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 11:33:09 AM »

Here in L.A. more and more I am seeing Dynaudio BM6As.

Composer, Logic Pro Certified Trainer, Level 2
Author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 8"

www.jayasher.com

Augustine Leudar

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 03:10:19 PM »

Ashermusic wrote on Fri, 23 December 2005 16:33

Here in L.A. more and more I am seeing Dynaudio BM6As.

hmmm it would be nice if something with a digital input as well as analogue became popular but they are nice monitors.

Augustine Leudar

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 03:13:44 PM »

Eric Rudd wrote on Fri, 23 December 2005 15:34

Speaker opinions are like assholes....everyone's got a pair.

Eric

I know what you mean, but im not so interested in personal preferences as whether or not something is presently emerging as the next industry standard . Ive edited my original question to make it clearer.

Giovanni Speranza

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 06:45:39 PM »

I think that there are some false myths about the NS-10
The NS 10 were used in top productions just to balance the voice vs the music. PERIOD.
All those NS-10 finding a place over SSLs, NEVEs and behind ALL the sacred monsters of the'80s created a false myth. Too many people (me included) thought that those were mixing tools.

Since the mid '90s the Genelec loudspeakers became a standard for many studios thanks to their precision. It's really easy to EQ with them.

During the last 5 years the sonic character of the top 20 music is no more important. It's the panties that matters.

But if you still want to make real music i still suggest the Genelec because they help you a lot.

djui5

Re: New industry standard reference monitors ?
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005, 08:22:56 PM »

A lot of people are buying ADAM S3A's, but I wouldn't call them an industry standard yet.

The NS-10's still hold their place and have yet to be knocked off as king of standard studio monitors.
Morale of the day? Stop looking at what you're hearing.
yngve hoeyland 07'

Randy Wright
Mix Engineer
Mesa, Arizona

nob turner

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 10:51:47 PM »

in order for a speaker model to become as ubiquitous as nasty 10's, they'll have to be cheap.
Why do you think they call it the control room?
www.garymankin.com

Augustine Leudar

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2005, 12:56:12 PM »

Giovanni Speranza wrote on Fri, 23 December 2005 23:45

But if you still want to make real music i still suggest the Genelec because they help you a lot.

thats kind of what ive been looking at. The adams are obviously good but the price  Rolling Eyes to much for me at the moment anyway, genelec are not far off in terms of quality and about a quarter the price too.

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2005, 01:04:54 PM »

Although generally disliked or years NS10s were the industry standard monitors allowing studios to reference on the same gear worldwide.

This is not at all why people ever used NS-10s!

It's all about the three-way relationship between full-range mains, real world speakers and NS-10s.

They remain a standard quite simply because they work very well as a reference point for OTHER speakers exactly as JBL 4310s and Auratones did before them.

Eric Rudd

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2005, 02:07:20 PM »

Giovanni Speranza wrote on Fri, 23 December 2005 17:45

I think that there are some false myths about the NS-10
The NS 10 were used in top productions just to balance the voice vs the music. PERIOD.

This is a generalization that simply isn't true.

I worked on many, many, many records during my tenure at Ocean Way (as I did later as an independent) where the first engineer would work almost exclusively on NS10's. Interestingly enough, it was the mains in many studios engineers didn't trust because they were too inconsistent. (although OWR were the best-sounding big speakers you would have ever hoped to hear).

I know for a fact that Kevin Killen mixed Paula Cole's first album "Harbinger" on NS10s only and no automation. It was the record that set her career into motion. For years and years they were all he'd use.

The above quote does, however, touch on one of the many positive attributes of the speaker. In order to appreciate the dominance of the NS10 at the time, its usage must be taken in historical context.

To answer the original poster...No, I don't think there will be an industry-standard speaker again. There are simply too many choices now (which touches on one of the reasons the NS10 rose to industry prominence in the first place).

Eric
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Eric Rudd
efrudd@gmail.com
For an engineering discography, please see www.allmusic.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Augustine Leudar

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2005, 02:18:31 PM »

Bob Olhsson wrote on Sat, 24 December 2005 18:04

Although generally disliked or years NS10s were the industry standard monitors allowing studios to reference on the same gear worldwide.

This is not at all why people ever used NS-10s!

It's all about the three-way relationship between full-range mains, real world speakers and NS-10s.

They remain a standard quite simply because they work very well as a reference point for OTHER speakers exactly as JBL 4310s and Auratones did before them.

Yes I know, if its sounds good on ns10s itll sound good on anything etc etc however they were also useful in that to having an industry standard so you could take your work to another studio and continue monitoring on the same speakers.
Considering many engineers seems to slag them off as the worst speaker ever its amazing how much good work has been done with ns10s. I wonder why people hate them so, im quite fond of them myself.

I think its probably because its human nature to moan.

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2005, 11:24:37 AM »

Augustine Leudar wrote on Sat, 24 December 2005 13:18

...Yes I know, if its sounds good on ns10s itll sound good on anything etc etc however...
That isn't true at all. If it sounds good on NS-10s AND the others you stand half a chance of being within a range that can be easily compensated in mastering.

You can't isolate the NS-10 from being just one point of reference within the context of a mixer's home listening setup, some of the better control room mains and the full range speakers today's top mastering engineers use. Nobody good has ever just mixed on NS-10s and then trusted on faith that everything is always going to sound great. Great mixers almost always check out their mixes in a wide variety of listening environments. Monitors are chosen by the RESULTS, not by how pleasing they sound in the control room.

Augustine Leudar

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2005, 04:23:35 PM »

Bob Olhsson wrote on Mon, 26 December 2005 16:24

Augustine Leudar wrote on Sat, 24 December 2005 13:18

...Yes I know, if its sounds good on ns10s itll sound good on anything etc etc however...
That isn't true at all. If it sounds good on NS-10s AND the others you stand half a chance of being within a range that can be easily compensated in mastering.

You can't isolate the NS-10 from being just one point of reference within the context of a mixer's home listening setup, some of the better control room mains and the full range speakers today's top mastering engineers use. Nobody good has ever just mixed on NS-10s and then trusted on faith that everything is always going to sound great. Great mixers almost always check out their mixes in a wide variety of listening environments. Monitors are chosen by the RESULTS, not by how pleasing they sound in the control room.

True enough, listening to your mix on as many speakers as possible to get an idea of the mix is a good idea, some studios even have crappy hi fis to hear what the mix sounds like on them .
Bearing all this in mind, what current speakers would you recommend as translating well onto other systems ?

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2005, 06:49:47 PM »

I'm hearing good things about Adams. Lots of people haven't found anything that works as well for them as NS-10s. Since they are no longer available, some folks will probably move back in the direction of using a larger number of alternatives in the control room like we did before NS-10s and NS-4s which worked even better but almost immediately went away.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 23 queries.