R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Compression  (Read 57962 times)

J.J. Blair

Re: Compression
« Reply #165 on: January 05, 2006, 08:15:01 PM »

I wish I could have a drum room that size.  Nice wedges!

BTW, I get pretty much the same results with 1176LNs and 1178s for that type of 4 button thing.  The compression circuits are identical.  The main difference between the units is the input stage, where the 1178 is transformerless and has a 5534 I believe.   The compression circuit is identical, from what I remember from the schematics.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

bjornson

« Reply #166 on: January 05, 2006, 08:50:37 PM »

One of the advantages to Pittsburgh....
Real Estate Prices!
I couldn't afford a dog house in the valley.
Then again you're not going to run into talent at the 7/11 either Crying or Very Sad
sorry for the double post.
Back on topic.
Lower those thresholds!!

Tidewater

« Reply #167 on: January 05, 2006, 09:33:51 PM »

That room is depressingly tremendous!

M
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year

kraster

« Reply #168 on: January 05, 2006, 10:02:04 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Thu, 05 January 2006 22:24

Kraster, to be fair, that was the interviewer who didn't know which record it was.

I stand corrected. My Bad. Sorry Andy.

rankus

« Reply #169 on: January 06, 2006, 02:53:36 PM »

DivideByZero wrote on Thu, 05 January 2006 18:33

That room is depressingly tremendous!

M

If you like that sort of thing Rolling Eyes

Makes mine look like a closet...
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

bloodstone

« Reply #170 on: January 10, 2006, 07:12:29 AM »

I was climbing mountains in Nepal and came upon a wise old man who was living in a stone hut at the top of a peak.  He told me "compression is your friend".  The trick in a lot of cases is to use it just enough to improve the mix or track (I rarely compress when tracking anymore) without it being audible.  I tend to use effects that way: delays and reverbs you can't really "hear" but improve the impact of the tune.

Compression can help you control an unruly signal that's overwhelming a mix.  Some of us don't have fader automation and can't manage the 50 fader moves a song might require w/o compression (mixing alone).  

Then there's the cases where smashing a given sound really hard is just the ticket.  It just depends on the song and the signal.  "If it sounds right, it is right".  Absolutism is dangerous when you're dealing with art.

chris haines

« Reply #171 on: January 10, 2006, 10:30:05 AM »

Hello Steve,

I remember reading in the Kurt Cobain journals that you recommended using two mics on top of the snare, one hotter than the other...do you use this technique to avoid using compression on the snare or do you feel that in order to capture the timbre of the drum correctly you need two mics for louder/softer hits?

thanks.

Rinkydink Audio, studio
The Vulcan Freedom Fighters, band

ex-weasel
ex-publisher
ex-pat

zmix

« Reply #172 on: January 11, 2006, 02:01:52 AM »

[ singing ]
"I love things that are great
Good things are fantastic.  

'Cause I dig everything except things that I don't
And I'll try anything except the things I say I won't.
But one thing's for sure
I like things [ scatting ] that are great!"

[ the audience cheers ]

Bob_Vandiver

« Reply #173 on: June 18, 2006, 11:56:17 PM »

Quote:

there are some seriously amazing sounding records that are just crushed.

Andy Wallace
Tchad Blake

Quote:

Substitue "cliche-riddled, immediately-dated artefacts" for "seriously amazing sounding records" and you've hit another nail on the head.

I know that I am coming to this conversation very late  and am hardly the stature of a Steve Albini OR a Tchad Blake but it would be nice to remind ourselves that today's "cliche-riddled, immediately-dated artefacts" were yesterday's most significant innovations.

Here is a dated reference but it makes my point. I hated watching "NYPD Blue" at times simply because pf those stupid, over-the-top drum treatments used in the show music. They reminded me of the difference between your basic pickup truck and those rediculous monster trucks that are fifteen feet tall and a monument to the stupidity of man.

However, I think that a fair percentage of us originally thought that the drum sounds on Phil Collin's "In the Air Tonight" kicked some serious ass, the first thousand times they were heard. It isn't the effect, it is the over-use of an effect that is goofy, especially if you cannot help but hear it in the mix.

Another question raised early on in this thread was, can you name music that sounded weak in its unadorned state (or something like that)? Funny this question should come up. Just this weekend I was listening to some Seventies-era Grateful Dead and specifically thought that the "naturally" recorded drums (esp. Toms)  sounded positively anemic, thin, amateur.    So, yes.

As it turns out, "Natural" is also an illusion.

Use one color in your palate and you always sound clich

Toomanywires

« Reply #174 on: June 20, 2006, 06:04:46 PM »

Great post, Long,,,,,but great.

My thoughts on compression.

For starters not everyone’s take on what sounds good will be the same. Just like food some people love Sushi bars and some just hate them, and some only stop by for a little saki every now and then. Some engineers or bands just love the so called "crushed sound" so they work towards that sound. On the other hand some engineers or bands work to preserve the natural dynamics of their sound, and last but not least some engineers take the middle ground and use compression/limiting in moderation to achieve their sound. Time after time many new AE's ask themselves which method wins the debate. Well I found they all can win if given the right circumstances. It's all a matter of taste. The standard method of trial and error is the first step towards "the sound" you are looking for. Give them all a shot but make sure you have the time and patience for it.

Oh yeah and don’t forget to take a ton of notes........
I find the old saying: You cannot shine a turd applies best in the music industry.

Bobro

« Reply #175 on: June 21, 2006, 07:39:04 AM »

Let's see... let's push down or kill (clip) anything that sticks out of our "standard" so we can bring the whole thing, on the average, up. Then everyone can have everything- a car for example! Let's call it... "the folk's vehicle" for example.

Editing and gating out the "noise" down there below our "standard" goes without saying of course.

"Compression is the sound of rock and roll" - Tony Visconti

"Compression is the sound of cocksucking fascists"- Bobro

Razz

Off to the sea for a month of nakedness and wine, love you all,

-Cameron Bobro

PS. Yes of course I'm exaggerating, a little, but everyone here knows in their heart when they've crossed the line between art and being part of the problem, come on.

groucho

« Reply #176 on: June 30, 2006, 01:07:24 AM »

Quote:

maybe all these bands are pleased as punch with the records they have.

Quote:

I'm sure some of them are. My aunt Mabel liked her husband fine. He didn't beat her much.

While most of what Steve has said on this subject seems pretty sensible, this strikes me as somewhat inconsistant with his general philiosophy of "give the band what they want."

It's one thing to say that he prefers records that aren't super compressed or heavily processed. But to compare those who DO prefer those kinds of sounds to victims of domestic abuse seems to cross the line into arrogance.

Sure, there are tons of engineers imposing their cliche-ridden visions on the band, there are tons of engineers with deluded, overinflated senses of themselves as "artists" and "collaborators", etc. etc. I can buy all that.

But the dirty little secret just might be that... there are a lot of bands who LIKE it this way.Smile

Chris

CWHumphrey

« Reply #177 on: July 02, 2006, 08:27:15 PM »

groucho wrote on Fri, 30 June 2006 06:07

Quote:

maybe all these bands are pleased as punch with the records they have.

Quote:

I'm sure some of them are. My aunt Mabel liked her husband fine. He didn't beat her much.

While most of what Steve has said on this subject seems pretty sensible, this strikes me as somewhat inconsistant with his general philiosophy of "give the band what they want."

It's one thing to say that he prefers records that aren't super compressed or heavily processed. But to compare those who DO prefer those kinds of sounds to victims of domestic abuse seems to cross the line into arrogance.

Sure, there are tons of engineers imposing their cliche-ridden visions on the band, there are tons of engineers with deluded, overinflated senses of themselves as "artists" and "collaborators", etc. etc. I can buy all that.

But the dirty little secret just might be that... there are a lot of bands who LIKE it this way.Smile

Chris

I was hoping that Steve was going to address this specifically.  He hasn't, so I will.  Don't you think, that if a band chooses to work with Steve Albini, they already know how it's going to go?  Steve has written copious opinions on his attitudes to the music biz, his approach, his love of analog--long before coming to this forum.

I have a hard time believing that a band says they want to work with Steve Albini, but then, in the studio, a conversation goes like this: "Steve, love your work.  But uh, see, we're looking for your sound, but compressed, can you do that?"

But who knows?  It's a whacky biz.  An equally unlikely scenario:  Band to Tom Lord Alge, "Tom, we're so excited to have you mix this song, but, do you think you back off the compression?"

For the record I like both TLA's and Steve Albini's work, contradictory as they may seem.

Cheers,

Carter William Humphrey
Carter William Humphrey

"Indeed...oh three named one!" -Terry Manning
"Or you can just have Carter do the recording, because he's Humphrey."-J.J. Blair

maxim

« Reply #178 on: July 02, 2006, 09:25:55 PM »

cw wrote:

"I like both TLA's and Steve Albini's work, contradictory as they may seem"

contradictory is not uncomplimentary

groucho

« Reply #179 on: July 02, 2006, 11:10:04 PM »

Quote:

I was hoping that Steve was going to address this specifically. He hasn't, so I will. Don't you think, that if a band chooses to work with Steve Albini, they already know how it's going to go?

Well sure, I think we could assume that to be true. I'm not sure that really addresses what I said though.

While I totally love Steve's "pro-band" ethics I'm just kinda puzzled by this one inconsistancy, namely his assumption that all heavily compressed, heavily "tampered with" records are perpetrated upon the band in some way against their will.

When someone mentioned that it might in fact be the BANDS who often REQUEST this kind of treatment, he responded with the above quote comparing them to people who are too dumb to know they're being abused.

This seems out of line with his general respect for the band's desires, so I assume I'm misunderstanding him here. Either that or, just like everyone else in recording it seems, he really just thinks that his way is the ONLY good way and it happened to leak out in that one comment.Smile

Chris

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 19 queries.