R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Compression  (Read 57293 times)

j.hall

Re: Compression
« Reply #150 on: January 05, 2006, 01:30:52 PM »

vernier

« Reply #151 on: January 05, 2006, 01:31:55 PM »

1975 article sounds like the recipe, not the later stories.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #152 on: January 05, 2006, 01:42:56 PM »

Vern, I would tend to agree if not for the fact that he's recalling setting a non-existent attack time.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

rwj1313

« Reply #153 on: January 05, 2006, 01:46:37 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Wed, 04 January 2006 15:51

Hey, and I don't even drink!  See how intuitive that was?  LOL.

Ah Hah!!

Now I know some your post are so angry! <G>

Rick
If you think you're finished at the dance, you are quitting too soon.    William Wittman

you need the fat to protect the stomach lining against alcohol, and the alcohol to cut through the fat in the bloodstream so, it's beer & doughnuts for me.  Maxim

vernier

« Reply #154 on: January 05, 2006, 02:05:33 PM »

Quote:

Vern, I would tend to agree if not for the fact that he's recalling setting a non-existent attack time.

Then I'll ignore all those stories and go with what Ron Nevison told me. HEE!

zmix

« Reply #155 on: January 05, 2006, 02:38:44 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Thu, 05 January 2006 10:17

Yeah, no attack time and they are only $4700 each.

I have the A & D + R version of the circuit in the F700 and these do have an attack knob, and it's nearly impossible NOT to get the 1176 top-and-bottom-button sound. I mean, they shudder when you run rooms through them.

Quote:

BTW, Chuck, if you feel the need to smack me, you are always welcome to stay here, too.

Embarassed  ,   Very Happy

Isn't it nice when people are civil and humane towards each other?
Thanks, JJ.

bjornson

« Reply #156 on: January 05, 2006, 04:20:40 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Thu, 05 January 2006 17:37

bjornson wrote on Thu, 05 January 2006 07:18

Weak, standard issue, vibeless use of compression.

Vibeless?  I think your monitors might be broken.  Either that, or you are listening on your laptop.

BTW, does this forum have the same anonymity rules as the other forums?  I like knowing who is taking shots at me.  This could be AJ, for all I know.

No offense meant,  just giving my opinion. Listening on unbroken BM15a's
My 1178's just don't sound anything like that.
I'll shut up now.

kraster

« Reply #157 on: January 05, 2006, 05:04:10 PM »

zmix wrote on Thu, 05 January 2006 10:50

kraster wrote on Wed, 04 January 2006 20:53

zmix wrote on Wed, 04 January 2006 23:39

I thought that the "Helios" (aka A+D & R ) compressor myth was put to rest when it was revealed that in fact these were 1176s on that track. Where did you get this info?
"If I remember correctly, both sides were going through [Audio & Design] F-700 compressors set to the slowest attack and the quickest release times possible....Andy Johns, engineer "When the Levee Breaks" (Recording Engineer/Producer magazine 1975)

Vintage King have some F700 compressors for sale:

http://www.vintageking.com/s.nl/sc.14/category.143/it.A/id.2 970/.f

But they do not even have an adjustment for the atack time...

Seems more likely that "Levee" was the 1176 after all....

What about these then?

http://w1.815.telia.com/~u81503617/f700.jpg

It seems there were different models of the F700.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #158 on: January 05, 2006, 05:13:47 PM »

bjornson wrote on Thu, 05 January 2006 13:20

Sure they do!  Just push all the buttons in, crank up the input and set the A&R to 3 and 7.  Typically, I'm sure you don't want that sound as loud as I had it, but that was just to prove the point.

Kraster, you seem to have a point, BTW.  Those are indeed different.  If only Andy Johns' brain weren't mush, we could get a straight story!  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

kraster

« Reply #159 on: January 05, 2006, 05:18:33 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Thu, 05 January 2006 22:13

Kraster, you seem to have a point, BTW.  Those are indeed different.  If only Andy Johns' brain weren't mush, we could get a straight story!  

You have a point too. I do recall various "inconsistencies" in Andy John's accounts over the years. He even starts the 1975 interview with "If I remember correctly"...

And in the article on Black Dog you quoted he couldn't remember which album was Led Zep IV. Very Happy

Seriously good engineer, though.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #160 on: January 05, 2006, 05:24:06 PM »

Kraster, to be fair, that was the interviewer who didn't know which record it was.
studio info

j.hall

« Reply #161 on: January 05, 2006, 05:34:40 PM »

bjornson wrote on Thu, 05 January 2006 15:20

when the attack knob is in the detent it's actually bypassing the compressor......FYI.

zmix

« Reply #162 on: January 05, 2006, 06:03:50 PM »

kraster wrote on Thu, 05 January 2006 17:04

What about these then?

It seems there were different models of the F700.

Very nice! These are the A&D+R branded modules.... with an "H" designation...

I have 2 questions:

when were they made??

May I have them??

bjornson

« Reply #163 on: January 05, 2006, 06:35:44 PM »

[/quote]

Sure they do!  Just push all the buttons in, crank up the input and set the A&R to 3 and 7.  Typically, I'm sure you don't want that sound as loud as I had it, but that was just to prove the point. [/quote]
The 1178 just doesn't do the 4 button trick as well as a blackface 1176 EOS. It loses all the aggression. My best room crush results with an 1178 tend to be 4:1, Tempo dependent attack and fastest release. Granted with a 40L x34W x 20H room the whole "Bonham Thing" gets alot easier.  here's a shot of a wackie dual position drum kit played by the amazing Dave "Throck" Throckmorton at a recent in studio live recording. Ignore the pastel lighting.  Very Happy

index.php/fa/2178/0/  

bjornson

« Reply #164 on: January 05, 2006, 06:41:04 PM »

[/quote]

Sure they do!  Just push all the buttons in, crank up the input and set the A&R to 3 and 7.  Typically, I'm sure you don't want that sound as loud as I had it, but that was just to prove the point. [/quote]

The 1178 just doesn't do the 4 button trick as well as a blackface 1176 EOS. It loses all the aggression. My best room crush results with an 1178 tend to be 4:1, Tempo dependent attack and fastest release. Granted with a 40L x34W x 20H room the whole "Bonham Thing" gets alot easier.  Here's a shot of a wackie dual position drum kit played by the amazing Dave "Throck" Throckmorton at a recent in studio live recording (with 125 person audience). Ignore the pastel lighting.  Very Happy

index.php/fa/2178/0/  [/quote]
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 21 queries.