R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New RMG analog tape samples arrived  (Read 6884 times)

electrical

New RMG analog tape samples arrived
« on: May 24, 2006, 08:25:41 PM »

We got samples of 2-inch SM900, 1/2-inch SM900 and 1/2-inch 911 in today. I Am excited that there's another tape supplier back on line, and I'll be trying this out when I can. Everyone is welcome to post their thoughts on the new stock as well.
best,

steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electrical dot com
www.electrical.com

Plush

Re: New RMG analog tape samples arrived
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 10:00:47 PM »

Don Morris also came by our place today with 1/2" 900.
What a great guy! We've been a house of Agfa, BASF, and Emtec since

It is very exciting to test and run this new tape stock.
We'll be testing on a Studer 807 4-track with an Audio Precision set-up and I am particularly curious to see what max. level it will handle.

Usually we are setting up at +9 and hitting the tape conservatively. We'll report back with a complete rundown.
Hudson Fair
Atelier HudSonic, Chicago

http://www.myspace.com/hudsonek

J.J. Blair

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 10:38:08 PM »

What's the price for 2"?
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

mastermind

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 01:18:04 AM »

Niiiiiiice.

When I spoke with Don Morris about a month ago he said that the last to go online would be the 1/2" - something about getting the tape slitting set up correctly.

Anyway, this is good news.... I'll have to get some 1/2" for those sessions where the kids want to print their PT mixes to tape before mastering (something I really don't promote, but if the client has it stuck in their head that bouncing their digital mix off 1/2" is a wonderful idea I'll at least give it a try).

t

trevor sadler

bigaudioblowhard

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 02:43:47 PM »

mastermind wrote on Wed, 24 May 2006 23:18

Niiiiiiice.

When I spoke with Don Morris about a month ago he said that the last to go online would be the 1/2" - something about getting the tape slitting set up correctly.

Anyway, this is good news.... I'll have to get some 1/2" for those sessions where the kids want to print their PT mixes to tape before mastering (something I really don't promote, but if the client has it stuck in their head that bouncing their digital mix off 1/2" is a wonderful idea I'll at least give it a try).

t

A little off topic, but agreed, I've had varying results from doing this.

Best with conservative levels. Align machine to +6/185 30 ips, +3 at 15 ips and go for about "0" level to achieve gentle tape compression.

Maybe with new tape around, this will be more popular. Oh boy, something extra to bill for at mastering.

bab

daniel

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 10:19:49 AM »

Anybody get to use this tape yet?  Just checking.  Let us know!  Thanks,
-daniel

Greg Norman

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 05:50:42 PM »

I've worked on the 2" 900,
The sonics compare with the old 900, with slightly bolder high frequency response (1/2dB higher @15k, 3/4dB higher @20k, 15IPS CCIR EQ).

daniel

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 03:31:32 PM »

i called RMG to try to get 1" and they told me they wouldn't have any until july (realistically, august).  bummer.  i would have liked to have heard it with some sessions i'm doing in july.  oh well.  

daniel

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 09:34:11 AM »

anybody using this stuff?  any comments on it's quality or availability?  i'm still waiting for the one inch to go on sale.  
-daniel
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 19 queries.