R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: "Mix it like a record" DVD?  (Read 24496 times)

Pingu

Re: "Mix it like a record" DVD?
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2006, 01:40:41 AM »

brett wrote on Sat, 01 April 2006 11:04

these videos are priceless for those not able to sit in on sessions. I ordered the DVD and I'll buy JJ's too. Many of us have good technique but are missing jsut a few things that seperate our work from the big dogs. These kinds of videos close that gap by revealing our mistakes and giving us new ideas. It's not just
"copy this" method. They stimulate us to try new things.  There is plenty of intro stuff out there, and it is time we got some intermediate to advanced learning tools. The advanced stuff you can only get by hands on or OTJ training. These pro's at work with sessions we can touch and mix do just that.

Thats so true.
If I defend myself I am attacked. But in defenselessness I will be strong, and I will learn what my defenses hide.

thephatboi

« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2006, 09:39:12 PM »

Hey Charles, I was at your seminar a few weeks ago at RSPE in universal city (LA). Thanks for your presentation, too bad the Digi and sales guys wouldn't allow more time to talk, you know what they are all about; sell sell sell:) I really enjoyed it. It would be nice if more tracking and mixing engineers made the rounds like that, there are alot of "new" engineers who have never used a tape machine or a board or proper mic technique etc. so I think some learning from people who have can only be good.

thanks again,
Sean Ingodsby, Ojai, CA

brett

« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2006, 10:54:02 AM »

Pingu wrote on Sun, 26 March 2006 18:34

Charles, for the guys that can not gain access to some of the plugs you use for saturation in the Ptle environment or vst, can you recommend any other plugs as a substitute worthy to take the place of the AC1 specifically and the DUY tape.

Cheers

Studio Channel SC-226
$129.00

stereo channel recording plug-in
The Nomad Factory Studio Channel SC-226 is a stereo channel recording plug-in, featuring four band equalizer, an analog "signature" optical compressor and at the heart of the shelving and bell filters, a tube simulator and Brick-Wall peak limiter designed to reproduce the warmth of vintage recordings with unrivaled quality and realism. The Studio Channel is tube style virtual equalizer / compressor. It is equally suited for delicate vocal as well as dynamic instrument recordings such as lead guitar, bass guitar, drums and horns. The algorithm was designed to emulate the response of a high-end vintage analog equalizer/compressor. The Studio Channel plug-in is available in RTAS, VST and AudioUnit format for MAC OSX and Windows 2000/XP.

doesn't do dual mono and that seems to be where AC1 comes alive. Logic doesn't allow dual mono plugs. I don't think DP does either, so it needs to be built into the plug design to have a dual mono mode. Nomad makes a compressor that has the dual mono switch. Maybe they can add this feature to a later version. It is also tube saturation and not class A, but the soft clip limiter might exibit similar charater to the AC1. I haven't demoed it yet. I'll try it out though.

I did load the PT session from the Milar DVD. I don't have most of the plug-ins. The use of Soundtoys pitch blender eats up most of my mix card so I had to turn it off, and then just using d-verbs on the buses, i ran out of dsp before I had even laoded all of them. My mix plus just can't handle that many reverbs and certainly can't handle much when running pitch blender. Natively my dual 1.42 can handle way more processing than the mix cards but with the limitation of TDM only on buses this mix just isn't possible on my setup. So, I'll have to go to the individual part sessions to try and use them with the video.

I do like it and think is entertaining to watch and learned quite a bit.

What I would like to see from you Charles, is a series of advanced DVD's. Where you take up where y ou left off here and just go through mixing of different types of music. Like a hip-hop track, or a R&B track with loads of vox. And, you could just right to the mixing assuming we had completed the first DVD's and learned and understand the techniques.

George_

« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2006, 04:30:51 PM »

I think the video is gay Very Happy

I dont like it(content, much blahblah in the first 25 minutes, nor do I like the cutting.

but thats a matter of taste Cool

cheers from a fukked up metalhead Twisted Evil
"BORN A ROCKER, DIE A ROCKER"

George Necola

J.J. Blair

« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2006, 09:31:17 PM »

George, that was your 666th post, FYI.

Anyway, about this gay thing: Was it the moustache that creeped you out?  I was thinking it was more of a heterosexual Dennis Weaver kind of moustache.  But maybe in Switzerland, it has a completely different connotation.

(Sorry Charles!  I had to go there.  You are welcome to give some back.)
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

George_

« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2006, 01:42:24 AM »

Quote:

Very Happy Wise decision, I waited till my 666 post.. well as we all known, there was  a translation error and in principal the number of the beast is 616.. but who cares.. I am atheist;)

Quote:

Anyway, about this gay thing: Was it the moustache that creeped you out? I was thinking it was more of a heterosexual Dennis Weaver kind of moustache. But maybe in Switzerland, it has a completely different connotation.

moustache is one thing, but his talking (CONTENT and Behavior) was a huge pain in the ass to listen to it.. and he seems gay.. but

as I said, I dont care in general if someone is jewish, catholic whatever.. (I make an exception for Ross Cool ) so he can be gay or not.. thats not my problem.

and JJ.. who am I to decide wheter its good or not.. just an opinion.. maybe its this startwars thing. you are a fan or you hate it. since I know who is under the white robot jackets I love it..

http://place-au-fussoir.blogspirit.com/images/medium_dessous_starwars.jpg

so maybe I have to go deeper and watch the movie again;)

cheers JJ

George Necola

Samc

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2006, 04:21:51 PM »

Pingu wrote on Sat, 01 April 2006 07:40

brett wrote on Sat, 01 April 2006 11:04

these videos are priceless for those not able to sit in on sessions. I ordered the DVD and I'll buy JJ's too. Many of us have good technique but are missing jsut a few things that seperate our work from the big dogs. These kinds of videos close that gap by revealing our mistakes and giving us new ideas. It's not just
"copy this" method. They stimulate us to try new things.  There is plenty of intro stuff out there, and it is time we got some intermediate to advanced learning tools. The advanced stuff you can only get by hands on or OTJ training. These pro's at work with sessions we can touch and mix do just that.

Thats so true.

That's why I'm so excited about the brain surgery DVD being put out by my doctor.  I think he's going to call it "Operate like a (real) SURGEON" or something like that.
Sam Clayton

Charles Dye

« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2006, 11:44:38 PM »

myNameIsGeorge wrote on Wed, 05 April 2006 01:42

Quote:

Very Happy Wise decision, I waited till my 666 post.. well as we all known, there was  a translation error and in principal the number of the beast is 616.. but who cares.. I am atheist;)

Quote:

Anyway, about this gay thing: Was it the moustache that creeped you out? I was thinking it was more of a heterosexual Dennis Weaver kind of moustache. But maybe in Switzerland, it has a completely different connotation.

moustache is one thing, but his talking (CONTENT and Behavior) was a huge pain in the ass to listen to it.. and he seems gay.. but

as I said, I dont care in general if someone is jewish, catholic whatever.. (I make an exception for Ross Cool ) so he can be gay or not.. thats not my problem.

and JJ.. who am I to decide wheter its good or not.. just an opinion.. maybe its this startwars thing. you are a fan or you hate it. since I know who is under the white robot jackets I love it..

cheers JJ

mmmmmmwaahhhh...

Love you too, Georgie.

You're so adorable when you get your panties all caught up in a tizzy.
Turn Me Up!™ – Bringing Dynamics Back to Music

MySpace – Our network of narcissistic sycophants...
MiLaR Forum – Advanced Mixing Forum + MiX iT! Global Mixing Event
Mix It Like A Record – DVD/DAW Based Mixing Course

George_

« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2006, 08:32:29 AM »

this can turn into a real bitchy thread;)

wait.. I dont know how much you earn by selling your dvds.. but I think its on the positive side.. how much does I earn from beeing in musicindustrie.. hm maybe (minus) - 35'000$ a year;)

so we should stop here, shake hands and have a beer;)

Cool  Cool

but DONT COME CLOSE Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil

George Necola

Fibes

« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2006, 01:15:06 PM »

Umm,

Uh, i'm supposed to know what is going on uh, i dunno.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

idiophone

« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2006, 07:09:38 PM »

Charles, what I've learned from the DVD is the scope of the freedom in modern mixing. What you're doing is creating a second signal path with each track in the mix, via the distortion enhancements, DUY tape stuff, etc. I was a little too rigid with my rules before, thinking "well, I recorded that with tubes in it before, so I don't need it now", but I learned through MILAR that anything really, truly does go.

Thanks!
~id
West and Wewaxation

J.J. Blair

« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2006, 07:16:09 PM »

I've never seen Charles Dye's DVD, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Fletcher

« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2006, 07:54:19 PM »

Well golly George... you're up to 668 posts now [the neighbor of the beast]...

Should I be paying attention to this thread?

Would someone be kind enough to PM me a synopsis before I shut this down Very Happy  Rolling Eyes  Twisted Evil  Shocked  Cool
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

J.J. Blair

« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2006, 09:36:14 PM »

Fletcher, yeah.  Some people like Charles' DVD.  George thinks his moustache and the editing is gay.  
studio info

brett

« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2006, 11:28:57 PM »

myNameIsGeorge wrote on Wed, 05 April 2006 06:42

cheers JJ

If you're going to make an attempt at an inteligent analogy using Starwars, you should know the Storm Troopers are clones of Jango Fett... the father of Boba Fett (his personal baby clone. They are not robots!!!  You should watch Episode II, Clone Wars. Sorry, I am a Star Wars nerd. I bought the Japanese box set with all 6. Just watched them all in chronological order.

And , Charles, you're a freaking stud no matter what people in switzerland say!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 15 queries.