R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: "Mix it like a record" DVD?  (Read 24535 times)

Pingu

Re: "Mix it like a record" DVD?
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2006, 02:39:19 AM »

Charles Dye wrote on Fri, 13 January 2006 18:08

Pingu wrote on Sat, 07 January 2006 22:07

Hi Charles, its great to have you here.

I just re read my post and i would like to mention now that you are here that reading your column HDL helped me tremendously, so much so that it shaped mixing style. Ive had to learn how to deal with less plugs as i dont have a HD rig.

Anyhow for what its worth your HDL really helped me out, i read it like 5 times and i also cant live without saturation.
(Distortion of Reality) i think you put it.
I will be getting Milar soon also.

Thanks for everything.
My mixing has improved because of you.

Thank you very much, Pingu.

Writing the 12 Hard Disk Life columns was very invigorating + cathartic for me. It really helped me understand the decisions I make when mixing. I'm glad you learned from it.

I'm also really happy to hear your mixing has improved. It's posts like yours that made all the work that went into the column worth it.

All the best,
C

No thank you Charles. I think I honestly would have given up if it wasn't for Hard Disk Life. A lot of encouraging sentences.

1 in particular that i liked was you said that a mix is never perfect, instruments are supposed to stick out.
I loved that cause i used to and still drown myself with trying to perfect a mix.

I also appreciated how you said even though you don't feel your mixes are improving they are.

I also have the Kagi media DVD and i learned a lot from that also.

It shows true skill and knowledge when a human being openly reveals there hard earned secrets.

Thanks again.

If I defend myself I am attacked. But in defenselessness I will be strong, and I will learn what my defenses hide.

Brendan Thompson

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2006, 06:24:58 AM »

Is there a place I can get the columns online? CharlesDye.com doesn't seem to have them, nor does HardDiskLife.com so I'm kinda lost as to where they might be if they're even still online at all.

Nice work on this year's CaPE mix, btw.
http://home.no.net/nightguy/images/teambunny2.gif

I'm currently out of my mind, please leave a message after the scream...

Charles Dye

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2006, 10:34:17 AM »

Brendan Thompson wrote on Sat, 14 January 2006 06:24

Is there a place I can get the columns online?

The column can be found @ www.harddisklife.com. Select the HdL Column menu @ the top. There are also articles about mixing + recording in the Articles menu.

And thanks Brendan, we really had a blast this year with Team Zodiac.
Turn Me Up!™ – Bringing Dynamics Back to Music

MySpace – Our network of narcissistic sycophants...
MiLaR Forum – Advanced Mixing Forum + MiX iT! Global Mixing Event
Mix It Like A Record – DVD/DAW Based Mixing Course

Charles Dye

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2006, 07:54:58 AM »

Extreme Mixing wrote on Tue, 10 January 2006 19:14

Charles, I have a question.  From the screen shots on the DVD, it looks like you do most of your fader rides with the hand tool.  Do you find that you prefer that to faders, or just riding things with a mouse or trackball?

Yeah, I'm a trackball-jockey.

I've found I really don't use faders very much anymore. For me, graphic editing is faster + more precise. I can turn down the level of an 8 bar section in way less time than it would take for me to play the 8 bars + write it in with a fader.

Charles Dye

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2006, 07:56:57 AM »

And thanks to everyone's kind words.

Pingu

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2006, 12:34:05 PM »

Charles, for the guys that can not gain access to some of the plugs you use for saturation in the Ptle environment or vst, can you recommend any other plugs as a substitute worthy to take the place of the AC1 specifically and the DUY tape.

Cheers
If I defend myself I am attacked. But in defenselessness I will be strong, and I will learn what my defenses hide.

brett

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2006, 12:21:56 AM »

Looks like a great lesson. I have been using PT for about a year and I work hard, not smart. And there are so many plugs out there that are jsut no usable for much and if used wrong ruin the music. This is the kind of thing I have been needing. Thanks for the heads up. I also saved the web pages for the "hard disk life". So, until my DVD get's here I am going to read through those.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2006, 01:52:26 AM »

I liked Charles' moustache.  It's got that vintage vibe, like a Doobie Brothers record.

Smile

Just out of curiosity, how many of you would buy a DVD that explained recording in detail, from how sound works, to every step of the signal path in theory and practice?  Or how about one that documented recording sessions with well known engineers?
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

trock

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2006, 11:38:08 AM »

JJ

i would buy a whole series of those

today

trock

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2006, 11:44:09 AM »

and i think you would find a huge market for these from the home guys/gals.

i bought this and the one from the guy in nashville (yes i am drawing a blank right now)

alot of people had pro's and con's about both of these but you know what? for us home guys trying to figure it all out, these are invaluable. i figure it like this, if i spend 125 bucks on a dvd and learn 2+ things that really elevate my own recordings then this was incredibly worth it and fun.

i think you will find that the person who realizes there is a huge market of hungry home people trying to learn this but shut off from the top guys, that if you put together something like a line of How to from "X" with the different top guns in the industry, with different approachs and techniques etc

that you and those people could make a mint

say, this is a damn good idea!

trock

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2006, 11:46:10 AM »

I think i read somewhere that GS has 16K memebers?

you would sell 10K copies there alone

sorry if i have gone overboard on this but this is a huge hole in the market of "how to" training, and i think it would be incredibly exciting

Pingu

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2006, 12:18:17 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Thu, 30 March 2006 14:52

I liked Charles' moustache.  It's got that vintage vibe, like a Doobie Brothers record.

Smile

Just out of curiosity, how many of you would buy a DVD that explained recording in detail, from how sound works, to every step of the signal path in theory and practice?  Or how about one that documented recording sessions with well known engineers?

YesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYes  YesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYes  YesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYes  YesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYes  YesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYes  YesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYes

J.J. Blair

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2006, 04:59:11 PM »

Well, stay tuned.  I hope to have something very cool for you in a month or two.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Pingu

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2006, 09:18:09 PM »

goodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgood    goodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgood    goodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgood    goodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgood    goodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgood  goodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgood

brett

« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2006, 10:04:10 PM »

these videos are priceless for those not able to sit in on sessions. I ordered the DVD and I'll buy JJ's too. Many of us have good technique but are missing jsut a few things that seperate our work from the big dogs. These kinds of videos close that gap by revealing our mistakes and giving us new ideas. It's not just
"copy this" method. They stimulate us to try new things.  There is plenty of intro stuff out there, and it is time we got some intermediate to advanced learning tools. The advanced stuff you can only get by hands on or OTJ training. These pro's at work with sessions we can touch and mix do just that.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 21 queries.