R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: "Mix it like a record" DVD?  (Read 24551 times)

archtop

Re: "Mix it like a record" DVD?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2006, 05:46:51 PM »

Andres Gonzalez wrote on Thu, 05 January 2006 11:23

Charles speaks way too slow.  

Thats for us on the short bus
Richard Williams

Charles Dye

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2006, 11:04:39 AM »

Thanks for the kind words, and constructive criticism.

Just some random responses:

I happen to use a lotta plugz cuz I like the sound after the plugz + not before. Since the most I might use are five + three of them would be normal plugz like a comp, gate + EQ, then if ya don't like the saturation plugz that's cool.

But many of us who have incorporated sat plugz into our process (there are tons of VST equivs) couldn't work without them any longer. And like all this shit, what works for me, might not for you + that's cool too. But I highly recommend @ least demoing some of them, cuz they truly broaden your sonic palette.

I didn't record the tracks on this song. I didn't even know the band when they were recorded. Every tweak I did to the tracks was done because the band + I thought it was necessary to realize our aural vision. And the mix was done months before Jon Kagi contacted me + suggested doing a DVD.

I

speak

waaaaayyyyyyy

too

slow.

But I'm pleasant on the phone.
Turn Me Up!™ – Bringing Dynamics Back to Music

MySpace – Our network of narcissistic sycophants...
MiLaR Forum – Advanced Mixing Forum + MiX iT! Global Mixing Event
Mix It Like A Record – DVD/DAW Based Mixing Course

trock

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2006, 04:02:56 PM »

Hi Charles

thanks for posting, i want to clarify a little by what i meant with the "all those plugs" comment

first i was def interested in what you used and why, since i too will be mixing all in the box here at home

my only real problem was not knowing or having alot of those plugs i wasn;t sure what i had that might be comparable. i did write down what you were using and priced some of them out. for me to get all of that or close is out of my price range right now so i was trying to figure out what i could do with what i had.

I have now finished the whole DVD and the automation part was great, that will really be some stuff for me to try. the automation process in SAW is a beautiful thing, so in that case i can emulate and experiment right along with you and then on my own. i liked your explanations behind the reason for why you did what you did and where.

i am surprised all the top guys are not doing this. the greatest thing in the world would be for the Fletchers, albini's, mannings, lange's, eno's etc etc do these type of DVD's on a session. i would think they woud be a huge seller to the masses of home hobbyst's.

So all in all i enjoed it quite alot and will be re watching to take some notes and try a few things on my own.

really between the great forum here and things like this DVD all have been SOOOOO helpful to someone like me. you have no idea.

thanks

Fibes

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2006, 04:05:29 PM »

I think the most amazing thing is that Charles drove out there from Miami alone.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

Charles Dye

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2006, 01:54:16 PM »

And on one tank of gas. Very Happy

Charles Dye

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2006, 01:55:22 PM »

And and your very welcome Tim.

Pingu

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2006, 10:07:13 PM »

Hi Charles, its great to have you here.

I just re read my post and i would like to mention now that you are here that reading your column HDL helped me tremendously, so much so that it shaped mixing style. Ive had to learn how to deal with less plugs as i dont have a HD rig.

Anyhow for what its worth your HDL really helped me out, i read it like 5 times and i also cant live without saturation.
(Distortion of Reality) i think you put it.
I will be getting Milar soon also.

Thanks for everything.
My mixing has improved because of you.
If I defend myself I am attacked. But in defenselessness I will be strong, and I will learn what my defenses hide.

Andres Gonzalez

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2006, 10:39:42 PM »

I must admit I have to pause the DVD several times to take in all the good information you provide in your presentation Charles. So, in this case I guess you are talking too fast.  Smile

I have really been learning alot from your DVD. Much has been said here about your use of many plugins. I have found your comments about those many plugins to be very helpful. Since I was not familiar with many of them, it was most helpful to me to hear your opinion on them and why you were using them in a particular situation.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I have found your DVD well worth the price paid and I am learning much from it.

-Andres

Bryson

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2006, 07:51:21 AM »

-

wavdoctor

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2006, 11:11:38 AM »

If anyone has a copy they would like to part with..I have an upcoming trip and would like some filler that actually interests me..I don;t want to shell out 150.00 for a new one..I dont use PT and not many plugins either..just want some entertainment..And I'm open minded.
contact me please.. Smile

hbrookes@bwiairport.com

Thanks, Harry
Sunset Mastering & Recording
Harry Brookes

Extreme Mixing

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2006, 07:14:21 PM »

wavdoctor wrote on Tue, 10 January 2006 08:11

If anyone has a copy they would like to part with..I have an upcoming trip and would like some filler that actually interests me..I don;t want to shell out 150.00 for a new one..I dont use PT and not many plugins either..just want some entertainment..And I'm open minded.
contact me please.. Smile

hbrookes@bwiairport.com

Thanks, Harry

I've seen it.  Not sure I could drive and watch it, but hey, if Charles made it from Miami to Seattle on one tank, who am I to say you can't pull it off.  I think it's a useful DVD for many out there.  It's not often you get to look over someone's shoulder, especially if you live in Des Moines.

And for you hard-core critics out there, think how silly YOU would sound telling a video camera how you feel about mixing and why you do the things you do in a mix.  I always go with, "hey, it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I think I'll do my own DVD.  MILAD.

Mix it like a DEMO.

Charles, I have a question.  From the screen shots on the DVD, it looks like you do most of your fader rides with the hand tool.  Do you find that you prefer that to faders, or just riding things with a mouse or trackball?

Steve

billkahler

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2006, 02:58:44 PM »

Really good info with these dvds - I just finished watching both of them. The video editing seems as though it was done by someone on Starbucks crack and adds nothing but distraction. Also when showing the track before adding the plug in there is annoying bumper music and then an example of plugs added. Would have been much more effective to have silence in between for better A / B ing. Maybe Charles hooked up with a camera crew left over from Miami Vice. Save some bucks and rent it at [edited by moderator] I'm not affiliated, I just saved some bucks. There were fingerprints on my copy and when i washed them off, much of the home-burned-home-printed ink came off as well. I think if someone is going to charge this much for a product they should at least get it professionally duped. Also, there is an excellent DVD on tracking-through-mixing called Russ Long's Guide to Nashville Recording. It isn't country - kind of pop/rock and it's done very well and much more reasonably priced. Much better editing etc. Check out both of them though as they go different places. Just get ready with Charles' to feel your head start to ache with the rapid fire crazy location editing and slow speech.

[Note: until clearance is given, renting unlicensed products is illegal. Please take everything in this post with a grain of salt as we have no way of knowing whether the copy written about was a true licensed copy or an illegal copy.]
freedownloadsatbillkahlerdotcomrootsyfolkyrockcdsetc

trock

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2006, 06:00:23 PM »

I disagree a little on the russ long DVD. yes more moderately priced but a little misleading in that the second half of the DVD Russ is supposed to take you thru recording with SM 57 mics and a mackie and thats it, to show you the sound difference between that and what he did with the top of the line stuff (pendulum, massenberg etc) in the first half of the DVD

the problem with this is he did track with the 57's but he still RAN them THRU the top Pre's etc so it was very misleading

i wrote them and asked them about that and they were very nice and answered me and said yes i had a point. but it is still a good DVD and he goes alot into Mic placement etc and the actual tracking part which is GREAT on this DVD

Extreme Mixing

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2006, 08:42:42 PM »

But who does tracking anymore...

Steve

Charles Dye

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2006, 01:08:47 PM »

Pingu wrote on Sat, 07 January 2006 22:07

Hi Charles, its great to have you here.

I just re read my post and i would like to mention now that you are here that reading your column HDL helped me tremendously, so much so that it shaped mixing style. Ive had to learn how to deal with less plugs as i dont have a HD rig.

Anyhow for what its worth your HDL really helped me out, i read it like 5 times and i also cant live without saturation.
(Distortion of Reality) i think you put it.
I will be getting Milar soon also.

Thanks for everything.
My mixing has improved because of you.

Thank you very much, Pingu.

Writing the 12 Hard Disk Life columns was very invigorating + cathartic for me. It really helped me understand the decisions I make when mixing. I'm glad you learned from it.

I'm also really happy to hear your mixing has improved. It's posts like yours that made all the work that went into the column worth it.

All the best,
C

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 19 queries.