R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Event ASP8's for mixing? How about the smaller Adams?  (Read 6418 times)

brett

Event ASP8's for mixing? How about the smaller Adams?
« on: April 15, 2006, 08:08:09 PM »

I need new monitors. I have DS90's and I am sick of trying to mix on them and falling short. I bought them years ago when I had a vs880, but it is time for new monitors. My budget is thin. My freind who mixes on a event 20/20's has put out some very good sounding records that he even mastered himself on those speakers.

I have recently heard good things about Event ASP8's from people who don't have $5k for a set of adam S3a's.

Would I be bettter buying the passive low end adam ANF -10 or maybe saving up for a pair of P11-A's. How do the lower end Adams add up in comparison to the Event ASP8's.

Also mackie has the 626's but I have heard so many here talk about how they sweaten and they are not a true image.

I also was wondering about the Adam p series in general. The P33 is like a scaled down S3A. Is it worht $3k? does it sound similar to a S3A?

I am looking to spend between $1200-$1500

trock

Re: Event ASP8's for mixing? How about the smaller Adams?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 09:02:08 PM »

I have the events and love them, got them for 900 a pair new. my website is in my sig, listen, all of it was mixed and mastered on them

just my opinion

i am sure many are better

brett

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 07:58:48 PM »

Sounds good. The stuff I do is so thick on the bottom and layered, I need really good bottom end and good imaging in the low mids. These are two things that have been turning out muddy on my DS90's.

James Duncan

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 09:37:02 PM »

I personally believe that monitors are such a personal thing that you cannot make a decision like this by asking on the forums. You need to listen to them...IN YOUR ROOM. That is really the only way you are going to know for sure.
James Duncan

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
Napoleon Bonaparte

brett

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 12:29:28 AM »

James Duncan wrote on Mon, 17 April 2006 02:37

I personally believe that monitors are such a personal thing that you cannot make a decision like this by asking on the forums. You need to listen to them...IN YOUR ROOM. That is really the only way you are going to know for sure.

I disagree. Opinions from others definately help when narrowing down choices and when listening,and help you know what to look for.  If others get good mixes on them then so can I. If I had come to this forum before buying my DS-90's I would have made a smarter purchase. Never thought about, or had the wisdom to know what to listen for at that time and the shortcomings of these monitors would have been abvious to me. But they weren't and I have regreted them since.

so, I would prefer to discuss the ASP8's and other monitors in the $1200-1500 range. What you like and don't like about the ASP8 rather than hear some wise engineer say, "just use your ears" That just doesn't help me at all.

Middleman

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 08:30:12 PM »

Ok. I did a review of many monitors and it came down to three for me. Dynaudio, JBL and Events ASP8s. The JBLs were $2K and really out of my price range but I thought the best overall for accuracy and precision across the spectrum.

I settled on the ASP8s because $1000 was in my range and the low end was tighter and more accurate than the Dynaudio speakers. Although, the Dynaudios were very accurate in the mid-range and I thought would make a great second set for radio range. I wanted a more translateable image however that would allow me to mix once and just have to make a few minor adjustments on headphones and maybe a boombox. I was not convinced that the Dynaudios would give me this. I listened in several different spaces across LA to both these monitors. One thing I noticed about the Events right away is the reverb tails, they are extremely clear and defined on the CD tracks I used and the Dynaudios did not reveal this information as clearly. Another aspect was that I could hear into the sound and was able to determine the elements i.e. delays, panning and image depth of various instrument much easier.

After getting the ASP8s home, and bass trapping my 11x12 room, I was very pleased with the results. I can dial in a basic mix in a very short time frequency wise which is nice. Translation is usually about 90% but with a few minutes on headphones I end up with a finished product which stands up to the car CD test.

In the $1000 price range, I don't think you can do any better and the difference between the JBLs and the Events was about 15% better overall in clarity, not worth the extra $1000 to me, but someday I may make the jump.

brett

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 04:08:55 PM »

Thanks for the info. I was looking at the Adam ANF10's but would need a sub with them. The sp8's go low, really low for their size which had me thinking they probably wouldn't go loud without brekaing up. But in my apartment I need to be able to mix at a normal listening level. Are the SP8's accurate at lower volume levels?

this is soimthing my roalnds don't do well. I have to crank them to mix on them and then my ears get fatigued quickly and my landlord comes knocking.

trock

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 08:25:55 PM »

Hi Brett

i certainly don;t mix too loud most of the time, i have a mackie Big knob and it is usually at the 9am position on the volume know, what i would consider a 3

i am just a home guy but you can hear the mixes i did off my sig link. those were all mixed relatively low

i think they are quite cles. i also have a set of JBL LSR25's and the mackie's a re way clearer at a low setting

meverylame

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 01:41:53 PM »

[quote title=brett wrote on Mon, 17 April 2006 00:29]
James Duncan wrote on Mon, 17 April 2006 02:37

What you like and don't like about the ASP8 rather than hear some wise engineer say, "just use your ears" That just doesn't help me at all.

Well, he was being pretty spot on, but if you want conjecture...

I think ASP8 are maybe some of the worst monitors around.. Really, nothing but hatred for those things. They will LIE like dogs. I found the low end to be exceptionally fishy, sounds like a home hi-fi system with the "X-TEND BASS" feature on. The midrange on them is insanely subdued as well, especially around like 250-500. I would personally look at the JBL LSR 4628s or Tannoy reveal 8Ds, but again like what has already been said, its a personal thing, so YMMV.  
Cheers!
Jason Kingsland

http://www.jasonruinsrecords.com

brett

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 05:28:09 AM »

Quote:

I would personally look at the JBL LSR 4628s or Tannoy reveal 8Ds, but again like what has already been said, its a personal thing, so YMMV.  

thanks for your opinion. the thing is, it is so obvious that it is a personal thing the redundancy is wasted to tell a person on a forum to not value others' insight. Everything in audio is a personal thing whether it's a mic pre or mic, amp, desk etc etc etc. these forums are here to discuss these things and then formulate our own opinion and respect and view things from anothers perspective, and thus we grow a little, maybe.

Sounds like you opinion of the ASP8 is similar to what i am dealing with using roland DS90's the mid is not right. The oposite of what I am dealing with, very present in the mids and the mixes end up "low mid" light. i found that if they are close together and I am in tight I get a good mix, but I get fatigued. the room is good now so I am getting decent mixes, but I want somthing with a good sweet spot when I am 4-5 feet rather than 2-3.

I think I am going to look at BM6's, or ANF-10's with a sub. I just can't seem to find anyone with bad things to say about these two.

jaffa

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2006, 07:19:51 AM »

I was listening to the P11A nearfield Adam's yesterday along with Genelec 8050's. Although the Gen's obviously had more bass extension, I thought the Adam's showed incredible clarity and imaging, I was very impressed! The Adam's were approx.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 19 queries.