R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: "Mix it like a record" DVD?  (Read 24486 times)

trock

"Mix it like a record" DVD?
« on: December 21, 2005, 08:13:06 PM »

Since i am in or almost in the mix process of about 10 songs i am trying to devour as much info as i can from as many sources as i can to learn. i read the gearslutz forum post about Charles Dye and his DVD. especially since i am "all in the box" now that i am ready to mix this is something i was interested in.

http://gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php3?t=50843&page= 1&pp=30

With my home studio i am mixing in SAWstudio with its plugs, sonoris plugs, anwida plugs and WAVES (although i don;t use these much). the built in EQ's and comps are what i am using for the most part although i do use SAW's levelizer at times. i switch between event ASP-8's and JBL LSR25P's and my sony headphones. basically a VERY modest setup

it seems like he has alot of credits and has done some good record/mixes

i don't want this to be a personal thing at all since in the gearslutz forum he seemed like a really nice guy. what i am wondering is if anyone else has this or has seen it and crazy production/locations aside what any of you thought of it.

thanks

Brendan Thompson

Re: "Mix it like a record" DVD?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 11:40:26 PM »

There was a thread about this over on the MARSH in Rec 101 (linky on the left there).

Charles actually posted in the thread too.
http://home.no.net/nightguy/images/teambunny2.gif

I'm currently out of my mind, please leave a message after the scream...

wwittman

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 01:19:31 AM »

"like" a good sounding "record", or a bad sounding "record"?

Good mixing has nothing to do with what format it's mixed in.
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

Extreme Mixing

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 09:22:33 AM »

I haven't seen the DVD.  In the "old" days, we used to assist.  That way we got to see many different engineers work and find what worked and what didn't.  Sometimes, you could learn great lessons from the hacks, too--as in what not to do.  There's nothing better than looking over the shoulder of someone who really knows what's going on and how to get things sounding great.  

From what I can tell, that is the point of the DVD.  He gives you the PT file and then walks you through the mix in person on the video and talks about his intentions and his methods.  Even if he's not your favorite mixer, I'm sure there is plenty to learn and you will benefit from the experience.  I don't know how much of a handicap it will be working on SAW, vs Pro Tools.  Most of the techniques should translate to any platform.  But you may not get the hands on experience you would get if you were using PT and had access to the actual session.  I know I learned a lot by recalling mixes for some great engineers.  There's nothing like sitting in their chair and turning the knobs to try to match their sound.

I'd go for it.

Steve

Fibes

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 10:10:45 AM »

I've heard what Charles can do to raw tracks and it's pretty amazing. He's also a great guy.
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

trock

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 01:57:25 PM »

welp i ordered it, will check it out and hope i learn some stuff.

blueboy

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 03:36:27 PM »

"Only he who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible." ~ Manuel Onamuno

Fletcher

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 09:37:47 AM »

Fibes wrote on Thu, 22 December 2005 10:10

I've heard what Charles can do to raw tracks and it's pretty amazing. He's also a great guy.

I've heard what he can do to 'raw tracks' as well... he's very pleasant on the phone.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Tim Halligan

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 10:48:33 AM »

trock wrote on Fri, 23 December 2005 02:57

welp i ordered it, will check it out and hope i learn some stuff.

Oh, you will learn stuff...

Very Happy

Cheers,
Tim
"Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity." - J. Whynot

"You can tune a room only with a bulldozer." - Andy Peters

wwittman

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2005, 06:52:33 PM »

Fletcher wrote on Fri, 23 December 2005 09:37

I've heard what he can do to 'raw tracks' as well... he's very pleasant on the phone.

hmmm, cryptic!
But interesting.
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

J.J. Blair

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2005, 06:59:02 PM »

Of all the people I've ever bought audio gear from, Fletcher is one of them!
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Pingu

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2005, 11:18:28 AM »

The only thing i dont like about Milar and hard disk life is that
Charles uses so many god dam plugs.

I dont know about you guys but when i started out mixing i read his hard disk life column and it made me feel like i had to put plugs on every track.

I think hes got sponsorship deals with these plugin companies or something.
He also says that when he tracks he does so with the intent of allowing room for plugs so he can show us what we can do with them.

I think the emphasis should be more on tracking and mixing with tracks that dont need to be processed so much, not what we can do with plugins, but then the DVD might not have been made WRT lack of funds as im sure all of those different plugin companies had something to do with helping this get off the ground.

If I defend myself I am attacked. But in defenselessness I will be strong, and I will learn what my defenses hide.

Frob

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2005, 01:25:35 PM »

who knows mabey a tracking dvd is in the works.

trock

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2006, 07:56:45 PM »

since i started this thread i need to now post some intial observations.

first i didn't mind the crazy locations and all the whacky angle shots etc. maybe a little overdone but it def was more interesting than one camera on one guy in one studio droning on and on about his approach to life and a rock song.

second i def think, as most have said, chrarles comes across as a nice guy and certainly seems to know his way around his PT HD rig

third, i LOVE the D COntrol console look, just had to say that, really sweet looking. but i am always blown away by gear and lights and faders and and and

ok

4th - alot of what he talks about in the metaphysical (sp?) realm is ok, and i actually appreciated someone talking about emotion again, i find that very lacking alot today. and when i record and something is really happening and i get goose bumps or am moved i really know i connecting with something, and to me it was nice to just hear that aspect of creativity mentioned

5th - i have absolutley no idea how anyone can use that many plugs on a track, i was very put off by that. not just because he uses that many (more power to him), but why?? i mean i was trying to imagine my stuff with all that on it and i would lose all resemblance to the song i am working with not to mention i have no idea how to control all of that and my PC would explode at some point. now this is his song and his vision and i respect that alot, just FOR ME too many plugs and choices. I am the AC/DC of acoustic.

6th - i am moving on to the other chapters now and will finish this when i am done watching

overall at this point it would be a B for what i have seen and enjoyed watching. now i need to see what i can really learn and take from it

Andres Gonzalez

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2006, 02:23:51 PM »

So far I have only had the time to view the first DVD. However, to me, all of the various camera angles and locations is a distraction at best. I bought this DVD to learn from, not necessarily to be entertained.

I may be just a nervous kind of guy, but, I think Charles speaks way too slow. I sometimes find myself feeling impatient and wish he would hurry up and get to the meat of what he is trying to say.

All in all, I think the DVD is, so far, worth it. I am learning from it.

-Andres  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 15 queries.