R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Who was more influential?  (Read 12159 times)

Ron Steele

Who was more influential?
« on: December 20, 2005, 09:20:41 PM »

Thought this might add to the fun. Very Happy

"I have had PLENTY of my posts torched on other boards. It kind of goes with the territory of pushing the envelope. Their house, their rules. Why can't everyone GET this?"

Adam P

Re: Who was more influential?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 11:38:12 PM »

Well, Tommy Ramone worked on some Hendrix records, and I'd rather listen to Hendrix than The Beatles, so I'm going to say The Ramones.

This question is like asking who's better between Bill Belichek and Peyton Manning.

Craig Montgomery

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 12:16:02 AM »

Where do I vote for George Martian?

cerberus

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 12:25:44 AM »

hard q.. they are so similar; for example:  they both did their best work before bending over for phil spector.

Curve Dominant

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 12:49:11 AM »

Oh, c'mon peoples.

Ricky Martin is WAY better looking than Phil Ramone.

Ronny

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 01:06:33 AM »

Sir George ripped everything he did off of the Ramones.

The Beatles even copied their haircuts.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

BQ

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 07:18:44 AM »

Influential to who?

In sheer numbers of people - it has got to be the Ramones. Much as I respect the work George Martin did for and with the Beatles, and with other groups such as the Goons, I'd have to guess that the group of AEs influenced by the production on those records is far smaller than the number of people who try to write songs that sound like the Ramones.

-Brendan

Ronny

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 01:19:47 PM »

I've never recorded a band that covered a Ramones tune, but countless bands that threw in a Beatle song or two on their album. George Martin's work has had much more exposure worldwide than the Ramones. Maybe because the Ramones are so big in the south. If you measure influential by popularity or record sales, there is no comparison. There is a big difference of originality between the Beatles and the Ramones, WRT composition and arrangement and the Beatles catalog that involved Martin, dwarf's the Ramone's.

A better question would be, who was the most influential?

The Beatles

The Ramones

or, who was the most influential?

George Martin

Phil Ramone  
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

minister

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005, 01:21:39 PM »

what's interesting about "sophie's choice" here is that you have schooled, trained, refined british engineer, and punk no-school (except for r&r high school) primitives.

..but as far as lasting, pervasive influence  billy martin for sure!
tom hambleton C.A.S.
minister of fancy noises
ministry of fancy noises

IMDb

brandondrury

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2005, 02:34:57 PM »

This seams like we are comparing apples and oranges.  

Are we talking about the Beatles or are we talking about George Martin?  

I'd think it's fairly obvious that the Beatles were more influential than the Ramones (but the influence of the Beatles has decreased over the years).

I'd think it's also fairly obvious that George Martin was more influencial than the guy who produced the Ramones.  The only reason I say this is because I know the name George Martin and I don't have a clue who produced the Ramones records.

Brandon

John Ivan

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2005, 03:31:46 PM »

I would say that the first Two Beatle Record's had a bigger impact on the future of pop music than the entire Ramones history..

On top of that,If you look at George Martin's work through the years, I would say we have him to thank for some huge steps forward.

Look at all the stuff that tip's it's hat in the direction of the Fab Four and Sir. George..

Benson did an entire Record of the music.

Black Hole Sun SCREAM's Beatles to me.

The list goes on and on..

Of course, I can only look at this through my own prism and, I'm a huge Beatle/George Martin fan.. Love it!!

Ivan................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

micguy

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2005, 04:58:23 PM »

I think the Martin guitars that George designed are a salient point - lot of artists have used those. Add in his 60's era foray into affordable housing (the Purple Martin houses), and tha fact that the residents help keep mosquitoes in check, and he's the clear winner.

BQ

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2005, 06:45:53 PM »

Ronny wrote on Wed, 21 December 2005 13:19

I've never recorded a band that covered a Ramones tune, but countless bands that threw in a Beatle song or two on their album.

It'd be a better comparison if you could say something like "I've never recorded a band that covered a Ramones song, but countless bands that threw in a version of George Martin's string arrangement of the bus chase scene in Magical Mystery Tour..."

I love the Beatles albums, and (as I said above) give a great deal of credit to George Martin and his involvement with them, but even in the early days (when Martin had the most influence) most of what made the Beatles great was the Beatles themselves. In fact, part of what I admire about George Martin is that from the very beginning he saw his role as being about enabling and empowering the Beatles to realize their vision, rather than forcing his vision on them.

Quote:

George Martin's work has had much more exposure worldwide than the Ramones. Maybe because the Ramones are so big in the south.

Well, since I used to live in Boston, Ma and now live in London, UK I may not be the most qualified person to talk about what's popular or not in the south. Not sure what being "big in the south" has to do with worldwide exposure either

But for what it's worth, nearly every musician my age that I've talked to knows how to play "I wanna be sedated" or another Ramones song. Far fewer know how to play a Beatles song. I'm 34.

Quote:

A better question would be, who was the most influential?

The Beatles

The Ramones

I agree completely.

-Brendan

vernier

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2005, 05:26:02 PM »

Man, I love early Beatles with Martin at the helm.

Colin Frangos

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2005, 06:46:47 PM »

This is silly. What you really want to compare are the Beatles and the Ramones, otherwise there's no contest - and not just because one's a producer and one's a band.

Once the Beatles hit, Martin had his pick of bands to work with and chose Gerry and the Pacemakers, Cilla Black, Billy J. Kramer, and of course Jimmy Shand (the UK's "King of Polka"). Gerry and the Pacemakers I've heard of, but the rest...

So whatever it is you like about those Beatles records, it ain't coming from Martin.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 34 queries.