R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Show us your room  (Read 16056 times)

lagerfeldt

Re: Show us your room
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2005, 05:10:56 AM »

Viitalahde wrote on Fri, 23 December 2005 10:26

lagerfeldt wrote on Fri, 23 December 2005 01:56

Looks nice. What's that light blue machine just above center of the rack?

Very Happy  

That's a Gyraf G10. Prototype.

Right, that's what I thought. How did you get that? Did you build it your self?? I love my G10! Have you tried gaining the input all the way up?

Viitalahde

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2005, 05:40:25 AM »

lagerfeldt wrote on Fri, 23 December 2005 10:10

How did you get that? Did you build it your self??

Well, I was changing some e-mails years back with Jakob Erland, and that ended up in me becoming a sort of a test-driver. I got the documentation, built it and reported back. That was a great thing (and a lot of trust!) from him. It's built in a chassis of an old Rhode & Schwarz tube RF amplifier.

Quote:

Have you tried gaining the input all the way up?

Yep - a very good sound. I like how it has a wide range at the input: it doesn't need to be gained all the way up at the input to get a good sound but the sound also doesn't break up when you crank it. A nice variety of tones can be had by varying the I/O controls.
Jaakko Viitalähde
Virtalähde Mastering, Kuhmoinen/Finland
http://www.virtalahde.com
   http://www.facebook.com/pages/Helsinki-Finland/Virtalahde-Ma stering/278311633180

lagerfeldt

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2005, 06:49:26 AM »

I love it.

When you gain the input above unity it slowly increases the stereo perception and the harmonics increase so nice, opening and fattening the sound at the same time.

Just for fun have you tried looking at a single tone in a frequency analyzer, and then gain the input stage up all the way, and set output just below 12 o clock (to preserve same overall level). Then watch the upper harmonics just skyrocket  Surprised

Viitalahde

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2005, 07:29:56 AM »

lagerfeldt wrote on Fri, 23 December 2005 11:49

have you tried looking at a single tone in a frequency analyzer

I've done a lot of it while calibrating & analyzing this thing.

Actually, I have labeled the I/O controls of the unit in a way where the "0" positions is at unity gain and produces the least distortion with the DAW output level (-8dBFs) I use. From there I tweak the I/O to taste.  Cool
Jaakko Viitalähde
Virtalähde Mastering, Kuhmoinen/Finland
http://www.virtalahde.com
   http://www.facebook.com/pages/Helsinki-Finland/Virtalahde-Ma stering/278311633180

lagerfeldt

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2005, 07:30:53 AM »

Great minds think alike Smile Did the same thing of course

jfrigo

« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2005, 02:21:30 AM »

As for pics...
I understand what you mean, Joe. I can't help sometimes wondering if there's something they don't want us to see when pictures are omitted, though it doesn't necessarily mean anything. But why leave people wondering? A picture does impart information, or at least can give an initial favorable impression and encourage a potential client to further investigate your site. If you're proud of it, show it off.

As for consoles...
I'm not ready to lose consoles yet. Everything has a sonic footprint from a little 6 space rack and a couch, to a desk, to a tape machine. Make the footprint as small as possible, but don't unnecessarily strain the ergonomics of the room. I'm sure BK and Doug (and formerly Denny) are comfortably adapted to the ergonomics or they wouldn't have done it, but they are the exception (so far). 99% of the rooms seem to be getting work done OK with consoles, and I've even heard a couple albums that I like that must have survived the disaster Wink

I'm not insensitive to the issue, however, and do get concerned when I see a monstrous thing with lots of hard, flat surfaces and angles (or lack thereof) that encourage the worst problem reflections. However, a small, well-thought-out console is still more help than harm I think.

As for my pics...
The old L.A. studio photo is on my website which is woefully out of date. That room now belongs to somebody else 'round here. Even my original Atlanta room pic is still on the site below the L.A. pic for the curious. The brand new room has no pics taken yet, though that should happen sometime in January. I posted a couple teaser shots on this forum a month or two ago as the room construction was nearing completion. Here's one of those:
http://www.promastering.com/images/new_room_teaser.jpg

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2005, 12:14:03 PM »

index.php/fa/2099/0/

I've been doing attended sessions here at Georgetown Masters. The console is located behind you with an additional pair of DynAudio speakers that you can use for editing. There is a remote on the Crookwood/SPL router that you can use right from the easy chair to compare different gear or different patches, eq. before or after compression, etc.

The main monitor speakers are by Nova who also made the 5 smaller speakers that are used in the surround room. Those huge power amps are Pass Labs X-1000s.

Moving from the Duntech Sovereigns in my workroom to the Novas turned out to be much easier than I expected. I hear a bit more low-end detail on the Sovereigns but my masters have translated very well between the two systems and to the real world.

Lee Flier

« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2005, 06:50:04 PM »

Having just visited with Bob at Georgetown, I have to say it's an amazing room... not only sonically but the "mojo" is just incredible.  What an inspiring place to work!  And it was great working with Bob too. Smile

Ged Leitch

« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2005, 09:21:05 PM »

Bob Olhsson wrote on Sat, 24 December 2005 17:14

index.php/fa/2099/0/

I've been doing attended sessions here at Georgetown Masters. The console is located behind you with an additional pair of DynAudio speakers that you can use for editing. There is a remote on the Crookwood/SPL router that you can use right from the easy chair to compare different gear or different patches, eq. before or after compression, etc.

The main monitor speakers are by Nova who also made the 5 smaller speakers that are used in the surround room. Those huge power amps are Pass Labs X-1000s.

Moving from the Duntech Sovereigns in my workroom to the Novas turned out to be much easier than I expected. I hear a bit more low-end detail on the Sovereigns but my masters have translated very well between the two systems and to the real world.

Wow Bob, what type of monitors are those shown (the huge ones)
what a lovely looking room!
http://bitheadmastering.co.uk/

"...But I don't wanna be a pirate!"

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2005, 11:54:35 PM »

Isn't that the late great Denny Purcell's room ?
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

jfrigo

« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2005, 02:09:01 AM »

Gerald Leitch wrote on Sat, 24 December 2005 18:21

Wow Bob, what type of monitors are those shown (the huge ones)
what a lovely looking room!

Bob's post says the speakers are by "Nova." Can you tell more about them Bob? Looks like they left the room pretty close to how Denny had it. Were these monitors brought in by him, or since?

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2005, 02:14:48 AM »

A picture of Denny's smiling face looks down on us as we work! The room remains very much a work in progress exactly as it was when Denny was at the helm and there's even more gear and guitars than a year or so ago when I began hanging out. And then there's the lounge...

Again those 600 pound monitor speakers are  Novas, a company in Houston. Denny had switched to them from Duntech Sovereigns when they expanded to accommodate surround. The idea was for both rooms to have the same flavor of speakers and additional Duntechs aren't easily available any more.

Ed Littman

« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2005, 11:50:52 AM »

Bob Olhsson wrote on Sat, 24 December 2005 12:14

index.php/fa/2099/0/

The console is located behind you with an additional pair of DynAudio speakers that you can use for editing.

Bob It looks like your desk is not only behind the client couch but facing the back of the room.
whats with that?
Ed

TotalSonic

« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2005, 12:55:51 PM »

Ed Littman wrote on Sun, 25 December 2005 16:50

Bob It looks like your desk is not only behind the client couch but facing the back of the room.
whats with that?
Ed

According to Bob's post you're doing editing or tweaking settings facing a nearfield system but with your back to the mains.  Not something that would be easy for me to get used to but guess everyone likes to work a little differently -

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2005, 04:04:46 PM »

The room is intended just for eq. sessions. There is a dedicated editing room next door where editing is generally done by a production engineer DURING the EQ session. The remote router switch lets you face the mains most of the time. Not looking at meters, computer screens or gear really helps. Here in my home workroom the meters are under my small desk and the monitor screen is 2/3 below the level of the desktop on the side. I can't see any of it from the sweet spot. I've been working this way for over ten years and I like it!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.