R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Handling Voice Processing  (Read 1417 times)

RadioMan

Handling Voice Processing
« on: January 01, 2006, 03:26:17 PM »

Steve,

I am so greatful that you are so willing to share more indepth and detailed explinations to your recording philosophy and approach.  Thank you, thank you!  Very Happy

I have the typical background of most "Home Office" shops.  Granted, I do some small/basic demo recordings for local bands so they have something they can drop off at the clubs and bars, but my bread and butter is in Voice Over recording and radio ads. Most of the V/O is done in a "dead room".

My question for you is:  Besides having a great set of vocal pipes for the art; where in the audio chain should I be focusing to go for the "Don LaFontain" effect in dry reads?  Mics? EQ? Compression?

Granted, I suspect the simple answer is "Hire 'ole Don to do the ad", but I don't think the ad agency can afford him  Surprised

Any help from the master to get me pointed in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for you time and talent,

Mark Staite

Mike Cleaver

Re: Handling Voice Processing
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 04:28:55 PM »

I'm not the master but really, it's who's in front of the mic that counts.
If expense is no object, a good U87, preferably the old model in excellent shape or a U47 in the same condition, checked and spec'ed by Klaus and a Pendulum Quartet II should do nicely.
There are other great V/O mics if you don't want to spend that much and still get quality sound, such as the RE20 and the SM7.
Ribbons sound great on males and many females.
Try a 44bx or the modern recreation or a 77DX.
For processing, the vast majority of radio/tv outlets use the Symetrix 528e or it's digital equivalent.
Most of my clients simply want a clean dry delivery with only a little compression (2-1)because they're going to add effects and background sound.
It's nice to have a variety of mics available for different clients.
Once you find the mic and processing combination for each particular talent, note the mic used, positioning and processing settings so you can re-create the sound the next time you work with the same person.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Broadcast Studio Design and Consulting
Voiceover Talent
Newscaster
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 20 queries.