R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Why recording in 96k through Lavry Blue sounds clearly better ?  (Read 38841 times)

Ivo

Re: Why recording in 96k through Lavry Blue sounds clearly better ?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2005, 07:34:01 PM »

Jon,

all I can say is that the same instrumental samples recorded alternately in 96 and 44k do sound different (if one listens by switching between the two original sessions). Resampling 96 k to 44k retains most of the 96k sound characteristics that the sound differences are still audible.
Yes, we are listening in 44k now - but within that frequency there is a whole universe of all possible sounds ...
Ivo

VELVET MASTERING
www.velvetmastering.com

SAVITA MUSIC
www.savita.cz

Jon Hodgson

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2005, 02:20:46 AM »

Ivo wrote on Wed, 21 December 2005 00:34

Jon,

all I can say is that the same instrumental samples recorded alternately in 96 and 44k do sound different (if one listens by switching between the two original sessions). Resampling 96 k to 44k retains most of the 96k sound characteristics that the sound differences are still audible.
Yes, we are listening in 44k now - but within that frequency there is a whole universe of all possible sounds ...

Ivo,

I'm not denying the possibility that things will sound different if the output of the Lavry converter is 96kHz rather than 44kHz, they certainly will BE different, since the noise floor at 96kHz is slightly higher, what other differences there are between the two within the audio band I don't know.

But when you compare two different signals, one of which was recorded directly at 44kHz, and one at 96kHz then converted down to 44kHz, then you have three main variables.

1) You are comparing two different signals... sorry but you've got a problem right there (I know it's difficult to avoid, in fact the best way would require internal knowledge of the converter itself and some DSP code).

2) You are comparing TWO DIFFERENT 44kHz samplers.
a) The Lavry fed a direct analogue input
b) The SRC fed a digital input generated by the Lavry.

3) By pre-declaring which is which you also bring in personal bias into the equation. Give me a room of people and I could convince at least some of them that two identical signals were quite obviously different.

If we ignore the last factor in this case, since the signals are measurably different, you still have the first two variables.

You asked the question why the Lavry sounds better at 96kHz than 44kHz, well the simple fact is that if these "improvements" (nicer is not always more accurate) translate through SRC then it is not down to there being 96000 rather than 44100 samples.

If you could send me the original samples (PM me for email) then maybe we could investigate further.

Ivo

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2005, 04:10:04 AM »

Jon,

thank you for your reply. I am far from being any "digital expert", I am just a practical musician following the golden audio rule: if it sounds good, it is good. For sure, I can post also the original 96k samples (or maybe part of them due to their size). I will do it in the evening
Looking forward to the further inspiring and revealing discussion

Sincerely,
Ivo

VELVET MASTERING
www.velvetmastering.com

SAVITA MUSIC
www.savita.cz

Jon Hodgson

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2005, 04:35:55 AM »

Ivo wrote on Wed, 21 December 2005 09:10

Jon,

thank you for your reply. I am far from being any "digital expert", I am just a practical musician following the golden audio rule: if it sounds good, it is good.

You're quite right. But job of engineers and scientists (and this is an engineering and science forum) is to work out WHY it sounds good, once we know that we work to improve or control this particular element.

Simplistic thinking is fine when you're dealing with what is in front of you, so if you prefer the sound of your Lavry converters sampling at 96kHz and then SRCd down to 44kHz, then that is a valid artistic choice. But if you or others jump to the conclusion as to what the cause is, and therefore extrapolate from this that sampling at 96kHz is ALWAYS the best first stage (whatever your converter or your source material or whatever other variable), and then use this to predetermine your recording and purchase decisions, then things go awry.

It's like if you take a ride in a Mercedes that does 160mph and feels really comfortable at 70, and jump to the conclusion that to be comfortable at 70 you need a car which can go at 160... so then you go out and buy a sports car not realizing it has rock hard suspension and will actually be less comfortable at 70 than your family hatchback.

Ivo wrote on Wed, 21 December 2005 09:10

For sure, I can post also the original 96k samples (or maybe part of them due to their size). I will do it in the evening
Looking forward to the further inspiring and revealing discussion

Sincerely,

I may be able to give you some ftp space to upload them to, I have a whole server at my disposal but I'm still working out how to operate it.

bobkatz

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2005, 03:27:50 PM »

Jon Hodgson wrote on Wed, 21 December 2005 02:20

I'm not denying the possibility that things will sound different if the output of the Lavry converter is 96kHz rather than 44kHz, they certainly will BE different, since the noise floor at 96kHz is slightly higher, what other differences there are between the two within the audio band I don't know.

All other things being equal, the signal to noise ratio in the audible band goes up 3 dB when you halve the bandwidth during an SRC. In other words, the noise floor in the 0-20 kHz band of the 96 K file is half that of the noise floor of the 0-40 kHz band.

The other variables are far too great to have a definitive answer why one sounds better. I go for the filters, but you already know that  Smile

Bk
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Mark Lemaire

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2005, 04:33:16 PM »

Ivo-

Thanks for your informative postings and useful samples. Before I tell you my impressions of the converters etc let me thank you for the pleasant music- lovely acoustic sounds.

I am considering upgrading my converters and the Lavry is on my list, as well as considering whether to stop recording at 44.1 and start doing 96k or whatever. I typically consider it useless to record at a high sample rate unless one can hear the results at the final 44.1 rate, so your samples that in final form have been SRC'd to 44.1 suit my purposes well.

Anyway, I downloaded your samples and then, in order to create a blind listening test, relabeled the files with random names so that I would not know the original sample rate-- but I kept a 'key' so I could check my results later. Then I listened to the samples and wrote down my impressions in 2 seperate listening tests.

And my results?

On the drum samples, my results were seemingly random- on both tests I chose either the 44.1 or the 96k samples as 'better' or 'more air' with no correlation as to what the orig sample rate was.

On the Viola tests I disqualified the Vl#1 samples because I had 'which was which' memorized before setting up the blind test. On the blindfold Vl #2 test, I chose the 96k sample as 'more closed" and the 44.1 sample as 'more edge' or 'more top' both times (!)

Monochord: On Mono#1 I chose the 96k sample as having 'more open' and 'better seperation' than the 44.1 sample in both tests. But on the mon #2 samples, I chose the 96k sample as 'more top & seperation' the first test, but then labeled it 'darker/ less air' the second test.

All this means that to my ears the samples are functionally about the same, and there is no need (yet) for me to start using up more HD space to achieve better sound.

Thank you for the opportunity to test my ears this way!

I'd love to hear from others who have set up a blind test for themselves and what they think of the results. I have great trouble trusting my impressions of subtle shifts in audio quality without a blind test.

thanks!

Mark Lemaire
Mark Lemaire

http://www.myspace.com/MarkLemaire

http://www.rubatorecording.com/
Audiophile recording of your music. Anywhere. Anytime.

maxdimario

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2005, 07:16:46 PM »

Quote:

But Max,

These are ALL 44.1kHz samples.

So why do they sound different?

It's NOT the sample rate, because it is the same.

jon,

listen to the bass test samples for now, they are still around I think.

Ivo, please post two short uncompressed sound-files one at 44 and the other at 96 so that we can avoid any arguments.

I'd love to do it, but you have access to a top lavry converter and you have some wonderfully rich-sounding musical instruments.

finally we can end these discussions.

anyway, I've noticed from previous posts that compressed files seem to suffer more than uncompressed files, which makes it even MORE of an issue in today's lo-fi MP3 world...strangely enough!

maxdimario

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2005, 07:20:52 PM »

I was listening on headphones through my computer output (it's a quosmio so it's a slight bit better than average) and the difference was neat and clear-cut.

no mistery to me.

Jon Hodgson

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2005, 07:45:34 PM »

maxdimario wrote on Thu, 22 December 2005 00:20

I was listening on headphones through my computer output (it's a quosmio so it's a slight bit better than average) and the difference was neat and clear-cut.

no mistery to me.

Max,

I'm guessing that your theory as to the explanation of the difference is that sampling at 96kHz is superior to sampling at 44kHz.

But you're comparing two different 44kHz samplers, not a 44kHz and a 96kHz one.

So if there is an improvement, then what it tells you is that for your purposes (since "nicer" is subjective) you prefer the effect of the filtering and quantization in his SRC to the effects of the final decimation filter in the Lavry converter.

Ronny

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2005, 12:08:48 AM »

Mark Lemaire wrote on Wed, 21 December 2005 16:33

Ivo-

Thanks for your informative postings and useful samples. Before I tell you my impressions of the converters etc let me thank you for the pleasant music- lovely acoustic sounds.

I am considering upgrading my converters and the Lavry is on my list, as well as considering whether to stop recording at 44.1 and start doing 96k or whatever. I typically consider it useless to record at a high sample rate unless one can hear the results at the final 44.1 rate, so your samples that in final form have been SRC'd to 44.1 suit my purposes well.

Anyway, I downloaded your samples and then, in order to create a blind listening test, relabeled the files with random names so that I would not know the original sample rate-- but I kept a 'key' so I could check my results later. Then I listened to the samples and wrote down my impressions in 2 seperate listening tests.

And my results?

On the drum samples, my results were seemingly random- on both tests I chose either the 44.1 or the 96k samples as 'better' or 'more air' with no correlation as to what the orig sample rate was.

On the Viola tests I disqualified the Vl#1 samples because I had 'which was which' memorized before setting up the blind test. On the blindfold Vl #2 test, I chose the 96k sample as 'more closed" and the 44.1 sample as 'more edge' or 'more top' both times (!)

Monochord: On Mono#1 I chose the 96k sample as having 'more open' and 'better seperation' than the 44.1 sample in both tests. But on the mon #2 samples, I chose the 96k sample as 'more top & seperation' the first test, but then labeled it 'darker/ less air' the second test.

All this means that to my ears the samples are functionally about the same, and there is no need (yet) for me to start using up more HD space to achieve better sound.

Thank you for the opportunity to test my ears this way!

I'd love to hear from others who have set up a blind test for themselves and what they think of the results. I have great trouble trusting my impressions of subtle shifts in audio quality without a blind test.

thanks!

Mark Lemaire

Mark, let me commend you on your testing methods and your observations. If everyone were using similiar techniques, we'd have a lot less differences of opinions and much less voodoo science theories. While it's better to do blind tests with another participant, you've devised a way to eliminate expectations leading to imagination on a solo test. You are on a good track not trusting sighted impressions.

The more you test in the blind, the more you will realize how easy the ear can be influenced by the other senses, in particular sight. The mind by expectations, mood, fresh ears, fatigued ears, how ceruminous an individual's ears may be, and what previous level the ears are accustomed to, at any given minute of any day.

There are so many variables when trying to determine sample rate differences, that it's pert near impossible when high end gear is used, to pinpoint it down to just the sample rate. Even the best, blind tests, are never perfect and they always seem to pose more questions than they answer, but IMHO, they are the best we've got. It pays to confirm your non-sighted impressions with blind evaluations. If there are significant differences, they will be detected in the blind with more validity than an evaluation that starts with expectations, IMHO.  
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------