R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: WAV file limitations  (Read 20390 times)

Ronny

Re: WAV file limitations
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2006, 04:02:15 PM »

Yannick Willox wrote on Wed, 01 February 2006 09:40

To make matters worse, apparantly the DVD-R format does not support files bigger than 2GB either.

With Nero you can make a session with eg one 4GB file, it burns the dvd, but the file on dvd is only 2GB !
This happens both on PC and on Mac, so it is not an OS problem.

Take care when transporting hires multichannel .wavs to mastering houses - better stay 5x mono or else ...

Yes it is an OS thing in some cases, to be exact file allocation tables. FAT 16 has a max of 2 gigs. If I remember correctly FAT 32 4 gigs. Sean correct me if I'm off base. NTFS, no limit, doesn't matter what type of file it is. Any DAW prog running audio on 16 or 32 FAT is rewriting the header every 2 or 4 gigs which is a valid workaround. DVD+R supports 4.7 gig files. DVD-DL supports close to 9 gig files. I just finished a Scarecrow live concert DVD that was 3.6 gigs. The producer wanted to hear a quick audition of the remastered audio with the video, so I sent him one before I had time to author the chapters. The one file was 3.6 gigs and it burned and played back fine on DVD+R single layer. I was using Nero 6, but uninstalled it less than a month after I bought it, because it kept wanting me to upgrade for MPEG2 and other formats that I thought that it was going to support with the initial fee. I purchased Roxio Media Creator 8 and it's much more comprehensive and doesn't prompt you to upgrade everytime you open it. It has decent DVD editing, which Nero is sorely lacking in.  
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

Gunnar Hellquist

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2006, 07:29:25 PM »

astroshack wrote on Wed, 01 February 2006 11:32

Samplitude and Sequoia both have "invisible" workarounds which allow almost unlimited recording time. Similar to some other programs, they simply create (behind the scenes) another file just before the 2GB limit is reached.

I recently found out that Samplitude has a length limit of 2^32 samples in a VIP due to the design. At 96kHz sampling frequence that should be just short of 6 hours. I still like Sam, but it helps knowing the limitations. (It deoes handle the "beyond 2GByte limit" without problems)

Gunnar
Gunnar Hellquist
unafiliated

pipelineaudio

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2006, 03:40:58 PM »

If you are using Sony/Sonic Foundry apps, the *.w64 option allows for going WAY past the 2 gig limit

Silas Pradetto

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2006, 02:38:39 PM »

DVD+/-R's do support files greater than 2GB when written with the UDF file system, not ISO. And WAVE files can only get to 2GB, but Cubase has a proprietary format that is infinite. They call it WAVE64 or something.
Silas Pradetto

www.SonorousSound.com

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Einstein

UnderTow

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2006, 05:15:33 PM »

Silas Pradetto wrote on Wed, 22 March 2006 19:38

Cubase has a proprietary format that is infinite. They call it WAVE64 or something.

Wave64 is a Sony format. No idea if Cubase supports this or not.

Alistair

funkcity

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2006, 03:08:19 PM »

WAV64  .w64

was designed by Sonic Foundry...now Sony.

Nuendo supports .w64 as you can make very large files.

Use: Awave Audio dedicated audio file format batch converter
http://www.fmjsoft.com/aamain.shtml

btw Microsoft is addressing the 2Gig Wave problem.

Also, if you are recording live you can overlap to new tracks to start a new file and then pull the original track out of record.
"What We've Got Here Is A Failure To Communicate"  Cool Hand Luke  ; - )

Romy The Cat

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2006, 12:04:07 AM »

I wonder if I install that 64 bit erosion of Windows then would I escape that max 2G Wav files limitation?

Jon Hodgson

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2006, 04:05:07 AM »

Romy The Cat wrote on Fri, 28 April 2006 05:04

I wonder if I install that 64 bit erosion of Windows then would I escape that max 2G Wav files limitation?

No

The limitation is down to the format of the file, and not the OS. Applications generally deal with the wav file, including the header, directly. There are no OS calls for "write wav file" or "read wav file" and so on to abstract out the format of the header (whether it contais 32 or 64 bits for the length parameter) and the application

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2006, 01:13:21 PM »

Pepzhez

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2006, 03:53:17 AM »

Apple's  Core Audio Format (CAF) file type was developed for this very reason.

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MusicAudio/Referenc e/CAFSpec/CAF_overview/chapter_2_section_1.html

Has CAF support been added to any of the popular DAWs?
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 17 queries.